Why is Zumba so popular?

Options

Replies

• cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    It's the trendy cardio class of the moment.

Early 90's - Step aerobics
    Late 90's - Kick boxing/Tae Bo
    2000's - Spinning
    2010's - Zumba
    2020 - ??? no classes because we'll all be running from real zombies.

ETA - bootcamp, also popular mid 2000''s
  • manhn1
    manhn1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    There are plenty of step, spin, bootcamp and cardio kick box classes in the present day. What's your point?
  • mdn15
    mdn15 Posts: 145
    Options
    It's great for people who want to do something different.

It's great to get people moving.

It's great for people who just want to get their heart pumping.

It's great for people who don't want to spend time actually dedicated to doing a specific work out.

it's great for people who don't want to research specific workouts- and just get told what to do.

it's also very easily modifiable- you can kind of do whatever and get away with it as long as you are having fun and moving.

And no- that's not a BAD thing- it just is what it is.

it's fun to do different things- and it's easy to just be told what to do. I would do it in addition to my workouts- but i don't have time- I would never SUBSTITUTE Zumba for real training though. I'm not naive.

I agree. In addition, Zumba is easier than
    -running (flat and on hills)
    -pull ups
    -one handed push ups
    -heavy lifting
    -HIIT

I only do Zumba when I've had a crazy training week (2-3 hours/ day 6 days/ wk) b/c I don't want to think and it is "easier"
  • lustergirl
    lustergirl Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I love zumba!! It is totally a fun class and a great way to burn calories. When I first started I was a dunce but have kept at it for quite some time now. Great Workout!!
  • JennaBlu
    JennaBlu Posts: 24 Member
    Options

2000's - Spinning
    2010's - Zumba

Step aerobics with Denise Austin...lol
    Remember Gilad - Bodies in Motion?
    Zumba is great, I love it but of course it is not for everybody...if you like to dance you should like it. And the calorie burn is amazing! I am so salty-sweaty after class.
    Lots of new exercise is evolving and hybrid classes such as boxing and pilates are being formed...keeps you challenged and mentally interested too.
  • Juanwi
    Juanwi Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I enjoy Zumba and, like others, I didn't want to. Everyone was doing it, and it looked so silly. The time does go by very quickly, and the upbeat music keeps it fun. I think you have to find the right instructor. Some are too difficult for me.

Although, as with anything, if I do it too long I get bored. If I do too much Zumba I don't want to do it anymore. I tried to keep my cardio switched up so that I'm not always doing the same thing.
  • Juniper3411
    Juniper3411 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I'd like to try it, but mostly because I have danced (all different types) for a good portion of my life :)

Though I broke my ankle badly in three places about a year ago, and my dance moves aren't quite as great anymore with the lack of flexibility in the ankle. All of the classes at my gym just don't seem to be very convenient for me, so it has been difficult to get to a class.

We'll see how it goes if I do try it. There is one tonight at 6:30, if I'm not too tired I might go.
  • kgeiger141
    kgeiger141 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Zumba looks like one of the most outrageous and crazy activities that a person can partake in.

But if you let yourself go and focus on the fact that everyone in the class looks like a fool too, it will probably be the most fun you've had working out (if you're a dancing person). The time goes by so much faster than other workouts and I don't get bored with it. The dances change with each song, adding variety into your workout. And if you have an enthusiastic instructor, it's even better!

