How do you get in enough protein?

Options
13»

Replies

• fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options

I used two calculators...one was total body weight and one was lean body mass. I'm guessing on my lean body mass, last time it was measured was 20 years ago, when I was an athlete. The total body weight was way too high.. like 161g

A more accurate way to do it is to figure out your body fat percentage (via calipers or online calculator, preferably calipers), take that percentage of your total weight, and subtract it to get your LBM

For me:
    136 lb total weight.
    20% body fat
    20% of 136 is 27.2 lbs of fat
    136 - 27.2 = my lean body mass (IE everything but fat), which is 108.8, round to 109, so I have a minimum requirement of 109 g protein per day.

Sorry if I oversimplified. :flowerforyou:

Simple is good! lol I'm confused now about what I'm supposed to do. My friends used their total body weight, calculated their TDEE, took 20% off that to lose weight, then calculated their macros on the new number.

I need to calculate my bodyfat again. Back in the day, I had 120 lbs of lean body mass, according to my trainer at the time. Now, I'm 41, probably lost a lot of muscle.

Many people calculate macros as a percentage of their total calorie allotment, which is what you are describing. However, macros should be based on your personal body composition. Many people can have the same calorie allotment with very different body compositions.

So first calculate your calorie needs (TDEE-20%). That is your total calorie goal and like you said, it is based on your total body weight. That is separate from your macro calculations, which are in grams, not calories, and are based on LBM.

Next calculate your macros based on a minimum of 1g protein per pound of LBM and 0.35g fat per pound of LBM. Increase either of those as desired, then fill in the remainder with carbs. If I am just making this more confusing, PM me and ask questions or I can also do the calculations for you if you PM me :tongue:
  • echelonokie
    Options
    I find it odd that you don't get in more protein. My trouble is I seem to get too MUCH according to the numbers. -.- Lots of white meat chicken and turkey.
  • chelseascounter
    chelseascounter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Starkist tuna, tilapia :yawn:
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    I find it odd that you don't get in more protein. My trouble is I seem to get too MUCH according to the numbers. -.- Lots of white meat chicken and turkey.

You are probably using the automatic MFP recommendations, which are generally regarded as being too low for protein.
  • athensguy
    athensguy Posts: 550
    Options
    Well, my protein goal is 68 grams before exercise adjustment, so it isn't that difficult. Greek Yogurt, Soy, Fish, Seafood, etc. get me over my goal just about every day.
  • catfive1
    catfive1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt mixed with protein powder. Especially chocolate flavour.
    43932452 Posts: 7,246 Member
    Options
    Eggs, lean meats, nuts, nut butters, yogurt, cottage cheese, whey protein, protein bars.
    After eating those things my proteins look much better.
  • yobby1969
    yobby1969 Posts: 80 Member
    Options

I used two calculators...one was total body weight and one was lean body mass. I'm guessing on my lean body mass, last time it was measured was 20 years ago, when I was an athlete. The total body weight was way too high.. like 161g

A more accurate way to do it is to figure out your body fat percentage (via calipers or online calculator, preferably calipers), take that percentage of your total weight, and subtract it to get your LBM

For me:
    136 lb total weight.
    20% body fat
    20% of 136 is 27.2 lbs of fat
    136 - 27.2 = my lean body mass (IE everything but fat), which is 108.8, round to 109, so I have a minimum requirement of 109 g protein per day.

Sorry if I oversimplified. :flowerforyou:

Simple is good! lol I'm confused now about what I'm supposed to do. My friends used their total body weight, calculated their TDEE, took 20% off that to lose weight, then calculated their macros on the new number.

I need to calculate my bodyfat again. Back in the day, I had 120 lbs of lean body mass, according to my trainer at the time. Now, I'm 41, probably lost a lot of muscle.

Many people calculate macros as a percentage of their total calorie allotment, which is what you are describing. However, macros should be based on your personal body composition. Many people can have the same calorie allotment with very different body compositions.

So first calculate your calorie needs (TDEE-20%). That is your total calorie goal and like you said, it is based on your total body weight. That is separate from your macro calculations, which are in grams, not calories, and are based on LBM.

Next calculate your macros based on a minimum of 1g protein per pound of LBM and 0.35g fat per pound of LBM. Increase either of those as desired, then fill in the remainder with carbs. If I am just making this more confusing, PM me and ask questions or I can also do the calculations for you if you PM me :tongue:

Ahh...that makes sense. Thanks! I think I can handle that =D

What I have learned today:

1. I was calculating my macros based on the wrong number..duh (but so are my friends, lol)
    2. I probably only need about 100g of protein, which is only 25g more than my average. Cool!
    3. Supplement with low cal protein shakes..the more protein per scoop the better. Add more protein to the protein shakes, with pb2 powder, chia seeds, yogurt, greens, other protein sources,...brilliant!
    4. Stock up on lean protein....lean turkey, grilled chicken, tuna, scallops(yum), lean beef, beans, protein powder, egg whites.
    5. Plan meals starting with the protein, fill in with fats and good carbs.

