Weird Sports Bra ?'s

Options
Ladies, I have some questions about sports bras...

~ How many do you own?
~ When/how often do you wash them?

I don't know if I am "normal" or not. I only have 3 sports bras that fit me right now: two of them are cheaper and hold sweat against my body (gifts so I hadn't tried on, I think Champion brand), and the other is an Underarmour that I LOVE and tend to use more. One is always misplaced so that I'm really only able to use two, although I tend to favor the underarmour one. I try to alternate them, and have lately taken to rinsing them out and hanging up to dry after a workout.

That being said, I don't want to have to constantly do tiny laundry loads (don't have my own washer and dryer), nor do I want to buy 10 more sports bras. What do YOU do for yours?

Replies

• tjsoccermom
    tjsoccermom Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I only own a few and don't want to buy anymore until I lose more weight. I wash them with my work out clothes and hang all of them up as I like drifit shirts and to keep their drifit properties they can't be dried with dryer sheets and last longer if not dried anyway. If I was only washing bras, I would just wash them out in the sink.
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I own lots, and wash them every time I wear them. But I don't need the expensive ones, so I can just buy a 3-pack of the Champion ones at Costco. (Totally envious of your UA bra. I'm still trying to pick up a couple more shirts, but waiting for sales is a pain in the butt.)

When I only had two, I still washed every time, but my family produces a lot of laundry. If I were on my own, I'd totally go with the rinse-and-dry between wearings, maybe with a little vinegar to keep the stink away.
  • hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I have no idea how many I own, I actually just bought a few more (to replace some older ones that are no longer as supportive). I probably have enough to last through a week (I do 6x a week). I don't know where you (or how much support you need) but I have found some good ones at TJ Maxx and Marshalls (they buy surplus of items from different brands and sell at a huge discount. sidenote: great for shoes!). I think they are related to Ross as well (I'm in the US). I never pay more than about $20/bra, I just don't want to do lots of laundry like you said.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I own a whole basket full of them. When the elastic gets too stretchy- I stop using them.

I have several but there are 3 I reach for CONSTANTLY- I'll slowly fade out my regular ones for that particular type-the are deep v cut down the front- fronsie clasp ones. Super sexy AND supportive for me (I"m a 36C/34D type)... Wal-Mart for like 12 bucks.

Deep cut down the front means I dont' get sweaty nasty stuff on my skin.
    win win.

edit- I NEVER dry mine in the dryer- wash and hang dry. Actually that goes for all my super spandexy clothes. bra's and underthings... or my workout capri's.
  • Witchdoctor58
    Witchdoctor58 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I hand wash immediately after every workout. I use Jockeys which take a full day to dry, and I treated myself to 5 (they were on sale plus I had a coupon), but I so far am just rotating through the two; I may keep the others aside for when these wear out.

Sweat degrades some materials, so it's a good idea to wash or at least rinse ASAP.
  • teagirlmedium
    teagirlmedium Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I have four that fit me, I wash them after I wear them when I have enough clothes for another load. So I wash my sports bras at least twice a week. I do not wear my sports bras again until I have washed them. I want at least seven sports bras.
  • _Tink_
    _Tink_ Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I own a bunch...maybe around 8? I wash them (and my workout clothes) every time I wear them because I sweat like an animal. They're usually soaked by the time I take them off so not washing them isn't an option.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I sweat like a *kitten* in church, there is no way I'd wear mine more than once. I have 10 - 15 sports bras, I sometimes wear up to 2 a day, depending on my workout schedule. If I exercise in the morning and again later in the day I wear 2 completely different outfits head to toe, I don't like to put wet clothes on my body.
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I have at least a dozen or more. I wash them every time I wear them. And I throw all my workout clothes in the washer and dryer.
  • Lass70
    Lass70 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I don't know how many I have, but it isn't nearly enough. I may have 5, but on at least 2 of them, I have no clue what I was thinking when I bought them. I must've thought they were cute, but they suck. I do spend a bit more to get good supportive ones now. Can't stand to feel bouncy when I workout. And I wash them after every wear. They're always drenched and it grosses me out.
  • kmbweber2014
    kmbweber2014 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I wear two at a time and have probably a dozen or so and I was them every time I wear them.
  • alikonda
    alikonda Posts: 2,358 Member
    Options
    I own 8 and work out 6 times/week...although some of them are literally wearing through so I'll have to go shopping soon. We do laundry once a week - 1 load specifically for workout clothes, 1 or 2 loads everything else. I also don't send my running clothes (including sports bras) through the dryer which seems to help with longevity. (I can't wear cotton bras - no support and I sweat WAAAAAY too much to put up with that absorbency on my skin!)

