Who has the time to work out?!

Options
12346»

Replies

• gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I work 45-50 hours a week and have 3 kids and a husband. I have a calendar on my refrigerator with the workout that I will be doing each day. When I'm done for the day, I check it off. I do my workout in the evening, that's what works for me. My husband occupies the kids if they are rowdy and then when I am finished I have an energy burst that I use to cook, clean, and do laundry.

If you really want to do this, you have to make it a priority. If you don't take care of yourself, no one else will.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    A. For a 25-year-old with 50 lbs to lose, 1200 calories is not enough. Your BMR has to be well above that. The reason you're going over is because that amount is not enough.

B. If you wanted to lose weight badly enough, you wouldn't need to "find time" to work out. You'd make time for it. This is not intended as an insult; I'm just trying to be honest with you. You make time for work and school because those are things you feel you MUST do, right? If you felt that way about exercise, you'd be asking a different question than "Who has the time to work out?!"
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I have a full-time job, a part-time job, a horse that I do everything for but feed and four active dogs. I don't have any human children but my dogs all need exercise every day and I have to go to the barn twice a day for my horse. Now I don't work out in the mornings because I am on medication that makes me extremely drowsy so I have to "sleep" it off but it's a necessary evil. So at first I didn't use the excuse I don't have time, my that was "when am I going to make time to work out?"

I started by doing Zumba and some other DVD's at home but the dogs always got in the way. Some other simple things I do that I don't even record is throwing 3 toys for 3 of my dogs at the same time in 3 different directions. I don't keep track of the burn but after 20 minutes we are all panting and I am really sweaty. I get up and walk around every hour at work to rest my eyes from the computer. I drink a lot of water so I visit the ladies room a lot and sometimes I walk to the one furthest away. The way my house is set up I take the longest route possible to whatever room I want to go to and will sometimes to an extra loop and chase the dogs.

I've also made some sacrifices like TV, a perfectly clean house, and a perfectly groomed yard.

I started C25K and discovered I love running. It's been two days and I'm going crazy in anticipation of my run this afternoon.

I also made myself accountable my joining a gym and hiring a personal trainer. I live on a tight budget already and I have to make it worth spending this money on myself so I pressure myself into going when I don't feel like it or when I'm tired.

But I find the more I go the more I want to go and as I see my body changing on a weekly basis and once very difficult tasks becoming easy it makes it all worth it.

As far as the eating, I was eating 1300 cal/day and was exhausted all the time. Then I figured out my TDEE and BMR and realized I was really undereating. Now that I'm eating the right amount I have at least 3x more energy so you may want to look into what your body needs compared to what you're eating.

Good luck and I hope you find your magic formula :)
  • Mashizou
    Mashizou Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem. I work and go to school full-time, so it's easy for the day to get away. In the end, you just have to make time and schedule it into your routine.

I get up at 6am to do my 30 minute circuit training (right now I'm doing Jillian's 30-Day Shred) plus 20 minutes of weight-lifting. Oatmeal only take about a minute, so I'm able to pop a bowl in the microwave, eat, and be out of the shower by 7:30am. I ride my bike to work or school, so that helps me get some extra cardio in. I usually get home by about 7pm or 8pm (depending on the day), pop in a 60-minute pilates or yoga video, and I'm done.

Eating-wise, don't worry about sticking to exactly 1,200 calories per day. If you're struggling, then it might just end up stressing you out. In the beginning, try to just focus on falling somewhere around that ball park. I usually put a lot of emphasis on portion-control and snacking throughout the day (protein shakes, apples, or carrots and hummus are awesome). You might also try planning out all of your meals a week in advance. I do this and it's helped tremendously. Any time I get the urge to gorge, I just remind myself of the plan that I prepared. For me, it really helps to pack my lunch and all of my snacks for the day in a lunch box and carry it with me wherever I go. A little tedious, but it works because I don't want to waste something I already made. One thing that's really important is to still eat the things you love. Eat that cookie or that pizza. Just work it in with your day and don't go overboard.
  • cowgirlupkelly
    Options
    I'm late to the party but I plan it into my day.

Right now that means getting out of bed at 4:40 am and getting on the treadmill for 30 minutes before I get ready and leave for work.

The other admin types at work and myself try to walk 3 days a week for lunch.

