what do you do?

Options
do you what you want but cut calories or do you eat a specific healthy eating regime?

I know I cant do 1200 cals (busy job) so I have mines set at 1650 plus eating back exercise calories.

but its my macros I am not sure about - I want to lose 70lbs - should I change my macros and subsequently my eating habits to reflect this to make the weight loss process easier?

I see a lot of people are low carb, some low fat - im not sure what I should be doing

Replies

• PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    You can eat whatever you want and lose weight. Low carb/fat/sugar is not necessary.

As far as macros go, I'm not sure. Everyone is different. I don't watch my macros like I should cuz it'd make me insane.

Try the Eat, Train, Progress group. They have great advice on the subject.

As far as calories go, not bad. Just understand that MFP tends to overestimate the caloric burn. Have you looked at In Place Of A Roadmap yet?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    I net between 1200 and 1400 calories. I've have been trying to eat healthier, but I still have my unhealthy food too. Today is my rest day and I had a Happy Meal. I've continued to have success with weight loss if I do this, but there are other things that my macros seem to influence. I won't go into detail, but I have problems if I don't get my fiber. That's my toughest one to get enough of. And I feel sluggish if I have too much fat, and weak if I don't get enough iron. So as far as weight loss alone, my macros don't seem to make a difference. But as a whole healthy lifestyle, they influence me a lot.
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
  • PepperWorm
    Options
    I net between 1200 and 1400 calories. I've have been trying to eat healthier, but I still have my unhealthy food too. Today is my rest day and I had a Happy Meal. I've continued to have success with weight loss if I do this, but there are other things that my macros seem to influence. I won't go into detail, but I have problems if I don't get my fiber. That's my toughest one to get enough of. And I feel sluggish if I have too much fat, and weak if I don't get enough iron. So as far as weight loss alone, my macros don't seem to make a difference. But as a whole healthy lifestyle, they influence me a lot.

I thought a couple of those were micros. Or am I wrong?

The macros that comes to mind are strictly fat, carb and protein content.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Here is what I would suggest. Since you have 60 lbs to lose, set your account to 1 or 1.5 lbs per week (which you are probably at) and eat 50% of your exercise calories or research TDEE and take a 20-30% cut (you can get away wit 30% now but will should drop to 20% once you hit 50 lbs from your goal). Aim for 1g of protein and .35g of fat per lb of lean body mass or take 70%-80% of your current weight and eat that in grams of protein. If you want, post your weight and we can set macro's. Generally, I set macro's for most people to 40c/30p/30f. Generally, this hits the macro's required.

The biggest suggestion, lift heavy and do some cardio for exercise. You might as well maximize strength gains and minimize muscle loss.
  • psuLemon
    Options

You are correct, they are micro's.
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    Oh, whoops! You're right. Mind blank. I was thinking about the bottom of my food diary only. I also went around the house looking for my shoes while wearing them. I'm not exactly on the ball today.
  • PepperWorm
    Options

You are correct, they are micro's.

Yay!

But anyway. I'm not trying to put down the other user, and that is cool if she can determine the cause of her lack of energy through micronutrients. More power to ya!
  • mrmagee3
    mrmagee3 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Here is what I would suggest. Since you have 60 lbs to lose, set your account to 1 or 1.5 lbs per week (which you are probably at) and eat 50% of your exercise calories or research TDEE and take a 20-30% cut (you can get away wit 30% now but will should drop to 20% once you hit 50 lbs from your goal). Aim for 1g of protein and .35g of fat per lb of lean body mass or take 70%-80% of your current weight and eat that in grams of protein. If you want, post your weight and we can set macro's. Generally, I set macro's for most people to 40c/30p/20f. Generally, this hits the macro's required.

The biggest suggestion, lift heavy and do some cardio for exercise. You might as well maximize strength gains and minimize muscle loss.

