Front squats

Options
Fozzi43
Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
I do my normal barbell squats and my load is going up nicely ( although I wish I could say the same about my OHP.:huh: ) but looking to maybe incorporate front squats into my routine of squats, deadlifts, overhead press and bench press...

What are your thoughts please? Are they beneficial? Will I get much more out of my routine doing them?

Replies

• FoxyMcDeadlift
    FoxyMcDeadlift Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I do front squats on deadlift day. If you're doing a full body style workout with the lifts described below, i probably wouldnt add fronts in as well. They'll just take away from your core lifts. They emphasize Quads and Abs
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Thank you foxy :flowerforyou:
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Why does foxy hate quads and abs?
  • cindyhoney2
    cindyhoney2 Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    OK this made me curious since I've never heard of front squats, I had to look it up. Found this video, thought I would share
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQc1hXIQT_o
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    IMO most people would benefit a lot more from front squats than conventional back squats. They allow you to hit the glutes and quads just as hard while working with a MUCH lower weight (safer) and are better about engaging the posterior chain and the core, as well as improving balance and range of motion. The ONLY thing conventional barbell back squats do better than front squats are engaging the hamstrings, and you can get that by supplementing your front squats with straight-legged or Romanian deadlifts. They also don't place NEARLY as much stress on the lower back.
  • timbrom
    timbrom Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    IMO most people would benefit a lot more from front squats than conventional back squats. They allow you to hit the glutes and quads just as hard while working with a MUCH lower weight (safer) and are better about engaging the posterior chain and the core, as well as improving balance and range of motion. The ONLY thing conventional barbell back squats do better than front squats are engaging the hamstrings, and you can get that by supplementing your front squats with straight-legged or Romanian deadlifts. They also don't place NEARLY as much stress on the lower back.

We're probably not talking about the low-bar barbell squat as taught in Starting Strength, are we? Done properly, a low-bar barbell squat definitely engages the posterior chain much more than the front squat since it does hit the hamstrings more, and also the hip extensor muscles since you have to keep your back upright with a front squat. A properly performed squat also doesn't put much stress on the lower back, and engages the core every bit as much as a front squat.

Now, if you're talking the normal bro quarter squat, then yeah, the front squat is better than that. But that doesn't deserve to be called a squat.
  • GuybrushThreepw00d
    GuybrushThreepw00d Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    what about an overhead squat?
    i find that whilst i can't squat as much, it takes a lot more balance which is good for me core
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Timely post! I actually played with these at the gym this morning. Found that I felt as if my core was more engaged due to having to maintain my balance. I do believe I am going to add this to the permanent rotation (plus I hate regular squats).

ETA Overhead squats too, but I had to start with a broom because my balance needs improvement. Almost fell down trying that one :laugh:
  • phatguerilla
    phatguerilla Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I do my front squats as back off sets after my back squats, simple way to fit it in. Whether you include them or not OP depends on what you want to achieve by using them? Front squats might possibly engage your quads more as people has suggested, but less weight means less stress on the quads overall. A top set of ten with a heavy back squat activates your quads plenty and anyone who claims otherwise needs to rethink their form or increase the weight used...

Also regardless of all the muscles people have listed as engaging more, it is the upper back that will fail first in a front squat. Therefore it is (a) a useful means of training the upper back isometrically, and (b) a poor leg developer if your upper back fails long before your quads are adequately stimulated.
  • HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    How you program them is going to vary with what you want to achieve.

A powerlifter is probably not going to bother with them much at all.
    A weightlifter is probably going to do them a lot more, as catching a clean and then not being able to stand up is pretty useless.
    A bodybuilder might add them in and out of their program, depending on which body parts need developing.

just my opinion, but an average trainer who does full body workouts multiple times a week would do good by adding them into their routine, so that they maybe back squat 3/4x a week and front squat 1/2x. the difference muscle targeting has been discussed, but I believe they will also help in other areas, such as mobility.

Overhead squats are pretty cool, and do require decent mobility and core strength, but I think they are less useful for the average person, as they can gain these things through other exercises. The OHS is good as a tool to identify these weaknesses though, and is also worth doing if you plan on adding snatches into your workout in the future.

Worth taking a look at this thread that was posted recently too - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1068348-lifters-need-info-on-front-squats
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    ^^what a reasonable, well rounded, completely thought out answer.

You must be lost. This isn't what we do here in the MFP forums