any one else experience this?

Options
Im 4 weeks into my new life style. Ive been eating healthy Ive been exercising like I need too. Up until the last few days Ive had a ton of energy and felt great other than a few joints aching.
Now Im irritable and feel a hint of nausea I went through this when I lost weight after both kids and again in 2003 when I started trying to get the weight off.

I dont know if Im low in a nutrient or maybe Im keeping my carb count too low. I also have a funny taste It reminds me of the time I tried the Atkins diet...a greasy icky something The only oil I use it extra light olive oil. I eat lots of chicken and turkey Ive only had beef 3 times in the last month

Im also feeling a tad depressed with some anxiety

I figure that is coming from the days getting shorter. Im not a winter girl at all.
Im taking multi vitamins.,extra calcium and Vit D Im doing everything right. This puzzles me

Has anyone else experienced this and if so how did you get past it. I dont like feeling like this....oh and Ive been craving dukes mayo today.....strange I say!

Replies

• goohan
    goohan Posts: 155
    Options
    i would up my calorie intake for a few days then take it down again x
  • angieskia
    angieskia Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Haven't experienced this sorry. Have you talked to a doctor? It sounds scary to me. Hope you start to feel better soon.
  • nopeekiepeekie
    nopeekiepeekie Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert, but are you taking a multi vitamin? I find when I don't take my vitamin, I get REALLY cranky.
  • Bellydance
    Bellydance Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you are feeling like this. I personally haven't lost enough weight to experience it, and of course may never feel that way, but I agree with the other post. Up your calories. Have something you usually don't have and bask in your progress and inner strength. Like my midwife told me: Push until you get on the other side of the pain!
  • JustJudy
    JustJudy Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you may not be eating enough calories. The tast you describe sounds like what happens when your body goes into ketosis. Some people refer to it as ketosis breath. Hope you find your answer soon! :happy:

Check out this link: http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/faq/f/whatisketosis.htm
  • freebirdsnsc
    freebirdsnsc Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone....for your input

Just Judy as a nurse I was thinking the same thing.....just wanted to see if anyone else experienced this..
    In the past......This is generally where I get to the point of the test and fail

I allow myself to eat something that I shouldnt and it sends me in a spiral....

Now that I know for sure Ive gotta be very cautious for a while about what I eat.....I am going to increase my calories CAREFULLY to see if it makes me feel better....

Hey at least Im nice about my foul mood

I warned everyone today I was NOT in a good mood and didnt have one problem telling anyone off so walk lightly:-)
  • freebirdsnsc
    Options
    Thought others would like to know more....I have all of the symptoms, as well as the irritably

Symptoms Of Ketosis
    The symptoms of ketosis, generally, last for several days, extending to a week in some cases, until the body becomes used to burning fats instead of glucose. The ketone level in the body may go down, but it is not to be seen as an indicator of not losing weight. The feeling of ketosis is temporary and passes away in a week among dieters. Given below are the common signs and symptoms that are associated with ketosis.
    Tiredness or fatigue
    Headache
    Feeling thirsty all the time
    Bad breath
    Metallic taste in the mouth
    Weakness
    Dizziness
    Nausea or stomach ache
    Sleep problems

How To Deal With Ketosis Symptoms
    Regular snacking helps in getting rid of ketosis symptoms. Especially protein-rich snacks, like those made from chicken, can ease the headache and other symptoms.
    It is important to include vitamins and minerals in your diet, to maintain a healthy balance in your body and keep ketosis at bay.
    Protein shakes, with amino acid supplements, are also of great help in reducing the symptoms of ketosis. Body builders, usually, drink these supplements.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    I feel like that when my carb intake is too low. Some of us are just sensitive to low carb eating, while others tolerate it quite well. I dont really know why, only that I'm sure that is the reason for me.

And seeing as low carbs send you into ketosis that would also make sense.

If you up your complex carb intake that should balance your body/mind again.

All the best :flowerforyou:
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Make sure your relaxing daily and spending time in Nature once a week or so... it's vital for your health.
  • freebirdsnsc
    Options
    ((GRINS)) I live in the middle of nature I live in the middle of a Sumter National forest I walk in the woods every day Loving the smells of this time of year. Just not looking forward to winter....I dont like cold below 40
  • Ms_Natalie
    Ms_Natalie Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    hi there...nice one on your new lifestyle choice!

You may be having withdrawal from sugary and over carbed food? I had severe headaches when I first started although they soon stopped after a week or so...your body is getting used to the new foods you are feeding it and craving the bad foods you have left behind.

However, if you are concerned, then please see your GP...make sure you are not restricting your calories too much and are eating at least half of your exercise calories back. As you continue your lifestyle change, your body will be accustomed to those set calories and you should be able to adjust the amount of exercise calories you eat back....nobody should be eating less than 1200 calories a day and you need even more if you are heavier than 192lbs xx

This is a marathon, not a sprint, and you need your body to adjust to the new food your are introducing...

Good Luck :flowerforyou:
  • jflynch45
    Options
    Same thing happened to me when carbs were too low.:smile:
  • BunnyDVP
    BunnyDVP Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Make sure you keep your proteins up. ( 50 to 60 grams a day). Also remember that you can't take your calcium with anything that has iron or magnesium. So don't take it with your multivitamin. You might want to try Vitamin B12 and also Bioten as well.

Good luck.:smile:
  • freebirdsnsc
    Options
    Thanks everyone......I dont have a problem with the proteins....I eat lots of turkey and chicken.... occasionally fish
    I take calcium when I eat and other supplements at bed time I have in the past taken Vit B12 complex...it helps some Never tried Bioten.

I increased my carbs tonight and honestly I can feel the difference already

Thanks again..
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info on ketosis, now I know what my problem is here lately! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I also recently added vitamins and in particular magnesium. Hoping to jump off the crabby train any minute now :wink:
  • YourFriendBecky
    Options
    Also... be careful of going too low on calories because for some reason low calorie diets can trigger gallbladder problems. It's a common thing. Unfortunately I didn't know this, and a few years ago I tried doing a low calorie diet (and not all that low, I think it was 1200 calories) and about 3 weeks into the diet I started getting queasy, dizzy, bad taste in my mouth, and I had a squeezing sensation in my upper abdomen/lower chest. I thought I was having a heart attack! Went to the ER and turns out it was my gallbladder, full of stones, and they did an emergent surgery.

The doctor told me that when you lose weight too fast it sends fat into your bloodstream and the gallbladder has trouble breaking it down.
  • freebirdsnsc
    Options
    My gallbladder was removed in 1994.....Im feeling MUCH better today....MUCH better
    Nasty taste is gone as well
  • angieskia
    angieskia Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Ouh sorry about your gall bladder. Do you miss Spicy Foods or do you indulge once in a while?
  • Scorpiomom222
    Scorpiomom222 Posts: 1,462 Member
    Options
    Sounds like it could it be an iron deficiency. I experienced this after having my daughter. Especially with not eating much red meat. I would suggest eating more lean beef or taking an iron supplement.
  • Scorpiomom222
    Scorpiomom222 Posts: 1,462 Member
    Options
    Also, if you're in a location where it gets darker in the fall/winter it will effect your mood. If you aren't getting enough sun, it will make you depressed. I notice these cycles ALOT more because I'm bipolar, and people with this mood disorder feel it more.