Opinions on Kipping Pull-Ups?

Options
dp1228
dp1228 Posts: 439 Member
Did my first actual unassisted pull-up yesterday, but it was a kipping pull-up (I did a few actually just not in a row). I know it's big in the crossfit community and I just wanted to hear some opinions on this type of pull-up. Is it a waste of time trying to get my reps up in these pull-ups versus the traditional strict pull-ups? Am I getting any benefits from the kipping pull-ups?

I'm not gonna lie, I was SUPER psyched at the gym to do an actual pull-up even if it wasn't "proper." I'll definitely keep trying to do the strict pull-ups but I'm having fun with the kipping pull-ups right now!

Thoughts?

Replies

• jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    If you don't have body control and strength in the first place, you'll probably hurt your shoulder. If the only way you can get to the bar is kipping, it's not worth doing. That's just trying to swing/flop up.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Good for you - but I would keep trying to do "real" pull-ups...I sort of agree with this guy - it looks like a great recipe for messing up your joints and spine - but then again, I'm old enough to worry about that....
    http://www.tonygentilcore.com/blog/all-the-hype-behind-kipping-pull-ups/
  • mlnick69
    mlnick69 Posts: 84
    Options
    Here is a progressive plan to get you to be able to do non kipping pull ups.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/pullups-for-total-beginners/

Imo kipping is more of an assisted pull up, which still over time would have benefits. However good form pull ups would be much more beneficial.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    A lot of crossfit exercises are recipes for injury, including kipping pull-ups. Keep doing assisted pulls with control until you build enough strength to make the transition. You can also do lat pull downs
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I consider kipping to be cheating- unless you are doing an obstacle course or whatever.

Otherwise fight for a traditional pull up- worry less about dead hang and more about getting deep to the bar.

lat pull downs
    inverted rows
    regular rows
    DB Rows
    Barbell Rows
    assisted pull ups via machine band or chair

all good.
  • dp1228
    dp1228 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    def don't want to injure myself which I do keep hearing about with crossfit exercises. im gonna keep working on traditional pull-ups. I'm able to handle heavier weights and im working on my upper back and arms for strength but i just can't seem to do it yet! so far sounds like kipping pull-ups really don't have any benefits for building strength etc.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    as a former gymnast... kipping is totally cheating.
  • phjorg1
    phjorg1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    They are two totally different exercises. Stop looking at them like they are related.. Stop calling kipping cheating. It shows you have no clue about exercise if you think this. Is doing pushups cheating at bench press???

If you can only do 1, then you are not ready to do them.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options

video was amazing..
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    I consider kipping to be cheating- unless you are doing an obstacle course or whatever.

Otherwise fight for a traditional pull up- worry less about dead hang and more about getting deep to the bar.

lat pull downs
    inverted rows
    regular rows
    DB Rows
    Barbell Rows
    assisted pull ups via machine band or chair

all good.

Good list. I would add pull up "negatives" to it.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Aghghhghggh!!!!!!

Okay. I'm better now. :wink:
  • shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Did my first actual unassisted pull-up yesterday, but it was a kipping pull-up (I did a few actually just not in a row). I know it's big in the crossfit community and I just wanted to hear some opinions on this type of pull-up. Is it a waste of time trying to get my reps up in these pull-ups versus the traditional strict pull-ups? Am I getting any benefits from the kipping pull-ups?

I'm not gonna lie, I was SUPER psyched at the gym to do an actual pull-up even if it wasn't "proper." I'll definitely keep trying to do the strict pull-ups but I'm having fun with the kipping pull-ups right now!

Thoughts?

If it keeps you motivated to keep working on pull ups in general then keep at it. I know pull ups for females can be especially daunting so whether you're going down in the amount of assistance you need or you're able to kip, it's all steps towards being able to do strict pull ups. IMO, do strict or dead hang until you can't then kip or use bands.
  • shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    as a former gymnast... kipping is totally cheating.

Cheating at strict pull ups, yes.

But kipping is a legitimate movement, people act like it was invented solely for CrossFit.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Even in crossfit, which reifies the kipping pull-up, you are not supposed to do them until you have mastered a certain rep range for strict pull-ups. Here, have a read:

http://physicalliving.com/the-kipping-pullups-vs-deadhang-pullups-debate-put-to-sleep-part-1/
    http://physicalliving.com/the-kipping-pullups-vs-deadhang-pullups-debate-put-to-sleep-part-2/
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    I don't think a kipping pull-up is cheating, I just don't think a kipping pull-up is a pull-up at all. Nothing wrong with it. Just not the same thing.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    They are two totally different exercises. Stop looking at them like they are related.. Stop calling kipping cheating. It shows you have no clue about exercise if you think this. Is doing pushups cheating at bench press???

If you can only do 1, then you are not ready to do them.

no.. it is.. if you are intending to do back work by way of pull ups- then kipping is cheating.

And... how do you get better at them if the solution is "you can only do one so don't do them"

really? and you say we know nothing about exercise?

that's rubbish.

Guess I should give up on all sorts of other things- I can only pull 250 DL- so I guess I shouldn't' do that any more either.

I don't think a kipping pull-up is cheating, I just don't think a kipping pull-up is a pull-up at all. Nothing wrong with it. Just not the same thing.
    I'd be inclined to agree with this.
  • nicola1141
    nicola1141 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    God, you know you're a mom (and totally not fit enough) when you read this title and think "hmmmm, I've never heard of that brand of pull-up (diaper)".
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options

True, and you have to be able to do a kipping pull-up if you want to do something like a muscle-up on a bar.
  • Ichigo2012
    Ichigo2012 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    So I guess a barbell push press is just a cheating form of strict press? No? They're legit movements recruiting different muscles in different ways? I see...