I plan 3 x a week for my bow flex.
  • VictoriaSnape
    VictoriaSnape Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    You just need to find it in yourself to get out of bed and do it. Nobody is going to do it instead of you, so make up your mind. Either you really want it or you don't. It may seem harsh, but that's the reality.
    On the other hand i am a college student, with two jobs and i still wake up 6 days a week at 4 a.m. to go running. with the additional strength training 3 times per week.
  • KAS0917
    KAS0917 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    People do what they want.

You don't work out because you don't want to. Weight loss is hard. I've lost 75 lbs and I can guarantee you that.
    No one can motivate you if you don't want to do it. The choice is yours.

100% agree. I made every excuse I could for the past several years. I quit making excuses a few months ago. Amazingly, I now exercise 4-6x a week. I don't always want to, and I don't always love it. But I've never regretted a single workout when I was done with it.
  • cseckinger1
    Options
    Treadmills are great. Wake up an hour earlier & jump on. You have to make time. We have to work our bodies everyday.
  • TheEffort
    TheEffort Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    All the tips and advice won't help if you don't make the effort. Make it a point to get up early and workout (the first hurdle is mental) soon it will become routine. I do recommend increasing your calorie intake between 1400 and 1500 (since 1200 is not doable for you)...you will still have a loss just not as quickly.

8488541.png
  • KissMeImShtFaced
    Options
    Cut off your cable :)
  • JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Cut off your cable :)

^^ THIS!

When my alarm goes off at 4:45 I get my *kitten* out of bed. That's how I find time.
  • knk1553
    knk1553 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    There are 24 hours in a day, and honestly if you WANT to workout, you will make the time to workout. I get up between 5am and 5:30 every morning (depending on the day/what time I have to be at work/what my run for the day looks like) and go do my training runs for my half marathon, I go to work for 8-10 hours, hit up the gym for my weight lifting session for about an hour and then do everything else I need to do, including prep and pack my food for the next day. I still have time for friends, my boyfriend, downtime, and me time. I will note though that most nights I only sleep 6-7 hours, and for some people this isn't enough. If you WANT it bad enough you'll make the time, you'll figure out where in your life you can make the sacrifice. During the week if I want to see my boyfriend or do something with friends the sacrifice will come from my sleep, or my sacrifice is not seeing my boyfriend everyday or cutting 1.5 hours off our hangout time so I can workout and shower.

As far as getting yourself out of bed, I set my alarm and the moment it goes off I pop out of bed and go put my contacts in, that way I can't lay back down. I then go get changed and head straight out the door for my run. If you have a friend who gets up to workout around the same time ask if you can workout together. However, learn your body, if you're not a morning person, don't workout in the mornings, workout at night. Its all honestly about how much YOU want it.

I will tell you there are mornings I don't want to get out of bed (this morning for example...I literally fought every ounce of my body to get out of bed and came up with 10 million excuses) there are days I don't want to lift, and there are days I just flat out want to go home and stuff my face full of ben and jerrys, pie, and bojangles, but I don't. There isn't a workout that I've ever done that I've thought "man I really wish I hadn't worked out today" so stop the excuses and start doing.
  • emjean76
    emjean76 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I just started the T25 workout program. It's only 25 minutes. I get up a little earlier than normal and I have so much more energy throughout the day. Good luck finding what works best for you!
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    5:30 came awfully early today, but I still got out of bed, went to the gym for an hour and went to work. You find the time.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Stop watching TV and log off the internet.

An excuse is just a reason to justify your failure when you don't put in the required effort.
  • elizamac123
    Options
    1200 calories seems really low. You should eat more than that, and exercise will definitely help as well. I tried for ages to get up in the morning and do yoga/pilates and never could. Then, I tried getting up to run and it works like a charm. Unless I really didn't sleep well the night before, I'm almost always willing to go for a run right out of bed. In addition, I go to yoga right after work. The trick for me is to not let myself "relax" or else Ill never get up again.
  • jkoenig1980
    jkoenig1980 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    A. For a 25-year-old with 50 lbs to lose, 1200 calories is not enough. Your BMR has to be well above that. The reason you're going over is because that amount is not enough.

B. If you wanted to lose weight badly enough, you wouldn't need to "find time" to work out. You'd make time for it. This is not intended as an insult; I'm just trying to be honest with you. You make time for work and school because those are things you feel you MUST do, right? If you felt that way about exercise, you'd be asking a different question than "Who has the time to work out?!"

this.