Running

Options
2»

Replies

• vet272
    vet272 Posts: 183
    Options
    I don't stretch before, only after. Curious what others do... I know a few runners and each has their own idea about stretching.
    I don't stretch beforehand either. I walk for 5-10 minutes before I run, same afterwards, then stretch as part of my cooldown.

This ^^^^
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    one foot in front of the other, and keep at it.

running shoes are important, but do not get suckered into spending over $100 on a pair. it is not necessary at all. be careful with these specialty running stores too, they'll try to rape you of your money for a pair of sneaks.
    Aw... not always. Mine were great, talked to me for over an hour giving me lots of general running advice and then talked me into spending a lot less than I was going to.
  • qweenovme
    qweenovme Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Awesome advice!
  • autumnmctaggart
    autumnmctaggart Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    When I ran around the parking lot it was not so they could evaluate my stride- it was to see how I felt running in the shoes. I ran in about 5 different pairs and there was a marked difference between them all :)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I just googled this store and I would be 99% that they don't. You would need to go to a running specific store. I just profile stalked you slightly to see where you are and it seems like it might be a little bit of a trip for you to get to an actual running store. You could use something like an online helper like the one from Road Runner Sports (http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/product/shoe-dog.jsp?cm_mmc=vanity-_-shoedog-_-na-_-na) to get you pretty close to some shoes that will work for you.RunningWarehouse.com has great prices and coupons and does free shipping both ways if there is no local store to purchase from.

As for stretching, I never stretch before or after. Before I run, I walk for a little bit in order to warm up and then take the first mile 30-45 seconds slowed than my normal pace. Same thing after my run, I just walk for a little bit to let my muscles cool down. If something starts feeling particularly tight I'll stretch it out but that's pretty rare.

A little OT but I used the on-line shoe finder and the first shoes on the list were the ones I've been using for the past 6 years.....
  • SwindonJogger
    SwindonJogger Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    http://www.djsteveboy.com/podrunner.html

They have free mp3 interval and steady beat workouts based on tempo music which i found very useful.
  • danglewtf
    Options
    http://www.djsteveboy.com/podrunner.html

They have free mp3 interval and steady beat workouts based on tempo music which i found very useful.
    AWESOME! Thank you - I've been struggling to make my own playlists that keep going at the pace I want.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Welcome to running! You'll like it here. Here are by beginner's running tips, some of these might help. :flowerforyou:
    https://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/BerryH/view/20-things-i-wish-i-d-known-about-running-when-i-started-103936
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    I don't stretch before, only after. Curious what others do... I know a few runners and each has their own idea about stretching.

I stretch AFTER, too..or occasionally during if it's a 'long run' and I need to.
  • megan1869
    megan1869 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    BEWARE: RUNNING IS ADDICTIVE :).... probably the best advice I have

Also... sign up NOW for your first 5K... if you have a date circled on the calendar and set aside with a small monetary investment you are much more likely to meet your goal! Also helps to announce said goal to friends, family, MFP, Facebook w/e you use...
  • megan1869
    megan1869 Posts: 166 Member
    Options

I stretch AFTER, too..or occasionally during if it's a 'long run' and I need to.

Personally I am NOT a big stretcher ...I've not experienced many benefits from it after years of it being forced in cross country practice... most of the time if i do stretch its after a run
  • themelmac
    themelmac Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I found that these were good stretches when I got started.

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_1/126.shtml
  • mike_usmc
    mike_usmc Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I didnt scroll through and read every single post, but running shoes, and comfortable clothes to run in. I personally dont like clothes sticking to me when I'm running. I prefer New Balance, and Under Armour as the shoes of choice. New Balance last forever by the way(lol) Other than that, I can honestly say you will not have a greater feeling, then the one your going to have after completing that run before thanksgiving.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I really think the stretching thing depends on your age. I never needed to stretch when I was in my 20s and 30s. Now I HAVE to stretch before and after I run, otherwise I will hobble around for 24 hours after I have run.

I don't do a huge amount of stretching before, but I do have to stretch my hamstrings. Then I walk for 3 minutes for a warm up. Afterwards I walk for 3-10 minutes and then stretch my hamstrings, hips, calves and quadriceps.

I agree with everyone else here, good shoes are a must!
  • TStevens78405
    Options
    My advice would be to listen to your body. If you're not a regular runner, you may find that certain parts of you really hurt after (or even during) a run. This can often be attributed to poor technique or just your body not being used to it, but the important thing is to take notice. If you try and 'push through' the pain, particularly with knee or ankle joint pains, it'll only get worse and the next run will hurt even more. So be patient, start off with small runs and build them up as you go, your body will thank you for it.
    I myself go from being very fit during term time at University, to being quite unfit during the summer holidays when i'm home. And when i get back to Uni after the summer break i always think that i'll just be able to get straight back to running 15km and it ends up hurting my knees very badly and i have to leave it for another week or two before i can go again.Thankfully ive learned now and stopped doing this and can remember that i have to build it back up, so make sure you do too! :)