I am a HUGE fan of zumba and would reccommend it to anyone to try, at least once!
  • Juanwi
    Juanwi Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    For those who can't seem to get to a class, I purchased Zumba Fitness Rush for the Kinect, and I find that I actually get a better workout in the 20 minute class on the game than the actual class in real life. I imagine if I did the hour class on the game I would really burn some calories.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I tried it once, but I have the grace and coordination of a newborn giraffe. So Zumba is not for me. :)

Hahah. The good instructors will tell you to try it at least three times to really give yourself a chance to get the moves :)

As to the original question the Zumba format is super flexible. It probably explains why the quality or essence of the class is so instructor dependent, but they can either teach from the quarterly(?) releases or they can make up their own stuff and it'd still be branded as Zumba. If an instructor didn't like some moves in BodyCombat they couldn't just teach whatever; it wouldn't be allowed.
  • MrsH2132012
    MrsH2132012 Posts: 67 Member
    Options

2000's - Spinning
    2010's - Zumba

THIS! lol
    I'd love to see
    2020 Lifting Heavy - because it DOES NOT make you bulky :bigsmile:
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    My friends and I tried it when they first started it at my gym a few years ago. I thought it was a lot of fun; I love dancing and the instructor was great - very energetic. I certainly wouldn't want it to be my sole form of exercise, but it was good for loosening up my hips and back. Then the good instructor left and was replaced by a lame one and the class was boring.
  • momswanson
    momswanson Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I go to Zumba at least once a week to break up my work out schedule. I am not a fan, but Zumba Nation has taken over the gym, and it is the only cardio class offered. I agree, it is very instructor specific. There is one instructor that I really like, but her class conflicts with a strength training class that I like, so I am relegated to the class on Saturday with an instructor who stands at the front with her back to the class and admires herself in the mirror the entire class, and the majority of her moves consist of shaking her behind and her chest. I stay at the back and move any way I can. I am not particularly coordinated, and absolutely hated my first class. I described my effort as looking like I was waving down a passing plane or attempting to stomp out a campfire! I have gotten a little better. I figure that I can burn between 400 - 500 calories and it gives my knees a rest from runnning!
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I love Zumba. But right now I'm focusing on strength training. I'm hoping that I will be able to get some time to go to some of the evening classes. But I will have to see.

And I agree, it is very much instructor based. So if you go, don't judge it based on that one instructor. I have been to Zumbathons where instructors totally kicked my *kitten*... but then the instructor that I would typically go to I would have to bring the intensity (but to be fair, most of her students in those classes I went to were Zumba Gold ladies).
  • jeremyw1977
    jeremyw1977 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I've tried two different Zumba classes, and I too don't get what the fuss is about.
    Both times I tried it, sure I broke out in a sweat..........that isn't too hard for me. On the other hand, I just didn't feel like I worked out..........no tiredness, no accelerated breathing or heart rate.

Aside from following the coreographed moves, I just didn't feel like much effort is required. The funny part is that they are have a "Zumba Certification" to teach that class.
  • DiamondRidge
    DiamondRidge Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I love Zumba - its fun and its a good workout. I have danced most of my life and I adore Latin music, so its kind of a natural fit for me. I was very nervous about the class before I went to my first one, because I was afraid of being the fat out of shape one in the class.... yeah, not so much. It was a blast! Just for the record, I do not use it as my only form of exercise. I'm working out with a trainer 3x a week doing strength training, cardio on my own at least another 2x per week, and then some form of something to entertain me 1x per week with a rest day to wrap it up.

I think of it this way - I'm burning a hell of a lot more calories "playing Zumba" as I put it, than is my fiance who spends that hour on the couch.
  • VpinkLotus
    VpinkLotus Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    It's really fun, the music is fun and it obliterates cals. That's why I love it ;)
  • VpinkLotus
    VpinkLotus Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    If you didn't find it a strenuous workout than you need a different instructor I think
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    the same reason Tae Bo was popular in the 90's. it's just the current exercise fad. Which I do zumba myself, and love it!
  • mwitt07
    mwitt07 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I guess it's the newest trend in exercise but in all honesty it really is a fun class. I do have to say that the class I attend it really no more than high impact aerobics with some Zumba moves thrown in. It is not at all like the DVD's that I have and use at home but it is still a lot of fun and a great work out. I burn over 600 calories during our class and that's according to my Polar HRM. So it's a fun workout with lots of other women to encourage and laugh with. It's just a good time!