• tlab827
    tlab827 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Sure, I'll try anything once.

*famous last words*
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    I'm from Mexico and I've eaten Maguey's worms... Fried and in tacos with guacamole.

I don't like them and I'll probably not eat them again.. but I tried them.

Seriously, its like anything goes with tacos! When I was there my friend ordered "tacos de cabeza" for us, like brains, eyeballs, tongues, etc. I couldn't do it... but if I had seen worms, I would have tried it! Worms and guacamole sounds a lot better, though no way can it be as good as al pastor :)

No, lol, cabeza is just cheek meat. Mighty tasty!
  • Spiray
    Spiray Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Oh yes, I LOVE fried crickets. You get a soft, warm, corn tortilla, spread with a little guacamole and then make a taco with the seasoned crickets. Mmmm, so delicious and crunchy.
  • xombiebite
    xombiebite Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Would you or have you eaten insects?

Would you eat them if they were recognizable (ei: a fried cricket)?

Would you eat them if they were not recognizable (ei: grounded into a powder and used in a recipe)?

would you ever eat them regularily, or "just to try"?

Did you know that insects were a good source of protein? Would knowing the health benefits and low environmental impact of insect farming change your mind about eating insects?

ETA: I am strictly talking about cooked, edible species.

1. no
    2. no
    3. no
    4. no
    5. yes would i eat them no.
  • vienna_h
    vienna_h Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I'm from Mexico and I've eaten Maguey's worms... Fried and in tacos with guacamole.

Seriously, its like anything goes with tacos! When I was there my friend ordered "tacos de cabeza" for us, like brains, eyeballs, tongues, etc. I couldn't do it... but if I had seen worms, I would have tried it! Worms and guacamole sounds a lot better, though no way can it be as good as al pastor :)

I think some of them had cheek meat too, but some were just sliced brain, some were fried eyeballs, some was pieces of tongue. I know what I saw! The tongue one is the only one I tried, was like I made out with someone and then chewed off their tongue lol. This place served up the whole cabeza lol, it was in Guanajanto or Leon I think, can't remember exactly where we were at the time, maybe (hopefully) it's not that popular elsewhere :sick:
  • pcastagner
    Options

I think some of them had cheek meat too, but some were just sliced brain, some were fried eyeballs, some was pieces of tongue. I know what I saw! The tongue one is the only one I tried, was like I made out with someone and then chewed off their tongue lol. This place served up the whole cabeza lol, it was in Guanajanto or Leon I think, can't remember exactly where we were at the time, maybe (hopefully) it's not that popular elsewhere :sick:

Only the cheek was cabeza afaik. The brain is a different dish, eyeballs another, and tongue is tongue. I'm a big fan of the cheek, tongue, and ears. But I've not yet tried the brain.

I make a pretty mean bull tongue. It's a fantastic cut if you are trying to get your fat up, about 50-50 protein and fat.

Here is some tongue I did. I corned it for about 5 days before cooking in beer.

d73532f59fb65511d4e2aefea495449a_zps335a120c.jpg
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,661 Member
    Options
    Asian, so yes.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Crickets:

af4faf20a87bca0dd3b95186d44eee95_zpsddd24b21.jpg

Bees (and larvae)

4d6bac6ea1f6692c56e71dbfcaf222f5_zpsddca6f1c.jpg

Are you in Nagano? I lived in Japan for a number of years and never saw these, but I understand that they eat them in Nagano.
  • pcastagner
    Options
    Crickets:

af4faf20a87bca0dd3b95186d44eee95_zpsddd24b21.jpg

Bees (and larvae)

4d6bac6ea1f6692c56e71dbfcaf222f5_zpsddca6f1c.jpg

Are you in Nagano? I lived in Japan for a number of years and never saw these, but I understand that they eat them in Nagano.

YES! I'm in matsumoto, Nagano prefecture. The other local specialties are soba, wasabi from the surrounding hills, and horse sashimi (basashi).
  • KyliAnne26
    KyliAnne26 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    have eaten live and dried meal worm, freeze dried crickets, ants, earthworms, bees. not bad. Earthworms dried are bacon-ish. None were bad, just prefer to not recognize what they are.

Earthworms aren't insects, but close enough! I've never thought of eating them dried.... I still instinctively save worms after a rainstorm by picking them up and bringing them to grass so that they don't get caught on the sidewalk and dry up. I'm probably responsible for many baby birds starving to death :(

Also not insects: scorpions. But closely related, so we'll count them as well.

Hate to tell you this, but once you touch an earthworm with your fingers they die... Something in our skin kills them:/

You're kidding me? Whoops haha

Touching earthworms definitely does not kill them. Earthworms are red worms (red wigglers) I raise them for composting. Keep saving them!! lol
  • annieprimera
    annieprimera Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have. Fried crickets with lemon and chilli are delicious, and they're very nutritious. You just have to get past the fact that the legs will sometimes get stuck between your teeth.
  • plantboy2
    plantboy2 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I also ate Octopus in Korea....

2utd4.gif

I was gonna say, octopus isn't that weird, I've had calamari (squid) many times, its very popular, and I had octopus before too, little tentacles of suction cups and all. But then I saw your photo and realized this was the eating-animals-alive thing, and well, no. Just, no. I could never eat something that was still alive!

My hosts said they were taking me for sashimi (raw fish) which I love. Didn't realise we'd be eating them still alive (these tentacles had been cut off live octopus and keep wriggling for 30 minutes). On the table next to us they threw a few whole octopus into a boiling soup alive - mental!

Actually tasted quite nice, but did sucker you teeth/mouth/throat on the way down!
  • BonnieandClyde29
    BonnieandClyde29 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Hey I love sushi, but insects ahhh unless it was some kind of survival challenge or life or death, I wouldn't go out of my way to eat them. If someone asked and ate it, I wouldn't knock it either, just not a preference of mine lol
  • Wilhellmina
    Wilhellmina Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    Hmz maybe as a little kid a worm or something, but as adult no :sick:
  • Wilhellmina
    Options
    Ow hang on! Are snails(those escargots) insects as well?
  • MaepleT95
    MaepleT95 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    sure, with the exception of worms, I saw a movie once.......
    Oh, and they must be dead!!!! I wouldn't eat them live.
  • pcastagner
    Options

No they are mollusks, like oysters or clams
  • Wilhellmina
    Options

Ah then not conciously :)

BUT, I have been reading an article not so long ago, that even a vegan is not completely 100% meatless, because of the bugs in the salad and stuff, so I guess more of us have been eating bugs without knowing it :smile:
  • pcastagner
    Options

Ah then not conciously :)

BUT, I have been reading an article not so long ago, that even a vegan is not completely 100% meatless, because of the bugs in the salad and stuff, so I guess more of us have been eating bugs without knowing it :smile:

Weevils! They are everywhere!