I don't understand why I am not losing weight:(

Options

Replies

• new_beth_2013
    new_beth_2013 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Are you feeling like you are swollen? Like you are retaining water? In the past when I started a workout routine I would notice I felt puffier. I was told that it is because your body is producing more blood so your fluid volume goes up. Eventually it will pass. Menstruation doesnt help either. Give it a couple weeks to settle down and you should be good :) Drink plenty of water and lay off the sodium too if that is a tough part of your diet :)
  • AngelaV75
    AngelaV75 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm also 5'8. I was 185, now 169, and I'm aiming for around 140. I lost 6 lbs my first week and then nothing for the next 2 1/2 weeks. I got discouraged as well, but once I hit week 3 I did start losing again. I just started losing the 1 1/2 lbs a week I'm supposed to rather than the 6 lbs of water weight that wasn't real. You body was probably bouncing back from that 7 lb loss by making it a fat loss rather than a water weight loss. I also switched my calories from 1200 to 1400, which is still less than my BMR and my TDEE-20, and that helped. I didn't go all the way up to what those numbers said I should be eating, but increasing my calories seemed to help me start losing again. Just don't give up!! IF you hang in there, you will start losing again.
  • new_beth_2013
    Options

ETA: Ditch the Dr. Oz endorsed products. They do literally nothing but make your wallet lighter. A caloric deficit is how you lose weight, not some "miracle pill."

YES!
  • Christlivesinme29
    Options
    Thank you to all who have replied to me! Again much appreciation! I was wondering if there is a way you all could see my food log? Can I share it with you? Maybe I am not eating correctly? I'm not sure. Also, I do weigh everything I eat. I have a food scale in the kitchen. I also try to eat 1 serving portions as well, have cut out the rice, pasta, and bread. I am heavy on the protein though. I eat meat for almost every meal and salad for dinner and or lunch usually. I don't eat enough fruits though.

Someone also asked me about my measurements. Unfortunately, I haven't measured myself, but noticed some small changes in my arms and waist. Now I can fit blazers more better. My arms are the biggest of my problems. They are huge. It's like all the weight goes to the arms! Someone said something about doing pushups. Geez, if only I could. I use the resistance bands and will start weight training. A couple of you mentioned weights are a good choice, starting low pounds and increasing to higher weights.

When it comes to my BMR, it's 1821 and my daily calorie needs, based on my activity level is 2823. The weight loss calculator said to consume 1843 cals to lose weight. MY question is should I be consuming this much to reach my weight loss goal? It just seems like it's too much but maybe I am wrong. I guess, I'll just give it some time and see what happens. I'll continue my exercise routine and add the strength training. I just don't know what to do about the calories, but I'll add more water and fiber to my diet. I know, I could be eating more fruits and veggies. Thanks again for all your help! AND SUPPORT! All of you help so much:happy:
  • Cyclingbonnie
    Cyclingbonnie Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Although I'm not an expert either as many have said. I don't believe you are eating enough. Not so much to trigger more weight loss, but to protect against loosing muscle. When you don't feed your workouts the body will take what is easiest ...

Okay, only supplements I would take are any vitamins you aren't getting in your diet and even some of those I would forget about. I love watching Dr. Oz, but I never run out and buy the stuff he recommends. As one poster said earlier he is becoming suspect. He he seems to be endorsing some very weird stuff in the last couple of years. A few weeks ago he did the "Eat more Salmon" and then the very next day he had a guest telling you not too. Of course I've been telling people for years to stay away from the seafood too much mercury in the oceans. I get my Omega-3 fatty acids from eggs and flax. No reason to swallow fish oil pills (also full of mercury).

Measure and log and be patient that is the key. Don't estimate anything, when you are true to this you will loose. There is a chance that thyroid can be at play, but that is easily checked and if it is? You can take meds to level things out.

Big important thing is don't estimate ... measure and measure properly ... weighing your food is more accurate than measuring cups. Don't be too hard on yourself when you falter, but don't give yourself permission to falter. Do not put foods on off limits list. If you find yourself craving something very high calorie, work it in. If you approach this depriving yourself you will become frustrated and give up.

I really don't believe there is a such a thing of too much cardio ... I love the argument cardio vs. strength, don't know why it has to be an either or here. I agree strength is important lift, lift often and lift heavy ... but I promise you my cardio is through the roof, and I love every minute of it. I like to lift too it shouldn't be either or, it should be both.

