B/f deployed for a month! Discussion. :)

Options
Hey all!

So, as the title states, my boyfriend (who's in the Coast Guard) has been recently deployed for a month. We've been together for two years and this is the first time it's happened. But strange enough, I'm handling it better than I thought I would.

Anyway, my plan for years has always been to get in shape. I'm not "obese," but I'm on the cusp. I'm 164lb, 5'3.
He's tall, thin, but pure muscle, and I've always wanted to better myself so we can enjoy a more active lifestyle together. We also have a few events coming up, my birthday next month, a wedding in Oct, Thanksgiving in Nov.. So I really want to make this happen NOW. :)

I am currently in Crossfit, and have some great friends who were the ones who got me to start it. When I initially started, it was 3x a week, then 2, then 1. Then I didn't go for two weeks prior to my boyfriend's deployment. I just started back this week, and man, it's kicked my rear end. I've gone Mon, Tues, and Weds this week and I'm taking today as a rest day. I'm still deciding if I'm going back tomorrow.

I've also drastically changed my diet. I'm following the MFP recommendation of 1200/day, but I'm making sure to eat back at least some of the calories that I burn at my class. I eat greens, protein, and I'm limiting carbs by a lot.
I've read a lot about needing to eat more calories to lose weight, would that apply in my situation? If anyone knows, that'd be greatly appreciated. :)

I'm curious to see what changes I'll have by the end of the month, as I'm really sticking to this and busting my butt!

Replies

• mperrott2205
    mperrott2205 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/ - Do this.

Just keep working out, keep eating at whatever number this calculator gives you and you will lose weight at a recommended, healthy and most importantly sustainable way.

All the best to you and your partner.
  • freshstart14
    freshstart14 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    We are no longer together but my last boyfriend was in the army, and when he had a 6 month deployment, I swear I worked out more than ever before! Haha, it's a great way to take your mind off of things, and at least for me, the deployment added so much extra motivation!

I am definitely no expert, but I found 1200 calories (even with adding back some exercise calories) too low to maintain the workouts I was doing so I upped it a little bit. I'd say that would apply to you, especially if you're doing crossfit.. but a lot of other people here know better and can provide you with some good links. Hopefully you'll get more replies.

Good luck (and don't worry.. the time really does fly by)!
  • mommy3457
    mommy3457 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Underways...I struggled through them honestly. Just keep yourself busy through it. I am married. My husband went on a lot of them. TDEE would be just fine to use.
  • xX_Samantha_Xx
    xX_Samantha_Xx Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    The crossfit classes after work has definitely helped with keeping me busy. I literally have 20 minutes to get home, walk my dog, change, and head to my class, then I'm not home until 8:20 ish. So I eat a small dinner and go to bed. So I don't have much time to think. LoL.
  • xX_Samantha_Xx
    Options
    http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/ - Do this.

Just keep working out, keep eating at whatever number this calculator gives you and you will lose weight at a recommended, healthy and most importantly sustainable way.

All the best to you and your partner.

Thanks. I just tried this and it said about 1580 a day. Which is typically what I'm at once I eat back the calories I burn at class. So I guess I'm on a good track! :)
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that MFP's calorie recommendation expects you to log exercise and eat those calories too.
  • xX_Samantha_Xx
    Options
    Keep in mind that MFP's calorie recommendation expects you to log exercise and eat those calories too.

Yep! I do that also. I couldn't imagine not eating them back. I'd be hungry! LoL.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

Yep! I do that also. I couldn't imagine not eating them back. I'd be hungry! LoL.

Ok wasnt sure the way I read it. It would be pretty hard doing crossfit and eating only 1200.