Nonfat Greek Yogurt - What to Make?

Options
cc11395
cc11395 Posts: 121 Member
Someone in the office gave me a large container of Nonfat Greek Yogurt because she didn't care for it. I would love to make a healthy treat for the family with it (e.g. muffins, cookies, cake) - but no clue where to start! Got any go-to recipes to share?

Replies

• lizzylovestocook
    lizzylovestocook Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I make these really yummy pancakes with greek yoghurt.. My grandson asks for them every time he comes to visit.
    Here is the recipe.

Whole Wheat Yoghurt Pancakes

Ingredients
    2 eggs
    1/4 cup packed brown sugar
    1/4 cup melted coconut oil (or canola oil) { I used half coconut half canola}
    2 tsp. vanilla
    1 cup Greek yogurt { I used vanilla 2% greek yoghurt}
    1 cup milk
    2 cups whole wheat flour
    2 tbsp. baking powder
    1/2 tsp. salt

Directions
    1.In a large bowl whisk together the egg and brown sugar until smooth. Add melted coconut oil, vanilla, yogurt and milk. Quickly whisk together.
    2.Add the flour, baking powder and salt and stir until just combined. If the batter seems too thick, add 1-2 tablespoons of milk to thin out.
    3.Pour about 1/3 cup of batter onto a greased griddle or skillet. Cook until the edges look dry, then flip over and cook for another few minutes until both sides look brown.
    4.Serve hot with maple syrup or toppings of choice.
    I froze the leftover pancakes and reheated them another day and they were just as good.
  • wrests
    wrests Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Ooh, I LOVE Greek yogurt! You can use it to make healthy Ranch, marinate chicken (it makes for the most tender chicken ever, it really is amazing), make greek yogurt 'cheesecake' bites (I mix it with fruit, hot coco, or jello pudding powder and freeze it in a muffin tin for an easy snack), make sauce with cucumber, use it in place of mayonnaise in chicken salad recipes, use it sweetened with Splenda instead of cream cheese for stuffed French toast...I'm sure others have great ideas as well!
  • jhloves2knit
    jhloves2knit Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    bump
  • leaveittolinda
    Options
    I make EVERYTHING with Greek Yogurt. I had Gastric Bypass surgery and non-fat Greek Yogurt has tons of protein, no fat, few carbs. I use it instead of sour cream. I make a couple different salad dressings using it instead of mayonnaise. I buy a small container of Marzetti's Cream Cheese Fruit dip and mix it with a half cup of Greek Yogurt to dip fruit. The fruit taste comes through much better than the dip buy itself- it is too overpowering. Just some of the ideas that come to mind this minute.
  • JollySnidge
    JollySnidge Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    There was a recipie in Country Living magazine recently about brownies made with non-fat greek yoghurt. I couldn't cut it out because it was a library magazine, but I'm sure a quick google will show it up.
  • mrshallewell
    Options
    perhaps try this if your a chocolate fiend like me

http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2013/07/26/chocolate-greek-yogurt-pie/
  • weali
    weali Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Someone in the office gave me a large container of Nonfat Greek Yogurt because she didn't care for it. I would love to make a healthy treat for the family with it (e.g. muffins, cookies, cake) - but no clue where to start! Got any go-to recipes to share?

This isn't a treat but....I use it when I make baked "fried" chicken it will keep the chicken super moist while it's cooking--also use panko with the flour....

and now back to the actual question....go to supercook.com you can put in what ingredients you have and it will give you recipes
  • bcassill2013
    bcassill2013 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I mix in blue berries, red raspberrys, black berries and Fiber One cereal.
  • cc11395
    cc11395 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    These are all such great ideas - thank you!!! I might have to add this to my weekly shopping list!
  • LaLaB0
    LaLaB0 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing the pancake recipe! I have not tried making them with greek yogurt, sounds perfect for our family. :D
  • lizzylovestocook
    lizzylovestocook Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I'm sure your family would love them..my grandchildren do..
  • DeborahBatewell
    DeborahBatewell Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I substitute for anything that requires sour cream.
  • Brad805
    Brad805 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
  • GabyBaby916
    GabyBaby916 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • StephIntrepid
    StephIntrepid Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Make a moist cake with Greek yogurt instead of oil, make a tzatziki dip, or just add shredded cucumber and slather it on a pita, or add honey and nuts, or spinach dip, or or or or.....
  • madV31
    madV31 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You can make an awesome greek yogurt cheesecake that has no cheese!
  • PhoenixStrikes
    PhoenixStrikes Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I add it I to smoothies, I eat it with a little fruit and honey in it, I use it instead of sour cream, I use it instead of egg as a base to coat food before breading it, you can mix almost anything into it and you use it as a salad dressing I:E one tablespoon BBQ sauce plus yogurt = dressing.
  • railzy
    railzy Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I substitute for sour cream a lot. I add 1 tsp of dry Fiesta Ranch dip mix to it and it gives it a spicy ranch flavor. I use that for bake potato topping, dipping for veggies, etc. It is very good and I think you'd love it. You can add regular ranch dip mix if you don't like the spicy version. That is my favorite way to eat it! :)