Hang in there! You are on your way!
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    I'm also 5'8. I was 185, now 169, and I'm aiming for around 140. I lost 6 lbs my first week and then nothing for the next 2 1/2 weeks. I got discouraged as well, but once I hit week 3 I did start losing again. I just started losing the 1 1/2 lbs a week I'm supposed to rather than the 6 lbs of water weight that wasn't real. You body was probably bouncing back from that 7 lb loss by making it a fat loss rather than a water weight loss. I also switched my calories from 1200 to 1400, which is still less than my BMR and my TDEE-20, and that helped. I didn't go all the way up to what those numbers said I should be eating, but increasing my calories seemed to help me start losing again. Just don't give up!! IF you hang in there, you will start losing again.

Why are you eating under your BMR?
  • new_beth_2013
    Options
    Thanks for replying:) My bmr is 1821.05 and daily calorie needs is 2823. The calculator said I should be consuming 1843, but my roommate who's a nutritionist said consume about 1200. I am simply confused. I noticed alot of folks consuming 1200 to lose weight and that's why i was trying to. Is there a way you all could see my food and exercise log on my profile? Maybe I'm eating too much fat or something. This is all so confusing:(

You cannot base your needs on what works for someone else. Their intake may be that below becuase they are sedentary all day (like me- at my desk)...if your job keeps you on your feet/moving you will certainly need more otherwise you wont lose.
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    Thank you to all who have replied to me! Again much appreciation! I was wondering if there is a way you all could see my food log? Can I share it with you? Maybe I am not eating correctly? I'm not sure. Also, I do weigh everything I eat. I have a food scale in the kitchen. I also try to eat 1 serving portions as well, have cut out the rice, pasta, and bread. I am heavy on the protein though. I eat meat for almost every meal and salad for dinner and or lunch usually. I don't eat enough fruits though.

Someone also asked me about my measurements. Unfortunately, I haven't measured myself, but noticed some small changes in my arms and waist. Now I can fit blazers more better. My arms are the biggest of my problems. They are huge. It's like all the weight goes to the arms! Someone said something about doing pushups. Geez, if only I could. I use the resistance bands and will start weight training. A couple of you mentioned weights are a good choice, starting low pounds and increasing to higher weights.

When it comes to my BMR, it's 1821 and my daily calorie needs, based on my activity level is 2823. The weight loss calculator said to consume 1843 cals to lose weight. MY question is should I be consuming this much to reach my weight loss goal? It just seems like it's too much but maybe I am wrong. I guess, I'll just give it some time and see what happens. I'll continue my exercise routine and add the strength training. I just don't know what to do about the calories, but I'll add more water and fiber to my diet. I know, I could be eating more fruits and veggies. Thanks again for all your help! AND SUPPORT! All of you help so much:happy:

You misunderstood the process. You take 20% away from 2823 and get 2259. You eat 2259 calories and STILL lose weight. Do not eat exercise calories, or even bother to track them if you don't want, and you will be eating at a deficit. This will help you lose weight.

There is NO NEED to cut out ANY food or food group. It's all about the calorie deficit. You can eat ANYTHING and still lose weight.