What about the other 10?
  • agggie550
    agggie550 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I'm a creature of habit, it is easier for me to eat a very regimented planned out food spread. I eat the same thing for breakfast for a whole week, then find a new recipe, I do the same thing for lunch, and just recently me and my girlfriend decided with out busy schedules it would be way easier to just make something in the crock pot or some sort of casserole and just portion it out for dinner during the week. It sounds boring but if you do all the work on Sunday, I have all my meals planned out and don't feel inclined to stray or impulse eat because I have no food ready to eat. As far as macros and TDEE go, that is a giant gray area of scientific mystery. Its a good theory, but life is not as simple as calories in calories out. Everything you eat is a pretty educated guess on calories, and all the exercise you do is and educated guess of a burn. And just because you only ate 3 cheese burgers and your under your calories doesn't mean it doesn't have other sodium and healthy ramifications you need to consider. So stay the course, make good food choices, because eating whatever you want but in moderation is a very slippery slope for me.
  • kirsty2604
    kirsty2604 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Here is what I would suggest. Since you have 60 lbs to lose, set your account to 1 or 1.5 lbs per week (which you are probably at) and eat 50% of your exercise calories or research TDEE and take a 20-30% cut (you can get away wit 30% now but will should drop to 20% once you hit 50 lbs from your goal). Aim for 1g of protein and .35g of fat per lb of lean body mass or take 70%-80% of your current weight and eat that in grams of protein. If you want, post your weight and we can set macro's. Generally, I set macro's for most people to 40c/30p/20f. Generally, this hits the macro's required.

that would be fantastic - my weight is 210lbs
  • amsipub
    amsipub Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I work on getting more veggies, fruits and protein in when I eat, but I don't deny myself anything. I've just learned through my journey what's worth it and what's not worth putting into my mouth. I try to make each meal and snack count and be worth the calories to eat. I find that when I eat a high protein and veggie breakfast I'm not hungry until lunch. Depending on my activity I vary between 1200 and 1500 cal/day. I find that I'm less tired when I've exercised the night before (I'm not able nor ever will be able to work out in the morning ... but I do workout if not during lunch break then in the evening). I just have a better night's rest which is great.

I still have on occasion ice cream, cookies and such, but it's not every day. I'm a sweets person usually. I'll have one square of chocolate and not the whole bar. I have to pay more for those things because I don't allow them in the house and if I'm going to buy ice cream I get the kiddie size. I have that size and drink water and wait. That's usually all that I needed was a taste. But again, if I do go over that, I'm not going to beat myself up over it. I just get back on track as soon as possible (that moment I realize what I did usually bring me right back).
  • kirsty2604
    Options
    I am also starting turbo fire today - so I need to eat right or I will die of exhaustion lol x
  • psuLemon
    Options

What about the other 10?

haha, drink it is sugar alcohol's. I just updated it to reflect 30f's. Nice catch
  • psuLemon
    Options
    I am also starting turbo fire today - so I need to eat right or I will die of exhaustion lol x

Good luck. I would highly suggest reading all the literature for that program and follow their caloric recommendations. I love beachbody programs (currently doing a hybrid of P90X2 and Body Beast). But the key is following their plan. But you don't need to cut our food groups or anything.
  • BreakingUpWithObesity2013
    Options
    I eat whatever I want as long as I stay under my cal goal. I dont eat back exercise cals.
  • kirsty2604
    Options

Good luck. I would highly suggest reading all the literature for that program and follow their caloric recommendations. I love beachbody programs (currently doing a hybrid of P90X2 and Body Beast). But the key is following their plan. But you don't need to cut our food groups or anything.

thanks I had tried to use their calorie recommendation but I got so confused filling it out!
  • psuLemon
    Options

thanks I had tried to use their calorie recommendation but I got so confused filling it out!

how tall are you? And what kind of job do you have? I can run the numbers?
  • ahclay
    ahclay Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I think it's really important to eat actual food. Unprocessed. Produce, whole grains (and that does not mean whole grain flour--I mean the whole grain, intact), lots of water. Avoid juices and other caloric drinks. I stay away from 'Diet' foods. They're full of chemicals and not at all satisfying.

You can try an elimination diet. Some people have had great success going without dairy or wheat or sugar. If you go back to a bland plan and then add in one type of food once a week, you can tell if your body is sensitive to things. I know I can't eat cold cereal. It's a trigger food for me. Same with bread. If I do eat those I try to eat them last thing in the day, and in a small portion.
  • kirsty2604
    Options
    5ft 5in, I work as a nurse (about 8000/10000 steps according to my fitbit)