10 Ways losing weight is like learning to drive a stick

Options
10 Ways losing weight is EXACTLY like learning to drive a stick

1. You know what you’re supposed to do, but it’s a LOT harder in practice than it is in principle...and you totally obsess about details you later find out are minutia.

2. Sometimes you freak out when you need to just stay the course, and it causes you to stall.

3. You avoid hills. (literally and figuratively).

4. You start thinking other people are trying to sabotage you, when it really has nothing to do with you at all. (WHY are you so close behind me! WHY did you offer me free pizza!)

5. You aren’t always sure when you need to change gears, and sometimes you do it wrong.

6. Other people give you “helpful hints” but you really have no idea what they’re talking about. (“You just need to meet your feet in the middle, like a balancing act.” “You need to NET above your BMR” Whatttttt?)

7. Getting started is the absolute hardest. Once you get going you’re golden.

8. Sometimes you roll backwards when you’re not expecting it, and it freaks you the hell out. Then you stall and have to start again. :(

9. You envy people who seem to be able to just do this naturally. It requires an immense amount of concentration and effort for you to do every little thing.

And finally some good news:
10. Once you finally get the hang of it, you actually enjoy it. It eventually becomes second nature and you don’t even have to think about it

Replies

• AnotherTryLiz
    AnotherTryLiz Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    LOVE this! Your exactly correct. LOL
  • doowop713
    doowop713 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Love this. Thank you!!! Great post!
  • Skyebella27
    Options
    That was great -- it was so true. Thanks for posting!
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    So far, in my life, I have been able to lose weight whenever I've wanted to. I have failed to learn to drive a car because I have never really wanted to (environmental impact, cost, lack of exercise). So for me, that's the big divider in life: do I really want to?
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I always double clutch my hamburger.
  • sharonfoustmills
    sharonfoustmills Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    absolutely true, for driving and eating healthier
  • Fr3shStrt
    Fr3shStrt Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Love this.
  • _chiaroscuro
    _chiaroscuro Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Perfect! Get in mah newsfeed!
  • musycnlyrics
    musycnlyrics Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    awesome post! I can definitely relate to a lot of this!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I agree with everthing except #3. Never avoid hills while losing weight - at least not in the sense where you're exercising outdoors (walk, run, bike). They're a great natural challenge! :)
  • crisbabe81
    crisbabe81 Posts: 170
    Options
    I agree with everthing except #3. Never avoid hills while losing weight - at least not in the sense where you're exercising outdoors (walk, run, bike). They're a great natural challenge! :)

I think she meant driving up the hill as an analogy for weight going up hill. At least that is how I took it!

OP, great post.
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    LOVE IT!!! I think I'll share this with my boyfriend to see if he better understands my weight struggles after I taught him to drive stick! :wink: :laugh:
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    Love it!

And SOOOO true!
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Can't relate - automatics are way harder for us Brits :D
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    this is awesome! and i cant drive a stick lol. but i CAN and WILL do this.
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    Haha, silly Americans and their inability to drive a stick.

In most of Europe you're not even getting a licence if you can't drive a stick.

I had to learn to drive an automatic recently. Pain in the rear end. I hate cars that do stuff for you. I have the same irritations towards parking assistance. Stop beeping, I know there's a car behind me.
  • lvnh
    lvnh Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Love this! Thanks for sharing!
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Speaking as a hardcore car guy, this is awesome. So true.
  • peeaanuut
    peeaanuut Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Is finger palming a hamburger like a heel toe?
  • dsdotcom
    dsdotcom Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    That's really cool. Number 3 FTW!