Loose Skin

Options
I know that the important thing is that I'm losing weight and developing healthier eating and exercise habits. But, I'd be lying if I didn't say a big part of my motivation is looking good. That being said, I've lost over 100 lbs. (still around 60 more to go) and I've noticed that skin in certain areas is a little bunched up and loose looking. I was wondering with other people who have lost weight what they do about this and if it goes away, or how to get rid of it.

I've heard that the younger you are, the less likely that your skin will do this. I am 25 years old. I don't know what that means in terms of skin elasticity, but just thought I'd throw that out there.

Replies

• jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Adding mass has helped me tremendously with loose skin. As my shoulders, back, and chest have grown it has stretched skin tighter across torso.

Good luck and amazing job on weight loss so far. Keep it up!!
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    That's awesome, good job!! The skin is a big organ, take care of it, good nutrition, water. I am sure it will change for the better, you are young and that is an advantage! Weight lifting changes what's underneath, and that makes a BIG difference in your skin. My personal experience and belief is that massage therapy does a LOT to improve the tone of your skin, especially deep tissue massage which improves the functioning of your lymph and your circulation in general.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    You certainly have age on your side but everyone's circumstance will be different. There are lots of variables that come into play, and all you can do is try all the options and in the end like in my case I was living with 17 lbs. of loose skin and for me it was worth taking out a loan and ridding myself of the loose skin once and for all. I will be paying it off over the next few years but I would do it again in a heartbeat.... Best of Luck

www.gettingfit4life.com
  • StillStrugglin
    StillStrugglin Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I was 35 when I got gastric bypass and had been 300+ since I was 13 years old, or so. I never thought I would shell out for plastic surgery. But one day, after I had lost about 100 lbs, I was running (joyously) down the steps in my jammies. There was this weird slap, slap, slapping sound! My bf said, "What's that noise?" I said, "That is the noise of me Googling plastic surgeons!" :) Twas expensive but worth every penny. (YMMV)
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options

This.

And not just because the doggie at the top of the article is adorable. :wink: Most of my success has come from following the sage advice of people like Tom Venuto.
  • sammyjo1088
    Options
    Hmmm....so for the people who have gotten surgery, you all seem happy with your results. I'm always just afraid of something like surgery cause I don't want big scars or to have problems because of it later down the line. I read the link that was posted and it seems if I just focus on lowering my % body fat that that will help some, but that genetics plays a role, too.

It seems unfair to go through all the trouble of losing the weight and then you get down to the weight you want but still have to wear loose, baggy clothes cause of all the skin folds :(. I hope mine go away quickly after losing it :P!