Can you over exercise?

Options
So, here is my question. My husband thanks I am over excercising. I disagree.

Monday thru Thursday, I work out at the YMCA for about 1 hour burn approximately 400-600 calories. Then on Fridays, I get off work at 12:30 so since my husband and the kids aren't home, I go to the Y and spend about 3 hours there. I try to exercise lightly since I'm there for a longer period of time but I never just sit or stand without working out.

Am I over exercising?

Replies

• Natural
    Natural Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    sure it's possible, depending on what you're doing. your body needs rest. you can work out everyday - i think the time, intensity, muscle groups matter. i work out 6 days a week and tomorrow is supposed to be my rest day, but i may not rest at all. i enjoy it. i just won't over do it.
  • sgssmile
    Options
    I don't know the answer but that does seem like a lot I think you are supposed to give your body a rest. You sure do get an A for effort!:happy:
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    It is possible to over train, but the amount you are doing would not even come close to that. As long as you have energy and are eating enough, it is difficult to train too much. Some people on MFP burn over 1000 cals/day 5 days per week.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    My husband says the same thing to me, I spend about an hour 5x a week in the gym. I am efficient though, I don't stop the entire time I'm there. I don't think it is too much. What are you doing those 3 hours? If you're on a cardio machine, it may be a little overkill...if you're lifting and doing a class or something, it is probably fine. I also love to work out.
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    You take weekends off? If that's the case, I don't think that's too much. You just gotta learn to listen to your body when it wants to take a break.
  • nikkishai
    nikkishai Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Hmm, interesting. I once spent 3 hours on the elliptical, but I was going so slow that I didn't really get anything out of it. If you're within your target heart rate the whole time, more power to ya, but if you're not even breaking a sweat, I don't think 3 hours is beneficial.
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    I agree with erickirb. An hour a day is hardly over exercising and the 3 hour day sounds like a light-take it easy-but still burn a few cals day.
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    My husband says the same thing to me, I spend about an hour 5x a week in the gym. I am efficient though, I don't stop the entire time I'm there. I don't think it is too much. What are you doing those 3 hours? If you're on a cardio machine, it may be a little overkill...if you're lifting and doing a class or something, it is probably fine. I also love to work out.

Why would 3 hours of cardio be overkill. People run longer than that to do a marathon.

As others have said, if you give your muscles time to rest and eat appropriately you are not likely to overtrain.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    What you're describing averages out to 7 hours per week.

Not overtraining, IMHO. Maybe what your husband is saying is "I miss you when you spend 3 whole hours at the gym" or something...Just guessing....
  • ktyang04
    Options
    Mondays and Wednesdays

I spent 30-45 minutes on the elliptical then I get on the treadmill for the rest of the time. Sometimes I spend more time on the treadmill and less on the elliptical. I try to get some stairs and rolling machine in between. Sometimes, I get on a bike... ect. Mostly cardio.

Tuesdays and Thursdays

I spent 30 minutes on a treadmill or elliptical. Then for the rest of the time, I do free weights, abs, legs, arms, ect... more weight training.

Fridays

I do it all... 45 minutes or 1 hour on the treadmill, 45 minutes or 1 hour on the elliptical, 30 minutes bike, 20 minutes stairs, 20 minutes rolling machine, 30 minutes weight training, then 10 minutes streaching.
  • ktyang04
    Options
    What you're describing averages out to 7 hours per week.

Not overtraining, IMHO. Maybe what your husband is saying is "I miss you when you spend 3 whole hours at the gym" or something...Just guessing....

Good guess but no he is still at work til 5 and the kids (4) are still in school. I usually still beat them home. Unless he's saying... you need to clean the house... :)
  • cberen
    Options
    Your body needs rest, 3hrs might be overkill
  • jamie31
    jamie31 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I dont think that its over exercising. I workout 2.5 hours a day 6 days a week burning about 1500 to 1800 calories a day ( in workouts) and I have been fine.

If your body is tired all the time then you may be overexercising for yourself. Dont go by what others say, every persons body is different. Just listen to your body
  • dwarfer22
    dwarfer22 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I don'r think the excercise is bad, but maybe he is questioning it for other reasons. Maybe he is the insecure/jealous type who doesn't like you out and about. Maybe he is jealous of your success and is subtley trying to sabotage you. Maybe he is resentful of the free time that you have to devote to excercise (does he also have an outlet or hobby that he can spend time on?) Could be alot of things going on there than what meets the eye. Kind of a cynical view and may be wayyy off track but it's food for thought.