I don't understand why I am not losing weight:(

Options
:cry:

Hey guys!

I need some honest advice. I just started trying to lose weight a few weeks ago. I am 30 years old, 5'8 and a few weeks ago, I weighed 227. I went down to 220 and then came on my monthly cycle on Saturday and weight went all the way up to 223.8. I work out 30-40 minutes a day on the elliptical doing moderate to intense workouts. I usually burn from 350 to 400 a day on the elliptical. In addition to the elliptical I walk outside for about 30 minutes, sometimes burning around 90 to 100 cals, but the walking is not done on a daily basis. I workout on the elliptical about 5 to 6 days a week.

I try to eat 1200 calories a day; however, when I work out, I have to force myself to eat up to 1200 cals. Before, I wasn't eating 1200 cals, and I notice I was losing weight and now it seems like I am losing slowly. Maybe my cycle has something to do with it. I am not sure? I am coming off my cycle now and still no weight loss. I also failed to mention that I take Garcinia Cambogia pills daily. They are all natural and was recommended by Doctor Oz. I have done alot of research on them and noticed people saying great things and how much weight they have loss. They have no side effects. I been taking them since the beginning of this month but no real major weight loss.

It just gets depressing because I used to be 170 and it's my goal to get there again. I gained so much weight when I was laid off of my job two years ago, been depressed and sad. It's not that I ate too much to gain all this weight, but I guess it's the stress hormones.

Does anyone have any advice for me? Anything I should be doing differently? I read about the importance of strength training. I am going to buy some 5 pound weights to start toning up and I have resistence bands as well. I don't know if my lack of muscle is contributing to a slow metabolism. Well, if anyone can offer any useful advice, it would be alot.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this and respond. It means so much to me.

Replies

• SleeplessinBerlin
    SleeplessinBerlin Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Mestruation usually causes retaining water which reflects itself on the scale. It can be 2 lbs, it can also be as much as 6 or even more. Keep up the good work and make sure you eat enough. 1200kcals PLUS eat least a bigger part of those calories you burn during your workouts.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    1) Log consistently
    2) Weigh/measure everything you eat
    3) Always eat ABOVE 1200 calories...when you exercise, net above 1200.
    4) Eat back your exercise calories. Your body needs fuel for all of the exercise you're doing.
    5) Eat more caloric dense foods, peanut butter, avacodo, etc. This will help you increase your calories.
    6) Eat more protein/fiber to help you feel fuller longer. Greek yogurt, chicken, fish, etc.
    7) Yes, TOM will increase your weight temporarily. My weight didn't go back down until my 4th/5th day.

Keep those 7 things in mind and the scale will move, and you will feel happier and better.
  • Corinne_Howland
    Corinne_Howland Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert, but I don't think you're eating nearly enough calories. Figure out your BMR. This is the least amount of calories you need to stay alive. From there, any exercise will give you a deficit. I was told by one of my MFP friends to do this and it makes sence. Also make sure you don't have more than a 1000 calorie deficit.
    Here's how she explained it to me.

my TDEE 1760
    my BMR 1361

This automatically gives me a 400 calorie deficit. If I burn 300 calories excercising, that just adds to my deficit making it 700. I should be able to lose 1 plus pound per week with this process.

I have only been doing this for about 1 week. I was thrilled to find I lost 3 pounds this week, but it's my "good week" before my cylcle starts. The questions will be over the next few weeks to see if it stays gone. I went back in my log and saw that I was 1 pound less than 4 weeks ago. It's slow progress, I know. But, it's progress.

Good luck!
  • fuzzieme
    fuzzieme Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, patience is key :( I'm feeling a lot like you at the minute, gained weight after losing my job 1 year ago too. I'm just telling myself to keep at it, and I know it can be hard to meet your calorie goals but you do have to. It's tempting not to, but it's important to meet them, even if it's through adding olive oil to a salad.

Just be consistent and keep trying, and you'll get there. I find weights make a big difference, I've only been using them about two and a half weeks but they do make a difference, though 5lb might be too much to start with, I used 1lbs for the first day to get used to the moves, and since that day I'm using two 3lb weights. I tried using the 5lb ones today and my arms almost popped off :laugh: I'm using them as part of the 30 day shred. I haven't lost as much as I'd hoped (3lbs), but I do recommend it, it's on youtube
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    Too much cardio, not enough resistance training. Add some heavy lifting or body weight exercise to keep LBM while losing fat.

