Good Exercise to slowly build muscle

Options
I have no muscle in my arms and want to build some (slowly so I don't hurt myself) . I don't want to do it at the gym.

just trying to get healthier.

Replies

• SrJoben
    SrJoben Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    You can make good progress at home with calisthenics and exercises that use your body weight.

If you can add some minimal equipment like a set of dumbbells your options increase.

I can't really write a program for you, I'm not qualified and I don't know your current ability.

You shouldn't neglect the rest of your body, but if you want stronger arms you will be particularly interested in things that work your triceps, biceps and shoulders. Triceps push, biceps pull. So with no free weights you're looking at probably push-up and pull-up variations. Even if you can't do a single one of either of those yet no worries. Easier variations exist.

You may find a site like this helpful. It lays out progressively harder versions of things to switch to as you get stronger. http://www.fitness666.com/p/exercise-progressions.html
  • dwithbenefithfc
    Options
    What do you mean slowly?
  • dwithbenefithfc
    Options
    I guess i should say that you may offend people who spend their lives TRYING to build muscle.

SLOW is the only way. I promise doing your first set of curls will not make you explode.
  • iwanttogotodere
    Options
    What do you mean slowly?
    I mean so I don't hurt myself or anything because I have no muscle mass at all.
  • dwithbenefithfc
    Options
    well i would approach it first by looking at your body as a whole, not part by part.

Strength training is important for every part of your body. You will be able to tell if you are over exerting yourself. Listen to your body and make smart decisions to protect your joints. I suggest contacting a professional in your area who is willing to put a program together for you, more-so who can teach you form, tempo and what to do for highest efficiency.
  • lenkearney
    lenkearney Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Buy a set of elastic exercise bands - they come in different strengths- so you can start light and work your way up. these are cheap, easily portable, and because you can vary the effort easily you can begin to challenge most muscles.

google "band exercises" for more variations than you can shake a band at - great way to get started at low cost.
  • suzibanshee
    suzibanshee Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Wall pushups at first....whenever you have a free moment, do as many as you can. Do that throughout the day. Then when you feel comfortable, do "lady" pushups or regular pushups throughout the day. No excuses!