SERIOUSLY! TONE UP!

Options
13»

Replies

• lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Sorry to ask a question on somebody elses thread but since you are discussing weight training what are everyone's thoughts on resting every other day? Ive heard you should rest a day between strength training to "give your muscles a rest". True?

I prefer two days to recover. That way I can work a day of HIIT or a long cardio session in without having it mess up my weight training or being too sore from weight training to do it right. I'd rather go all out when I do weights, and take a longer recovery.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    From Lenkearney: start slow and build gradually- do NOT try to lift heavy until you have been exercising with light to moderate weights for three months. This gives your joints, tendons and ligaments time to get stronger before you heavily stress them.

This makes sense--this is the first thing I've read that suggests how to start out. I have access to weight machines and dumbbells but not barbells so I think I'm going to join a fitness center through my college and hope and I get someone to help a beginner start out.
    Disagree here. The body can adapt to muscular stress quite quickly. A month max would be the limit that I keep a client on moderate weights. By then if their body hasn't adapted to the weights, then chances are they aren't consistently doing work outside of training with me.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    My advice would be to work out with low weights and do more reps to develop lean muscle....if you want to bulk up then use heavier weights and do fewer reps. =)

NO, NO, NO! Using heavier weights will not bulk you up. Lower weight/more reps only builds muscle endurance. If you want to look good, keep working on losing fat and lift heavy. It will change your body like you won't believe.

So if muscle endurance is what I want, so I can climb all day, every day, for a week, I should be be doing huge sets of low weights?

a mixture of both.

Think about it this way, 2 people have equal muscular endurance capabilities. One of them can do a chinup with 50kg of weight added and the other can do it with 20kg of weight added. (they are both the same weight) When climbing, the stronger one will be using much less force per "rep".

So you still want to get stronger outright but include higher rep stuff also. No need to focus on a single rep range IMO.
    THIS. Endurance isn't just regulated to how long someone can last at one exercise. Runners are great at running, but put a weight in their hands and have them do multiple reps of clean and press and they gas out fast. And vice versa.
    Personally I find people who train for triathlons and MMA conditioning are some of the best fit people around.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • moxiept
    moxiept Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    This is a good thread. thanks for all the tips and website links!
  • danapenguin
    Options
    wow everyone is so awesome on here! thanks everyone! with all the links and advice I think i have got a good idea on where to start! thank you! =D
  • luckyladybug24
    luckyladybug24 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Sorry everyone...it's what I was told to do so...clearly I got bad advice. Seriously...I Was just trying to help. Sorry. =(
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Sorry everyone...it's what I was told to do so...clearly I got bad advice. Seriously...I Was just trying to help. Sorry. =(

It's okay. A lot of us made the same mistakes starting out, but now you know :) Even if it is blunt or a little harsh, the advice on here is really worth listening to :)