Not enough calories either, in my opinion. Have you tried eating at your TDEE - 20%? http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013

Weight loss is meant to be slow. It took time to pack on the pounds, it'll take time to lose them. Have you been keeping up with your measurements?

Are you using a digital food scale and accurately measuring everything?

ETA: Ditch the Dr. Oz endorsed products. They do literally nothing but make your wallet lighter. A caloric deficit is how you lose weight, not some "miracle pill."
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    First of all you need to eat at least 1200 calories a day, maybe set your goal for 1500 per day and don't eat back your calories for 2 weeks and see if that helps.

Second and most important of all, never listen or buy anything endorsed by Dr. Oz and throw away those pills!
  • tavinsmom
    tavinsmom Posts: 101
    Options
    I don't think you are giving yourself enough time. Your weight fluctuates naturally, so give it a couple months of weigh ins before getting upset about not losing anything.

Personally, I wouldn't take a supplement either. It sucks that weight loss can be slow, but it's safer to lose it slowly.
  • ajaxe432
    ajaxe432 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Too much cardio, not enough resistance training. Add some heavy lifting or body weight exercise to keep LBM while losing fat.

Not enough calories either, in my opinion. Have you tried eating at your TDEE - 20%? http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013

Weight loss is meant to be slow. It took time to pack on the pounds, it'll take time to lose them. Have you been keeping up with your measurements?

ETA: Ditch the Dr. Oz endorsed products. They do literally nothing but make your wallet lighter. A caloric deficit is how you lose weight, not some "miracle pill."
    ^^^^^^^ Everything she said.....Including Dr. OZ!!! His endorsements have been nothing but questionable as of the last couple years. Not sure about that pill, but there is no "miracle pill" for weight loss!
  • aaronagostini
    aaronagostini Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    A lot of good stuff above. For me, measuring vs. estimation makes a big difference. I put my peanut butter into a tablespoon, I weigh my pasta and sauce, and in general really try to quantify what I'm eating. It's enlightening! And the patience part is very important. There's a quote that I love that has helped me a lot with patience regarding weight: "People overestimate what they can do in a month, and underestimate what they can do in a year".
  • Christlivesinme29
    Options
    Thanks for replying:) My bmr is 1821.05 and daily calorie needs is 2823. The calculator said I should be consuming 1843, but my roommate who's a nutritionist said consume about 1200. I am simply confused. I noticed alot of folks consuming 1200 to lose weight and that's why i was trying to. Is there a way you all could see my food and exercise log on my profile? Maybe I'm eating too much fat or something. This is all so confusing:(
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    For me, strength training made a lot of difference, and it also just has made me feel so much better and so much more comfortable in my body.

But:
    Five pound weights are not going to be enough to do any muscle building. You might need to start there if you've lost a lot of muscle mass, but you'll quickly progress to needing a lot mroe weight to make any difference. I started out with 5-pound weights to learn the moves and because I'd gotten so flabby, but I increased the weights very quickly -- as soon as I could do all the repetitions and felt like I could do more, I added weight.

also? Define "slowly" - a pound a week is a good rate of loss, actually. How many weeks has it been? I know its natural to want it all off TODAY TOMORROW BY NEXT WEEK AT THE LATEST! but it just doesn't work that way. It didn't go on like that, its not coming off like that.
  • mike_usmc
    mike_usmc Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Keeep in mind your body does and wil go into a defensive mode when its not getting enough calories, or burning to many, and losing to much weight to quickly. Like was stated, you should also add in some small weight training. Nothing big but get on the floor and do some pushup's, if they are to difficult go on your knees and try from there. Weight loss is a slow process unfortunatley, but you can do it, keep your head up!
  • saschka7
    saschka7 Posts: 577 Member
    Options

I agree 100%. :drinker:

Honestly, I cannot see how you would have the energy to work out that long eating as little as you do! Seriously, eat back your exercise calories, log your food correctly, don't overestimate how many calories you burn and give anything Dr. Oz endorses a wide berth. There is no supplement or pill that will magically help you lose weight.
  • Lochlyn_D
    Lochlyn_D Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    :cry:

Hey guys!

