Cutting body fat!

Options

Replies

• agggie550
    agggie550 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Diet,diet,diet ...................And maybe add 20 min of HII cardio in AFTER your lifting sessions ......or a 60 min walk in the evening ....

I've heard this before. Why AFTER the lifting sessions? Just curious.

Its broScience, if you do cardio before you lift, you aren't putting enough effort into your lifting, so go all out lifting, then give it that last bit in your cardio, and for me personally, cardio after lifting is a lot easier because my muscles are nice and loose, then trying to start my workout with cardio.
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I do believe you need to maintain or even build the muscle mass but for cutting fat, I don't think the recipe changes, cardio + diet = fat loss.
    It appears you are in good company with that opinion:
    http://www.dukehealth.org/health_library/news/aerobic-exercise-trumps-resistance-training-for-weight-and-fat-loss
    Aerobic training is the best mode of exercise for burning fat, according to Duke researchers who compared aerobic training, resistance training, and a combination of the two.

The study, which appears Dec. 15, 2012, in the Journal of Applied Physiology, is the largest randomized trial to analyze changes in body composition from the three modes of exercise in overweight or obese adults without diabetes.

Aerobic exercise – including walking, running, and swimming – has been proven to be an effective way to lose weight. However, recent guidelines have suggested that resistance training, which includes weight lifting to build and maintain muscle mass, may also help with weight loss by increasing a person's resting metabolic rate. Research has demonstrated health benefits for resistance training, such as improving glucose control, but studies on the effects of resistance training on fat mass have been inconclusive.

ETA - Note that in this study they did not have any participants just diet without exercise.
    Also note what I bolded at the end of the excerpt. I will take the conclusions of Duke researchers over the previous poster who said he once read some studies but can't be bothered to look them up.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Eat at TDEE -10%, lift heavy, get adequate protein intake. No cardio required, but if you want to do it you will have have a higher TDEE.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Ok even if i am a man i wanna reply to this, if that's your real picture, then i don't really see the problem
    You don't really seem like you have a lot of BF% (my guess would be less then 20)

And if you do wanna loose BF, on wich areas?

For example if you need to loose it on lower legs i would recommend doing more cardio like cycling.

Weight lifing and such does also burn fat, but cardio does it faster, only problem when doing ONLY cardio is that you loose muscle as well, so just mix it up, do 2 times a week cardio for about 60-90 minuts and end with a bit of strenght training and other days do other way around, seems for me to be working good right now (lost 13% in 4 months)

cardio spot reduces fat from legs, really????
  • drefaw
    drefaw Posts: 739
    Options
    Diet,diet,diet ...................And maybe add 20 min of HII cardio in AFTER your lifting sessions ......or a 60 min walk in the evening ....

Its broScience, if you do cardio before you lift, you aren't putting enough effort into your lifting, so go all out lifting, then give it that last bit in your cardio, and for me personally, cardio after lifting is a lot easier because my muscles are nice and loose, then trying to start my workout with cardio.

How is this Broscience??? It is as simple as you put it. It's not BS. Put your high energy and effort into your lifts, then finish off with cardio. It also seems to help with DOMS as well ......

And EPOC is NOT BS either, it IS a fact ......
  • wmstormvet
    wmstormvet Posts: 145
    Options
    I am going to check some of this out too. I need this!! Good luck!!
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options

^^^THIS^^^ Additionally, a 40-minute walk, three times a week, will raise adiponectin (fat-burning hormone) by 260%, without raising cortisol (a fat storage hormone).
  • lady_in_weighting
    lady_in_weighting Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Eat at TDEE -10%, lift heavy, get adequate protein intake. No cardio required, but if you want to do it you will have have a higher TDEE.

^^^^^

THIS!!! :) im living proof
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Ok even if i am a man i wanna reply to this, if that's your real picture, then i don't really see the problem
    You don't really seem like you have a lot of BF% (my guess would be less then 20)

For example if you need to loose it on lower legs i would recommend doing more cardio like cycling.