I tend to buy mine on runningwarehouse.com from the sale section (I have gotten some EXCELLENT sports bras for $16 that way!) and returns have free shipping if it won't work out for you. The only problem with buying from the sale section is that you can rarely reorder if you really like a style...
  • cwsikes
    cwsikes Posts: 86
    Options
    I have 6 or 7 right now that are all the same style. I love this style and can only find them at TJ Maxx so every time I see one I just buy it because I know eventually they will stop having them. I also work out everyday and have some seriously stinky sweat so having lots is a plus.
  • angiebrunswick
    Options
    I have 8 of them and under armour is my favorite because of my cup size; they support better and don't leave a rash. I always wash and hang them after every use. I don't sweat a lot naturally but they still get damp, yuck. They last a long time as long as I don't put them in the dryer.
  • JusticeGirl25
    JusticeGirl25 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I own 4. I don't wash them after every use. I wear 'em again twice then I wash them.
  • TheRunningGuppy
    TheRunningGuppy Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I've got a lot. Like, 20, I think. But I double up because I'm really busty and too cheap to spend money on good bras. And since I'm losing weight, I'm not going to be using them a long time. I've already shrunk a band size or more.
  • arl1286
    arl1286 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I usually just wear them until they smell. I only wear them when I'm working out, so I don't really care if they aren't super fresh.
  • suppakana
    suppakana Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Wearing a 30GG bra size, mine are almost impossible to find, and stupidly expensive. Right now, I only have one. Panache underwire sports bra (costs about $50, which is below average price for bras in that size)... I'm a bad person and only wash it once a week - and I work out six times a week. Oops.

However, I'm losing weight at a rate where I'll be replacing it in two months anyways. When I finally get down to my goal weight I'll probably keep three or four of them and rotate them out.

You're SUPPOSED to hand-wash them :
    • Put your sports bras AND regular bras in a tub of warm water mixed with a gentle laundry detergent
    • Ignore for 10-15 minutes
    • If your bras get especially dirty, rub them gently where they're the most "spoiled"
    • If they're really bad, get a soft-bristle toothbrush and gently scrub them where they're dirty.
    • Remove water from the tub.
    • If bras are padded, gently push against them to force out excess water
    • Place bras on a towel, roll up to push out more excess water
    • Hang dry

You should be using a lingerie detergent - which is gentle enough that it really doesn't need to be rinsed out. :>

However! I'm lame. I just toss my sports bras (and all other bras... They don't fit anyways) into the washing machine on the handwash cycle, with regular detergent, then hang dry them. Ta-dah!
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    I have enough that I had to empty out a dresser drawer just for sports bras. What can I say? I love them. I also have sports bra tops that I've fallen in love with this year. <3

I never, ever wash them in the washer! All bras should be hand washed. I just keep a little basin in my bathroom and fill it with cold water and a little shampoo, or hand soap ... anything gentle. I'll soak the bra(s) whilst in the shower. Rinse, and hang dry. In the nice weather, I almost always have a sports bra and running shorts on the line. In rainy weather, they're hanging on a rack in a lesser used bathroom.
  • cherikasalzmann
    Options
    I have 2 that I wear - both Bali and I love them. I work out 5 days a week and I rinse off every night. I rinse my sports bras off in the shower with me....I usually have enough workout clothes to make it through the week and I wash them on light cycle and hang them up to dry on Sundays...
    It I have a light work out and don't sweat I will wear my bra 2X but that doesn't happen very often! :)