Thinking about buying a set of weights - which ones?

Options
I am considering getting some dumbells for use with squatting, lunges etc. The question is what size? I can do about 20pressups so instinct tells me 1kg won't be enough? Obviously I don't want to buy too heavy or too light! Suggestions?

Replies

• kaned_ferret
    kaned_ferret Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you're in the uk or not, but if you're thinking dumbells, Argos are doing a pro fitness tree with 3 different weights on for £9.99. I'm just off to pick mine up now :) The weights range from 1kg up to 4.5kg
  • BEEUK
    BEEUK Posts: 113
    Options
    I bought hand barbells and plates, they're much easier to increase and decrease for each exercise.

I started off with these then bought a barbell and larger plates as i gained strength.

Starting weight to see results for me was 3kg, 1kg is pretty much doing the movement with 0 weight.
  • bigbeff
    bigbeff Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I am, thank you. I may take a visit to Argos :)
  • JamesDanek
    JamesDanek Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I would say get adjustable bars and weights. you can buy pretty inexpensive vinyl weight plates and bars and add to the collection as needed.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    Start with at least a dumbbell set with bars and weight plates to around 30K total; again available from Argos, UK.

Also, don't give up on you bodyweight exercises, they are just as valid as weight lifting.
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Argos do a decent set. £60

Not exactly cheap, but they will do you for a long time, and you can do endless exercises with them

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/9017393/Trail/searchtext>DUMBBELLS.htm
  • morpheousneo
    morpheousneo Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I agree - adjustable dumbells would be better. I've checked around with intent to buy and the ones in Argos are going for a decent price and have good reviews. Check them out online.
  • bigbeff
    bigbeff Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I'm going to have to work out my budget and take a look :)