All great advice! Thanks
  • jacobhrobertson
    Options
    My ideal is 201 grams per day. With the training I'm doing now (lot of cardio, training for a 5K) I generally get around 150-180. I eat chicken once or twice a day, and have a protein shake if need be. Not too hard. Oatmeal is a decent source as well, providing 10 grams in a 300 calorie serving.
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Sottage cheese and Greek yogurt ... My diary is open, I get anywhere between 130g-170g of protein daily (w/o even truing, just eating what I like) ... I'm only 5'2 and 103lbs, so I'm getting way more than someone my size would typically need (though, I do train really hard ...)
  • yobby1969
    Options
    Sottage cheese and Greek yogurt ... My diary is open, I get anywhere between 130g-170g of protein daily (w/o even truing, just eating what I like) ... I'm only 5'2 and 103lbs, so I'm getting way more than someone my size would typically need (though, I do train really hard ...)

Your diary is awesome! Nice to see that you can get that kind of protein, without gorging on meat. I'm not a huge fan of red meat, and get bored with chicken.
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    I love protein, but I hate being a sucker.

So eventually I started to wonder why optimal protein intake just so happened to be such a round number, expressed using grams (fund on nutrition labels) per pound (not even metric!) of body weight or lean body mass.

I don't want to start a fight, but I will suggest you get different results for your research if you don't stick to sources that confirm what supplement companies want you to think. Once you have met your requirement of essential amino acids necessary for muscle repair, any protein consumed on top of that will offer no advantage over the other macros in terms of body composition.

I loves me some protein and will happily eat over 200 grams in a day, but I don't think it makes a lick of difference in lean body mass if I do that or if I eat 75 grams. If you're a 150lb person who is not an elite athlete getting 75g of protein per day, drinking whey protein shakes is not going to change a thing, except for the potency of your flatulence.

Now casein, on the other hand. Is a different story. But that's because it is so good at making you feel full for so long.
  • placebomonkey
    placebomonkey Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Cashew nuts trust me you cant stop eating them once you open the packet !
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    Cashew nuts trust me you cant stop eating them once you open the packet !

Those are a fat source with some protein in them. Not a bad thing to eat, but not a good way to get protein up.
  • mrmagee3
    mrmagee3 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert in this area, but that seems like an incredibly high protein requirement for a female. Even one doing weight training. Are you really really tall maybe? And doing like tons of weight training? Otherwise I can't figure out why your protein macro is so high...

138g = 552 calories from protein

About 35% on a 1600kcal diet plan. So...seems about right.
  • jovalleau
    jovalleau Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I keep getting Goals of over 200, but I can normally make it to about 160 grams of protein. That's with two protein shakes mixed with milk and raw oats, and a meal consisting of Chicken, beans, and whole grain brown rice. I'm not sure how I can consistently get more protein either, unless I just started downing egg whites all the time.

Edit: My protein shakes don't have the high levels of protein, only about 32g per two scoops.
  • Lochlyn_D
    Lochlyn_D Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Fish is also a great source of protein and typically lower in calories than land based foods.

I disagree. 100 g of Atlantic salmon was upwards of 250 cal whereas 100g of extra lean turkey breast was 160 cal. Thats why I switched from salmon to turkey for my protein. The turkey also has more protein then salmon so I can make my goal faster.
  • yobby1969
    Options
    I love protein, but I hate being a sucker.

So eventually I started to wonder why optimal protein intake just so happened to be such a round number, expressed using grams (fund on nutrition labels) per pound (not even metric!) of body weight or lean body mass.

I don't want to start a fight, but I will suggest you get different results for your research if you don't stick to sources that confirm what supplement companies want you to think. Once you have met your requirement of essential amino acids necessary for muscle repair, any protein consumed on top of that will offer no advantage over the other macros in terms of body composition.

I loves me some protein and will happily eat over 200 grams in a day, but I don't think it makes a lick of difference in lean body mass if I do that or if I eat 75 grams. If you're a 150lb person who is not an elite athlete getting 75g of protein per day, drinking whey protein shakes is not going to change a thing, except for the potency of your flatulence.

Now casein, on the other hand. Is a different story. But that's because it is so good at making you feel full for so long.

Thanks, something to think about =) I read one study and it directly contradicts another. It's very frustrating. I have hypoglycemia, so I tend to do better with protein in every meal and healthy carbs. I've had so many friends keep track of their macros and have been able to eat this way for awhile. They have increased their energy, lost weight and fat, are in better health in general. And bonus, they don't feel deprived. It seems like a very balanced way to eat.

Thanks for the ideas guys! I made an effort to include protein in every meal this week and I've had more energy. With a little planning, I was able to stay in the recommended goals for all macros and it wasn't too difficult.. The scale is finally moving again! I'm going to stick with it.