Wii fit weight

Options
Does anyone know if the wii fit is an accurate reading of your weight???

Replies

• themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,012 Member
    Options
    It is pretty close, I have one and it is about 2 lbs heavier then my scale. By the way I love the wii fit plus it is a fun way to get in some exercise
  • angiereid
    Options
    it really depends on a couple things, is it on carpet or hard floor, my bathroom scale is 2 lbs heavier than the wi and i have the wii on carpet, but bottom line pick a scale and stick with it because no matter what you use they will all be different, if you have been using the wii keep using it if you drop 10 pounds you know you lost? the scale is just a number i really don't reccommend relying on it it will drive you nuts. some people lose inches first and body fat and the scale will go up in numbers even though you lost fat and inches muscle weighs more than fat. here's a good thing to read
    Many people who are trying to lose weight become needlessly obsessed with daily weight fluctuations. Here's why they occur and why you shouldn't be concerned.
    Difficulty: Moderately Easy
    Instructions
    You've been following your healthy eating plan to the letter and exercising religiously. To your surprise, you step on the scale and are shocked to find you've gained three pounds since yesterday. What's going on? Weight fluctuations are one of the most frustrating aspects of dieting. Just when you're prepared to see the number on the scale drop, it not only doesn't, but surprises you by adding a few pounds. During these times, it can be reassuring to know that daily weight fluctuations are normal
    What causes daily weight fluctuations? Weight fluctuations can be caused by a variety of factors ranging from water retention related to excess salt intake, hormonal changes, constipation, or eating a large meal. Keep in mind that it requires intake of 3,500 calories to gain a pound of body fat and it's unlikely you'll consume that amount in a single day. This is why many dieticians advice patients not to weigh too frequently because the daily weight fluctuations can be discouraging if you take them too seriously
    Body weight can vary by as much as five pounds from day to day based on fluid and salt intake and the amount of food still being processed by the digestive system. If you happened to go to a buffet the night before, your weight will probably be up the next morning, particularly if you ate foods high in sodium and haven't had a recent bowel movement. Even if you overindulged a bit, it's unlikely you'll experience a significant increase in true body weight overnight. Real weight gain is a more gradual process.
    The best way to avoid the stress of daily weight fluctuations is to weigh yourself on a weekly basis. Weigh without clothes or shoes to eliminate the clothing weight which can add up to two pounds. Weigh first thing in the morning after emptying your bladder and bowels to avoid a falsely elevated weight due to food and liquid intake. If you find a weekly weight is elevated, drink lots of water, reduce your salt intake, and reweigh yourself for the next two mornings. If the following two readings are elevated, reassess your eating and exercise habits to make sure you're not taking in too many calories
    Be aware of how your clothes are fitting. This can be a more reliable indicator of true weight gain. If you have a scale that measures body fat percentage, look for fluctuations in this value rather than looking at your overall weight, especially if you're doing resistance exercise which can increase lean body mass. Most of all don't let yourself be alarmed by daily weight fluctuations. They're a normal part of living.
  • kristilovescake
    kristilovescake Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    From personal experience I've found it's very consistent (I don't jump around in weight unless I'm actually losing/gaining) and from Googling I found other people to say it's pretty accurate.

When I used to own a real scale, I was pretty close to the same weight on both, less than 1lb apart most of the time, but that might have been from me estimating the weight of my clothes wrong since I don't weigh on the Wii in my birthday suit (the neighbors don't want to see that!).

I use the Wii to weigh myself since it tracks it and I can see if I'm up or down.. I don't know how close it is to a really good scale though, but for me it's more important that I'm gaining or losing than if I'm actually the exact weight it says I am.
  • lpkitty
    Options
    My Wii and my regular scale pretty much always agree with each other. I'm going to stick with the Wii because that's what I started weighing myself with and I also find that voice telling me "That's obese" to be highly motivating. I cannot wait until the day she doesn't say it anymore. :)
  • jgoldsmith
    Options
    it was pretty accurate with me. within 2-5 lbs anyways. i mean its the same as a regular scale compared to the doctors scale. my scale at home says i weigh less than the scale at the doctors hahaha. so as long as you use the same thing consistently you should be ok for results.