Does fruit really count?!

Options
I'm kind of a mfp newbie. I've been logging fairly accurately. However I work shift work, so when I work a 12 hour shift I eat a lot of snacks. Usually all being fruit, strawberries/blueberries, grapes, peach and a plum. However those alone are over 500 calories or very close to. I'm finding I'm using a ton of my calories in just these snacks at work. My question is how much does fruit count in the grand scheme of things, should I overlook the fact that they are so many calories?

Replies

• rosiemay3
    Options
    I'm not a nutritionist, but I would say that they do count. They may be healthy, but they are still calories and your body will still treat them as calories. However, fruit is low in fat and contains lots of wonderful nutrients so don't stop eating it :)
  • BonnieandClyde29
    BonnieandClyde29 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Calories are calories is the way I see, every once in a while if I go a little over i don't feel as bad (not by a whole lot) because I ate mostly fruit, but you should be counting everything that goes in your mouth! I work overnights, and my sleep is messed up so I usually only sleep 4 hours every other day, and still count everything.
  • MaepleT95
    MaepleT95 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Calories in calories out, honestly I think you should count everything because if you don't count the fruit then then that in a way allows you to eat more regular (sometimes fattier) foods. I'm not an expert just my opinion.
    p.s. Sorry if I'm confusing:(
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Yes just overlook them. Fruit has healthy sugars so it equals 0 calories.

.....No, count them.
  • pinktoesjb
    pinktoesjb Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    If you are counting calories then definitely count it, especially as most calories from fruit will be from sugar. Weightloss methods like slimming world and ww don't tend to 'count' fresh fruit so if you struggle with it you may do better on one of those regimes.

Also check the weight of the portions you have, I've been logging a standard 1 orange on here then when I weighed one at home realised it was just over half the weight of the one on this database, same with nectarines so I was logging too much.
  • judilockwood
    judilockwood Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Yes I count them. 500 calories are a lot to disregard.... if you eat it - log it x
  • FittyFitFitFit
    Options
    I think others have already answered your question - fruit does count but it's also good for you and better than eating other, less nutrient dense, sugary snacks.

I work 12 hour shifts too so I know what you mean. It's tough making good food choices when you're tired and are craving sugar so I too tend to eat lots of fruit.

I'm not sure what work you do but if you're on your feet for most of the shift then you'll be using quite a bit of energy anyway so can probably afford to have a few extra bits of fruit.
  • crose0056
    crose0056 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I weigh and count all fruits and try to keep servings to 2-3 a day. I weigh my salad ingredients also, they add up fast. I usually do not calculate a slice of tomato, lettuce or onions if eaten on a sandwich.
  • Beccalyn60
    Beccalyn60 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have recently started MFP also, I have also been a member of WW like a person said in a previous statement they don't count fruit on the daily counter, but when I do this I tend to gain weight because you over eat the fruits and as you said the calories do add up. So I agree that they should be counted and I would try to measure how much of each you are eating. If you are eating while working and have a chance when you feel like reaching for a snack I would try to (if possible) get up and take a quick walk around the area you are working in, that may take your mind off of having a snack for a little bit. Just my thoughts it worked for me when I did shift work. Good Luck
  • bigonroad
    bigonroad Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Yup, fruit counts. Salad is less of a problem since most salad stuff: lettuce, celery, etc is pretty low in calories. Obviously if you are adding meat, or dressing then that's different.

Calories matter, doesn't matter what they are. Eat less than you use, you lose weight.
  • sarashmor
    sarashmor Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I've been logging the fruit like everything else just found it really added to my calories. It's definitely better calories then other snacks I could have so I'll stick to the fruit :)
  • WannabeStressFree
    WannabeStressFree Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I love fruit, but due to its' sugar content, I log it. it adds up, esp the tropical fruits (which are sooo delicious I just love them!)
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I would cut some fruits if you are eating as much as it seems like. I would replace them with high-protein snacks (beef jerky, anyone?)
  • honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    If you are chewing it and swallowing it you should count it :P
  • megan1869
    megan1869 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    At least fruit contains some calories that are "quality calories" not just crap... for lack of a better word!
  • silverburk
    Options
    Definitely log those fruits. Even when I was on WW, which when I was on it, you had to count fruit in your points. I mainly wanted to chime in on this post to say kudos to you on choosing fruit as your snack instead of the easier snacks to like little debbie's or something else like that that is worse for you. Always a good feeling when you choose healthy over junk. :)
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    the 500 calories is a lie propagated by the meat industry
  • redladywitch
    redladywitch Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Everything counts. Log everything you eat or drink. Nothing is free.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    If you've got a 500 calorie deficit built into your plan to lose weight and you eat 500 calories of fruit and don't count it then you're effectively just eating at maintenance and aren't going to lose weight.