I need some honest advice. I just started trying to lose weight a few weeks ago. I am 30 years old, 5'8 and a few weeks ago, I weighed 227. I went down to 220 and then came on my monthly cycle on Saturday and weight went all the way up to 223.8. I work out 30-40 minutes a day on the elliptical doing moderate to intense workouts. I usually burn from 350 to 400 a day on the elliptical. In addition to the elliptical I walk outside for about 30 minutes, sometimes burning around 90 to 100 cals, but the walking is not done on a daily basis. I workout on the elliptical about 5 to 6 days a week.

I try to eat 1200 calories a day; however, when I work out, I have to force myself to eat up to 1200 cals. Before, I wasn't eating 1200 cals, and I notice I was losing weight and now it seems like I am losing slowly. Maybe my cycle has something to do with it. I am not sure? I am coming off my cycle now and still no weight loss. I also failed to mention that I take Garcinia Cambogia pills daily. They are all natural and was recommended by Doctor Oz. I have done alot of research on them and noticed people saying great things and how much weight they have loss. They have no side effects. I been taking them since the beginning of this month but no real major weight loss.

It just gets depressing because I used to be 170 and it's my goal to get there again. I gained so much weight when I was laid off of my job two years ago, been depressed and sad. It's not that I ate too much to gain all this weight, but I guess it's the stress hormones.

Does anyone have any advice for me? Anything I should be doing differently? I read about the importance of strength training. I am going to buy some 5 pound weights to start toning up and I have resistence bands as well. I don't know if my lack of muscle is contributing to a slow metabolism. Well, if anyone can offer any useful advice, it would be alot.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this and respond. It means so much to me.

Dr Oz thinks he's a doctor in the same way I think I'm a grown up.
  • ajaxe432
    ajaxe432 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Thanks for replying:) My bmr is 1821.05 and daily calorie needs is 2823. The calculator said I should be consuming 1843, but my roommate who's a nutritionist said consume about 1200. I am simply confused. I noticed alot of folks consuming 1200 to lose weight and that's why i was trying to. Is there a way you all could see my food and exercise log on my profile? Maybe I'm eating too much fat or something. This is all so confusing:(
    What are you using for TDEE? Harris- Benedict equation?
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options

Hate to break it to you, but I wouldn't put much stock in what a nutritionist says. Nutritionists do not need to have undergone any particular training or be qualified in any way.

If your BMR is 1821, you need to eat ABOVE your BMR...but that sounds a bit high.

ETA: Eating fat doesn't make you fat. Eating above your maintenance calories makes you fat.
  • Xhell_on_heelsX
    Options
    1. Gaining weight during your cycle is normal

2. You're not eating enough
  • saschka7
    saschka7 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    For me, strength training made a lot of difference, and it also just has made me feel so much better and so much more comfortable in my body.

But:
    Five pound weights are not going to be enough to do any muscle building. You might need to start there if you've lost a lot of muscle mass, but you'll quickly progress to needing a lot mroe weight to make any difference. I started out with 5-pound weights to learn the moves and because I'd gotten so flabby, but I increased the weights very quickly -- as soon as I could do all the repetitions and felt like I could do more, I added weight.

Quite honestly, I was surprised when I started using weights (I only use dumbbells, a kettlebell and machines because I have just started this myself) that I could lift more than I thought. I started with 5 pounds too, just because I had read in magazines that that was what women were supposed to do.

The thing is, women are much stronger than we think we are: how heavy are shopping bags that we schlep from the car to the kitchen table? And have you ever carried a toddler around? :laugh: We lift and carry heavy things all the time and don't realize how much we are capable of.

Start with the 8 or 10 lb weights--keep at it and you'll be up to 12 - 15 lbs (and beyond) in no time!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Weigh your food.

Eat more. 1200 calories is nowhere enough for you. I started at 213 lbs, I'm 5'5" and I was 34, and my goal was 1600, without exercise calories (that you're supposed to add).
  • DiannaMoorer
    DiannaMoorer Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Don't stress! You'll be ok. And don't weight yourself during your cycle. Wait at least 2 days after it's over. You HAVE to get in at the very least 1200 calories. If you don't you can endanger your health. Count your calories,drink lots of water, exercise and eat real food.