Good luck, OP.
  • petrulak
    petrulak Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I know when I used to have my monthly that I gained a few pounds and then I would lose it afterwards due to water retention. Also, I believe you may need to be eating some if not all of your exercise calories back, specially if you are at 1200 calories a day. Going under 1200 net may put you into starvation mode and slow your metabolism. Your body will want to hold on to the fat storage for fuel because it thinks you are starving. I was at 1200 for a while and wasn't loosing anything until I bumped up my calories to 1300 and I eat back some of my exercise calories. I try not to go below 1200. Also make sure you are drinking alot of water. Good luck!
  • L1giff
    L1giff Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I took Garcinia Cambogia for a few weeks (went through a bottle) and lost very little while I was taking it...though I was dieting and exercising like a maniac. As soon as I stopped taking GC I started losing weight! But, that's just my story. It may work for others.
  • Christlivesinme29
    Options
    You guys are right about the stupid Garcinia Cambogia pills. I don't even think they're working. I am going to stop using them. I was doing fine in the beginning without them anyway.
  • rachseby
    rachseby Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Last month I lost about 5 lbs 2 days after my MC was over..I must retain a lot of water. I was freaking out b/c I hadn't seen the scale move in over a week, but then I had a big whoosh!
  • ajaxe432
    ajaxe432 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    As a previous post stated, you still need to take 15- 20 percent take away from the TDEE. With this, you should still lose weight. Through formulas (ACSM reccomened) this is correct; with one exception- that true BMR and RMR is conducted in the lab. This means you can not be precise just on the formulas alone. It is an estimate! Some times you have to tinker with the numbers. I would recommend staying between 1600-2200 calories (depending on constent activity level), add two days of resistant (weigth training), and check the scale once every two weeks. If two weeks show no progress, then increase or lower the deficit. Start with 15 percent deficit and work your way up.ACSM recommends not going above a 1000 calorie deficit and stay ABOVE 1200 calories total! If you eat below, you could fall ill. Best of luck to you, and email if you have any questions:)
  • juliasays77
    juliasays77 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Settings>>Diary Settings>>Public
    The privacy setting is at the bottom of the screen.

This will allow anyone to look at your diary.
  • ajaxe432
    Options

You misunderstood the process. You take 20% away from 2823 and get 2259. You eat 2259 calories and STILL lose weight. Do not eat exercise calories, or even bother to track them if you don't want, and you will be eating at a deficit. This will help you lose weight.

There is NO NEED to cut out ANY food or food group. It's all about the calorie deficit. You can eat ANYTHING and still lose weight.

Good luck, OP.
    Agreed! No need to cut Any Food group:) Do not fall into this common misconsumption!
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options

Good luck, OP.
    Agreed! No need to cut Any Food group:) Do not fall into this common misconsumption!

^^^This!!!

I haven't cut out one thing. If I want a beer, I drink a beer, if I want a cookie, I eat it, garlic bread, etc...etc. I eat a TON of pasta. I've lost 44 lbs. I have a friend on here who eats whatever he wants, he's lost 153 lbs!!!

The problem when people cut out foods, is when they reach their goals, they go back to eating things they cut out then wonder why they are gaining weight again. You HAVE to learn balance and moderation. Unless you plan on never eating those foods again and who doesn't want to ever have pasta again???

The trick is to make sure you are eating enough and with as much as you work out, it doesn't sound like it. You even said some times you don't eat 1200. Think about it this way...your car can't run without gas, your body can't run without food. Simple.
  • Christlivesinme29
    Options
    Guys,

I have enabled my food diary to post as public! Please view my food and exercise log and provide advice if you wish ad thanks again for everything.
  • ajaxe432
    Options
    Guys,

I have enabled my food diary to post as public! Please view my food and exercise log and provide advice if you wish ad thanks again for everything.
    Way to little, your actually below 1200 on the four days I looked at! Be carefull:) Eat way more!!!!!
  • nisharoseapple
    nisharoseapple Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hiya,

I am not a nutritionist, but I looked at your diet and you might want to try to eliminate some of the fattier foods (some days you go over your fat intake and you always seem to be under your calorie intake) for cleaner foods (unprocessed, natural food like fruits and veggies). Instead of a small scoop of butter pecan ice cream, eat two cups of sweet grapes. Instead of 6 pizza rolls, eat a full, grilled chicken breast, with a side of greens, and one cup of brown rice. Either way, eat more food, but make sure it's real food that's going to do your body good.

I also second, lifting weights. Muscle burns more calories than fat any day of the week.

Good luck and remember to be patient.

p.s. Perhaps you should speak to a nutritionist that's not your roommate.
  • Christlivesinme29
    Options
    Thanks Nisha:) Great Advice. I did think I was eating too much fatty foods, like the breakfast sausages and pizza rolls. I eat this stuff, go over on the fat and still eat below my caloric intake. I just went to the store and bought some wheat bread, bananas, strawberries, apples, and fiber one bars. The icecream will be kinda difficult for me to cut out though. The cream I eat doesn't have much sugar or fat. I don't think half a cup is that much. Grapes are filled with too much sugar so I want to stay away from them. I will try to cut the waffles out and replace with toast. For lunch, I'll try chicken breast or fish. Thanks again for looking at my diary.:happy: