Spaghetti Squash

Options
nedtoloseme
nedtoloseme Posts: 98 Member
Has anyone had spaghetti squash? How does it taste? I wanted to try it, but not sure how to cook it. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Replies

• asalembier
    asalembier Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    We tried it once, baked it, added Ragu to it, and it tasted horrible.
    We weren't big fans, and went back to whole wheat spaghetti instead
  • SarahRose35
    SarahRose35 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I use Zucchini and I really like it. I'm not a fan on Corn/Rice pasta, and since I'm Gluten Intolerant this is my heaven when I'm craving it (:
    I don't have any fancy tools, so I usually use a cheese grater to slice up the zucchini then I boil it for 3 minutes, you do NOT want to overcook it. I top mine with Tomato sauce or a greek yogurt cheesy sauce & then some protein!
    Yumm
  • lesliev523
    lesliev523 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!!!

I stab it a few times with a knife, then microwave it. It depends on how big your squash is... but 5-8 min is usually good. I don't like to over cook it because you want it to be stable for any sauce you add. And it is completely gross and nasty when it is mushy...IMHO

I love it with any tomato sauce (especially a hearty meat sauce).

My favorite is simply dressed in some olive oil with garlic, parmesean, and sea salt. YUM!!!!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    We bake it. Cut in half, scoop out insides, bake then pull out the stringy part. It's hard to describe the taste, not strong, a little sweet with some crunch. It in no way is like pasta except for look but we really like it.
  • glynda66
    glynda66 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    It is very tasty.
    You could boil or bake it.
    Add butter, salt and pepper.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    cut it in half, scoop the seeds out, place face down on a cookie sheet, bake at 350 for roughly 30-45 minutes, scoop out, tada...spaghetti squash
  • nedtoloseme
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I think I may try it this weekend. I'm trying to get away from alot of processed foods.
  • iquiltoo
    iquiltoo Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Just keep in mind it's not really anything like spaghetti - it is a squash! I do like it with some pasta sauces on it, but that in no way makes it like spaghetti. I have read rave reviews where people have said Oh my this is just like... and tried it, and, um, no, no it's not! I like it very much just baked as someone mentioned above, and a bit of butter and salt and pepper.
  • Ashleymarie88
    Ashleymarie88 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I actually like the spaghetti squash over using the zucchini. I tried it for the first time last week and really felt like i was getting the same satisfaction as i would eating pasta. Of course its not exactly the same. It is not as tender as pasta and it has a sweet after taste. I really liked it with some olive oil salt and pepper with baked garlic and basil chicken with some Parmesan cheese on top. The zucchini was always to watery for me...just to warn you one squash makes a lot of food it lasted me three days lol good luck!
  • TenaciousTerri77
    TenaciousTerri77 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Are you talking about the huge yellow squash? I have tried regular squash before and love it. I was in Ruby Tuesday's a week a go and ordered salmon with zucchini and squash. Well when my plate arrived I thought they brought me pasta because the squash looked just like spaghetti!!!! It was soooo delicious and the waiter brought a little side of marinara to try with it and was pretty darn good, although I preferre it plain with salt and pepper. I would like to know what they used to get it so perfect like noodles.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Are you talking about the huge yellow squash? I have tried regular squash before and love it. I was in Ruby Tuesday's a week a go and ordered salmon with zucchini and squash. Well when my plate arrived I thought they brought me pasta because the squash looked just like spaghetti!!!! It was soooo delicious and the waiter brought a little side of marinara to try with it and was pretty darn good, although I preferre it plain with salt and pepper. I would like to know what they used to get it so perfect like noodles.

It actually comes out of the skin like that. Once cooked you pull it out with a fork and its stringy.

Just to add to my above post, I am a hard core pasta fan but I do enjoy the spaghetti squash with pasta sauce/meat sauce over it.
  • TenaciousTerri77
    TenaciousTerri77 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! Thanks for the clarification.....I will definitely start making it at home!
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    I live for it! It taste like squash.. but thinner and stringy-er. But its a great substitute for pasta :) Cut it in half and remove the seeds. Make face down in a little water at 375 for 40 minutes. It'll scoop out in a string like form. I like to saute mushrooms and onions and zucchini and other veggies and top the squash...then add marinara sauce or whatever sauce you are looking for. I usually eat it with chicken. Love it.
  • cwaters120
    cwaters120 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    We bake it. Cut in half, scoop out insides, bake then pull out the stringy part. It's hard to describe the taste, not strong, a little sweet with some crunch. It in no way is like pasta except for look but we really like it.

This is how I cook mine :bigsmile: I LOVE to top it with taco meat (cooked with onions and green peppers), low fat cheese, lettuce, tomatoes and taco sauce. its also really good with your favorite chili over the top :drinker: I don't really like tomato sauce so that isn't something I use, but my kids like a good thick meat and marinara sauce over it with parm cheese. Its also awesome when simply done with a touch of butter, sea salt and cracked pepper (parm cheese optional :wink:) - I must admit, I enjoy it this way... topped with a bit of maple syrup (well, it IS Vermont! LOL)
  • jsquash
    jsquash Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I think it has a very mild taste. If you like summer squash or zucchinni you will probably like it. It doesn't taste like spaghetti noodles, so don't expect it to, but it tastes good with toppings you would put on pasta. I cut my squash in half, scoop out the seeds and any loose strings, put a little olive oil on it, cover the exposed side with aluminum foil, and bake the squash for 45 min- 1 hour at 400 degrees. Once the squash is tender you can scrape out all insides and eat as you please.
  • masaka
    masaka Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan! My wife and I found a pretty good spaghetti squash dish over on serious eats awhile back that we've made several times:

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/03/spaghetti-squash-with-sausage-kale-and-sun-dried-tomatoes-recipe.html

We use chicken sausages instead of pork ones, and you could serve it with a marinara instead of the butter for the squash! Does pretty well for a couple of meals.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    love it, and so does the whole family!
  • Querian
    Querian Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!!!

I stab it a few times with a knife, then microwave it. It depends on how big your squash is... but 5-8 min is usually good. I don't like to over cook it because you want it to be stable for any sauce you add. And it is completely gross and nasty when it is mushy...IMHO

I love it with any tomato sauce (especially a hearty meat sauce).

My favorite is simply dressed in some olive oil with garlic, parmesean, and sea salt. YUM!!!!
    I absolutely love it too! Skip the tomato sauce, cook it this way in the microwave and then saute in olive oil or butter (I use Earth Balance), season to taste, then top with parmesan and pine nuts. It is so good!

DON'T substitute it for spaghetti, make your own wonderful thing with it instead! But if you do sub for spaghetti use half real pasta and half squash and then it is pretty darn good.
  • JskC1893
    JskC1893 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I didn't like it when I made it in the microwave (i don't think I cooked it enough / it was hard for me to tell).

I followed this recipe in the oven, and now it is my go-to way to cook it. My whole family likes it when done this way!!

This is a recipe for spaghetti squash carbonera, but I just use the part about cooking the spaghetti squash!!

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/spaghetti-squash-carbonara-recipe2/index.html

Its an easy to follow, delicious way to do it, plus its emeril, so I feel like that says something for the recipes quality!!

:smile:
  • nedtoloseme
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Look forward to trying it.