Green Tomatoes

Options
Does anyone have healthy easy recipe ideas for green tomatoes? I love them fried but that isnt really an option for me right now. :-P What else can you make with them? Salsa?

Replies

• Melissa22G
    Melissa22G Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    Fried.

Sorry....

As a southerner I can't accept them any other way.
  • JessG11
    JessG11 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I need some ideas myself. I picked three thinking I'd over "fry" them but I'm for sure interested in some other ideas.
  • paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Could you maybe do an oven fry like with chicken? I believe that you could probably achieve a very similar flavor and texture doing it that way.
  • Lisa_Rhodes
    Lisa_Rhodes Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Fried.

Sorry....

Agreed :smile:
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    Could you maybe do an oven fry like with chicken? I believe that you could probably achieve a very similar flavor and texture doing it that way.

This is what I would try. How about a green tomato caprese salad with basil and mozarella? Some balsamic vinagrette? YUM!
  • mbhuntrn
    Options
    chop, add chopped onions (about 4:1 tomato to onion), raisins (a couple tablespoons, a good splash of red wine vinegar, some brown sugar and/or stevia to balance the vinegar, a minced hot pepper and some curry powder or garam masala- not too much. Bring to boil and cook over low heat until dark and syrupy- this is a green tomato relish or chutney. Serve with any meat or with cream cheese (low fat, of course!) on crackers.
  • cassiegal724
    cassiegal724 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I've never had green tomatoes, fried or otherwise. I have a ton of green tomatoes on the vine right now, maybe I should try ;)

I would definitely try to mimic fried green tomatoes in the oven. coat in flour, then dip in some milk or egg wash, then coat in a mixture of breadcrumbs and cornmeal. Then I'd bake at 400-425 until desired tenderness. I bet it will be amazing. Place it on a cookie cooling rack to get browning the whole way around.
  • MissOaks
    Options
    Great idea!
  • MelissaH0910
    MelissaH0910 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Fried.

Sorry....

This, although I'm not a southerner.
  • MissOaks
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions! Cant wait to try them all ;-) Yumm Yumm
  • Happywife913
    Happywife913 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    This isnt too much healthier, maybe not at all but green tomato cake. I'm sure there is a way to put a healthy spin on it but its similar to a spice cake.