What does hungry feel like?

Options
It's that simple really. I'm trying to pay more attention to my body's signals and I was just curious about how other people would describe the feeling of hunger. Thanks

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Gnawing, gurgling, crampy feeling in your stomach, the organ not the general abdominal area. It is an actual physical feeling not a mental "OOHH, cheesecake!" feeling. It doesn't go away with distraction or water. Keeps getting stronger, can actually almost be a sick feeling when it gets strong. My stomach will announce hunger with a series of loud noises if I ignore it.

One way to feel true hunger is to fast for 8 hours or so with nothing but water. Anyone who can't distinguish true hunger should give that a try.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    For me it is painful and irritating. I feel like I am too weak to even move if I let myself get seriously hungry. I rarely let that happen though. I eat big and enjoy my snacks.
  • Ainar
    Ainar Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    You wanna... ya know... ate!

You can't really explain that just like you can't explain how colors looks to blind man. Well, I will try. So, when I'm hungry I think about the food and I wanna ate it. Mouth full of saliva when I think about it. Tummy feels empty, sometimes it even makes sounds like begging for food. It's kinda like something missing and I just wanan fill it up inside there in my belly. :(
  • babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Empty pit in my stomach. I get cranky too hah
  • Daisychain65
    Daisychain65 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Interesting, thanks. Anyone else?
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    It's that simple really. I'm trying to pay more attention to my body's signals and I was just curious about how other people would describe the feeling of hunger. Thanks

I think different people get different signals. Some get headaches, some get stomach growling, some get cranky etc.

However, if you are trying to have a meaningful, long lasting and healthy relationship with food, don't focus on the hunger signals. Don't try to get yourself hungry. Just eating the calories and log the food here. Workout and eat at least half of the calories you burn. Have a good relationship with all kinds of foods. Yes, even the junk food like cheetos and ice cream. Enjoy them. You can't live without them all your life.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Tired, weak, headaches, and pain in upper abdominal area.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Gnawing feeling, borborygmos (stomach rumbling and gurgling).
  • NarneyK
    NarneyK Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    For me it starts off as a pain in my stomach, but if I go too long between meals, I tend to get burpy. That's when I know I need to eat something right away. If I still don't eat at this point, I later become cranky and dizzy. At that point, after I eat, I tend to get sleepy.
  • chelseascounter
    chelseascounter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    My stomach feels like it's shrinking into a tiny ball. I hate the feeling. If water doesn't make it go away, then I know it's food.
  • FerretBuellerr
    FerretBuellerr Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I can feel myself getting more tired, unfocused, and sometime extremely irritable before the tell-tale stomach gurgling and aching starts to happen. I find it hard for myself because I can get those feelings every 2 hours sometimes :noway: It must be the quality of food I'm eating I'm guessing - and water normally deals with that pretty well until I feel like I'm going to pass out from hunger
  • mom4ever1956
    mom4ever1956 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi from Buffalo, NY
    Not saying this for everyone's situation, but you never want it get to the point of feeling weak.. I am diabetic and find that eating something every three hours will keep you balanced, I went one day without eating lunch and by body was telling me to eat. My advice, eat your three meals a day and have at least a snack of 15 grams of carbs in between meals. Let me say, I am not a professional, but I learn from the professionals. Just my insight.
  • cb83580
    cb83580 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure I've never felt hunger in my entire life. For me, it's a mental/boredom thing.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    Hunger for me is a physical sensation that's actually kind of nice like most bodily functions. It's not painful or debilitating and comes and goes in waves. The longer you wait before eating the stronger the urge to eat becomes.

I used to have all of the symptoms that have been described above by other people but since I've begun eating a low carb diet my hunger has returned to normal -- like it was when I was a kid and my mom had to make me come in and eat because I would rather play than eat. You don't get tired, weak, sick or irritable and you don't have that urge to eat anything, no matter what, just to get some food into you. If anything I get more energetic when I'm hungry.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    It looks like I killed your thread -- sorry, OP!
  • stines72
    stines72 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    I read something recently that says PHYSICAL hunger can wait
    Physical hunger - anything sounds good, even healthy stuff
    Physical hunger - comes on slowly

Emotional hunger - comes on suddenly, focusing on a certain type of food (ie, sugary, fatty, etc)
    Emotional hunger - feels like you need to eat NOW to be satisfied
  • Achaila
    Achaila Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I get a pain in my stomach. I can't really describe it as anything but a hunger pain.
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    I get shakes, a specific sort of headache right in the middle of the forehead, stomach is growling and churning, and food is literally ALL I can focus on. When I get into that state, I gotta eat food RIGHT THEN. If I don't, I get seriously cranky. All the symptoms stop maybe five minutes after I eat.
  • Seesawboomerang
    Seesawboomerang Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    For me, ridiculously close to thirsty. So, I usually make sure I drink water first and then rethink.

That feeling of having a hole in your belly is a sensation I get with thirst, hunger, boredom, and stress, so I can't go by that alone.
  • caly_man
    caly_man Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    tomorrow when you wake up, skip breakfast, have your your morning coffee or tea, wait until your normal lunch time, by them, you should have a good idea what hunger feels like.