Healthiest & tastiest way to cook chicken breast?

Options

Replies

• Briargrey
    Briargrey Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Not as healthy but still works well and tastes awesome: Smash up a bunch of those French's Onions in a bag. Dip the chicken breast in a beaten egg (or just lightly oil with oil of choice - I prefer olive or walnut or avocado) then toss in bag and coat lightly. Then cook at 375 for about 30-50 minutes (depends on your oven, the size of the breast, etc - my oven sucks so any temp/time combo I give will probably be skewed for people with good ovens). Just use a thermometer to test for doneness and if not done, toss back in.

The key is really to just keep watching it and making sure it doesn't overcook. And then add spices you like - poultry seasoning (obviously) works well with chicken, sage, tarragon, thyme, marjoram, etc. Just try different things and different combos, but don't put too many different spices at once unless you know they go well together!

I've also sometimes added a bit of water or low sodium chicken broth to keep more moisture in and floated fresh herbs in it to help flavour.
  • Vee7889
    Vee7889 Posts: 20
    Options
    Mine usually turn out dry and just tasteless, so yeah tips?

Get yourself a thermometer... That way you know the internal to of the chicken... If its dry its because its being over cooked.. Oh & l love using a foreman grill for chicken breasts!! So fast & delish :)
  • AleshiaBunting
    AleshiaBunting Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Grill Grill Grill!

Italian Chicken

1 - 5 lb bag of frozen chicken breasts
    1 jar of sliced peppercinis(?)
    1 packet of zesty italian seasoning.

Toss all ingredients in crockpot and leave to cook all day on low or half a day on high.

I eat it on salad or just plain.
  • AleshiaBunting
    AleshiaBunting Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Let the chicken sit 5-10 min before cutting into it.
  • ClementineGeorg
    ClementineGeorg Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I braise chicken breast in a little water, with honey, lemon juice, minced pickled jalapenos, a little bacon (optional), herbs and seasoning. For a big breast I use 1 teaspoon of honey, one tablespoon of lemon juice, one small jalapenos and enough liquid to cover 1/3 of the breast (the water could be replaced with stock/soup, but I prefer water).
    That way the chicken is full of flavors, tender and moist. I use less liquid in braising if I want it more dry (depending on what I am using the chicken for).

I also braise in the same way whole chickens. :D Just love the flavor.

I just love braising... :D
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    My chicken tends to be quite moist if eaten when hot (juice drain by the time it gets cold) and I just pan fry dry with a lid on and it's always perfect! Might be a good option.

I also season with a lemon and herb or cajun club house mix, they are tasty.
  • LauraHasABabyJack
    LauraHasABabyJack Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I put frozen chicken breasts in the crockpot on the morning with some water, all purpose seasoning or lemon pepper, salt and sometimes a bit of sugar then leave it on low until dinner. They are super tender and adding the salt and sugar does a brine as it thaws and cooks. They fall apart as they get pulled from the crockpot. As a bonus you can refrigerate the cooking liquid then skim off the fat and use it as broth for soups.
  • angeltg
    angeltg Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I will prepare my chicken breast before hand. I will place the marinade ( usually pepper,fresh garlic,lemon juice,olive oil,and mustard) in a ziploc bag and freeze. as it thaws it marinates and I pop it in oven or BBQ. delicious and always very juicy.
  • SPBROOKS68
    SPBROOKS68 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I cook mine in a roasting pan, covered for about 30 minutes at 350 degrees and it is always moist and good no matter what spices I put on it!
  • PamelaGailJacobucci
    Options
    I bake mine with a little bit of honey mustard on it.
  • prosperkat
    prosperkat Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    My go-to recipe is lemon thyme chicken -

In a small pan, squeeze a lemon over the chicken, then put the lemon in the pan and place the chicken breast over the lemon (so it is not sitting directly on the pan). Sprinkle the chicken with thyme and a little salt/pepper if desired. Then slice up an onion and toss into the pan with a few cherry tomatoes. Cover with foil and bake in a 350 deg oven for about a half hour.
  • PAnn1
    PAnn1 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Boneless, skinless chicken breats trimmed of all visible fat. Marinade in Kraft Zest Italian dressing for an hr. or more in the fridge.
    Grill indirectly (not over heat) on ti foil until almost done (juices run clear). Then throw on grates to crisp up.
  • NiBo1689
    NiBo1689 Posts: 20
    Options
    I either use a Foreman grille or bake it.
  • sharonfoustmills
    sharonfoustmills Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    there are lots of options for keeping it moist inside:

you can coat it with an oil or butter
    you can wrap it in foil when you cook it
    you can soak it in liquid before cooking it (fruit juice, water, whatever you want to use)
    put a lid on the skillet if you saute it
    you can boil it in water then broil quickly in oven to lightly brown it

do something that traps the moisture in the chicken, then let the chicken sit in whatever you cooked it in for about 5 minutes before serving (this is true for any meat, cooking pushes moisture and juices out but the meat will reabsorb some of it if it sits a few minutes before serving- chefs use this trick for steak in restaurants)
  • paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I love to experiment with cooking and there are sooooooooo many great chicken recipes out there for the taking, but this one is super simple:

Chicken breasts (boneless skinless), coat in low cal mayo (or yogurt if you prefer), not too thick just enough to hold a light coating of bread crumbs of your choice. Bake at 350 for about 40 mins (or until done).

This comes out moist and delicious every single time and you can add a wide variety of sides to change things up.

edited to add:
    If you have it and like it, you can spray baking dish with a bit off cooking spray. I don't bother with it even if it sticks a little its nothing to clean.
  • tambam69
    tambam69 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    lots of good ideas here
  • wesleysmom11
    Options
    Not as healthy but still works well and tastes awesome: Smash up a bunch of those French's Onions in a bag. Dip the chicken breast in a beaten egg (or just lightly oil with oil of choice - I prefer olive or walnut or avocado) then toss in bag and coat lightly. Then cook at 375 for about 30-50 minutes (depends on your oven, the size of the breast, etc - my oven sucks so any temp/time combo I give will probably be skewed for people with good ovens). Just use a thermometer to test for doneness and if not done, toss back in.

I LOVE this.. it's so good..it's a staple in my house.. totally worth the entra calories! YUM.. i want some tonight now, thanks :)
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Perhaps not the healthiest addition, but Shake N Bake makes some yummy, juicy chicken. I wash the chicken and dip/soak in milk before coating.
  • AmandaLY17
    AmandaLY17 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I typically pan fry mine. It takes doing it a number of times and watching how time and temp cooks your food to get it down pat. My fav. ways to enjoy chicken is to dump salsa on top (my kids call it pizza chicken for some reason lol) or with srirancha sauce and lime juice. they (chicken breasts) also lend themselves to being great 'one pot' meals as you can also pan fry your veggies in the same pan. Chicken and broccoli is a great combo.