Lemon-Zucchini Bars

Options
I found this recipe in Women's Health magazine (my absolute favourite!) and figured it was worth a shot. The ingredient list was pretty short, and everything in it was stuff I either already had, or wasn't challenging to get. Don't get me wrong, some of the recipes people make on here are incredible, but some of the ingredients are just too hard to find or too expensive.
Usually at the end of the day I'm craving something sweet, and instinctively I reach for the jar of Skippy (peanut butter lovers will get me) but, although healthy in moderation, peanut butter is very calorie-dense. Anyways the recipe follows, tell me if you try it or try any substitutions that were good!!

Ingredients:
- 4 oz. (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened (equivalent to 1/2 cup)
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- Pinch of salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 egg white (2 tablespoons of egg white, if you're using egg whites from a carton)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (about 1 lemon)
- Zest of 1 lemon (about 1 tbsp, I used a bit more)
- 1 medium yellow zucchini, skin on, halved lengthwise, seeded, and grated (2/3 cup)

1. In a medium bowl, cream butter and confectioners' sugar until smooth. Blend in flour and salt and press dough into the bottom of an 8-inch square baking pan (NOTE: This will be very crumbly). Chill in fridge for about 15 minutes.
2. Preheat oven to 350 F.
3. Remove crust from fridge, poke with a fork in several places and bake for 18-20 minute, or until golden brown (NOTE: I used 20 minutes)
4. While the crust is baking, make the filling. Whisk eggs, egg white and sugar. Add lemon juice, zest, and grated zucchini. Pour over the crust while it's still hot, then return to oven and continue baking until the filling is set and very lightly browned. The recipe says 20-25 minutes, however mine were in for 40. Maybe just my oven, who knows.
5. Let cool completely (I put mine in the freezer) and cut into 1" x 4" bars and remove from pan.

This recipe makes 16 bars.
NUTRITIONAL INFO PER SERVING:
Calories: 140
Fat: 6 g (4 g sat)
Carbs: 18 g
Sodium: 30 mg
Fiber: 0 g
Protein: 2 g

So not great for you, but not so bad either for a treat. If you don't like lemon, you will hate these. However, if you don't like zuccini I think you'll still enjoy them, you can't really taste it. The crust literally tastes like a Christmas cookie.
ENJOY :flowerforyou:

Replies

• puckit61
    puckit61 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    As much as the thought of zucchini with lemon grosses me out, I love lemon everything. I might have to give this a shot! Thanks!
  • Jayne2629
    Options
    The zucchini really is just there for texture and to keep it mosit, you won't taste any actual zucchini flavour at all :)
  • Lanise_10
    Lanise_10 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Sounds good...I may have to try.
  • Denjo060
    Denjo060 Posts: 1,008
    Options
    Thanks I have alot of Zuchinni this year (thats about the only thing that grew this year) LOL I definately will try this
  • Jayne2629
    Options
    Also if you only have green zucchini, the recipe suggests you do everything exactly the same but replace the lemon with lime! I'm sure if you used green zucchini with the lemon it would still taste great, but I think I'll try the lime next time :)