Weight lifing and such does also burn fat, but cardio does it faster, only problem when doing ONLY cardio is that you loose muscle as well, so just mix it up, do 2 times a week cardio for about 60-90 minuts and end with a bit of strenght training and other days do other way around, seems for me to be working good right now (lost 13% in 4 months)

That is 100% what I was thinking from reading that too.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    As others have said, train hard and eat at a deficit. The patience part is the real kicker though.
  • tfpdunn
    tfpdunn Posts: 68 Member
    Options

By that thinking, can I just do situps and kill my belly fat?

::trying to hide my sarcasm::
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options

I've not heard of this before, but probably some perceived synergy with "afterburn". Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

My reasoning is if I do an all-out HIIT session and then go try to lift, my energy stores will be mostly depleted and I am more likely to injure myself by lifting with poor form....Who wants to go do overhead presses when they're dripping in sweat and can hardly breathe?
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options

You should read 10 ways to get killer abs in this month's Men's Health magazine.
  • tfpdunn
    Options

You should read 10 ways to get killer abs in this month's Men's Health magazine.

LOL

Does it read like this?

1. Eat at a caloric deficit.
    2. Lift heavy - full body.
    3. Ignore people insisting you spend 20-45 mins on abs
    4-10. Repeat.
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options

LOL

Does it read like this?

4-10. Repeat.

Bro there's no way that works. It's all about the 'bliques, man.

ETA: Lifting heavy will make you too bulky. I know someone who lifted one day and woke up a body builder the next.
  • tfpdunn
    Options

LOL

Does it read like this?

4-10. Repeat.

Bro there's no way that works. It's all about the 'bliques, man.

ETA: Lifting heavy will make you too bulky. I know someone who lifted one day and woke up a body builder the next.

LOL
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    You look like you're in pretty good shape in your profile pic. What part of your body is the fat in?
  • mkwongh
    mkwongh Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • BonaFideUK
    BonaFideUK Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Eat at a deficit or at least what you believe is a deficit, check the scales once a week on the same day at the same time. Ideally in the morning. If you dont lose any weight then keep knocking off 100 to 200 calories each day in the proceeding week until you start noticing weight loss.

While being on a deficit you cant build muscle (naturally). You need to keep up the intensity in the gym and at the very least keep hitting the same weight and reps on your lifts all throughout your time on a deficit. This will tell your body that the muscles are important and to keep them during a deficit. If the body cant shed muscle in a deficit because it believes muscle to be important, then it will shed fat instead.
  • dbrightwell1270
    dbrightwell1270 Posts: 1,732 Member
    Options
    I do believe you need to maintain or even build the muscle mass but for cutting fat, I don't think the recipe changes, cardio + diet = fat loss.
    It appears you are in good company with that opinion:
    http://www.dukehealth.org/health_library/news/aerobic-exercise-trumps-resistance-training-for-weight-and-fat-loss
    Aerobic training is the best mode of exercise for burning fat, according to Duke researchers who compared aerobic training, resistance training, and a combination of the two.

The study, which appears Dec. 15, 2012, in the Journal of Applied Physiology, is the largest randomized trial to analyze changes in body composition from the three modes of exercise in overweight or obese adults without diabetes.

Aerobic exercise – including walking, running, and swimming – has been proven to be an effective way to lose weight. However, recent guidelines have suggested that resistance training, which includes weight lifting to build and maintain muscle mass, may also help with weight loss by increasing a person's resting metabolic rate. Research has demonstrated health benefits for resistance training, such as improving glucose control, but studies on the effects of resistance training on fat mass have been inconclusive.

ETA - Note that in this study they did not have any participants just diet without exercise.
    Also note what I bolded at the end of the excerpt. I will take the conclusions of Duke researchers over the previous poster who said he once read some studies but can't be bothered to look them up.

Based on the portion of the excerpt I made bold, I don't know that one can generalize the findings for obese adults with diabetes to a person who wants to lose 5-10 pounds and who has no metabolic disorders which affect the processing of blood sugars.