1700-1800 calories for 4'11 ladies?

Options
Is this ok to eat as long as I'm exercising? Also my hair falls out with the 1200 calorie a day. :(

Replies

• Mitzigan94
    Mitzigan94 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    beep
  • robinellis
    Options
    what does MFP say you should eat a day?
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    If you can eat it and still lose weight on the time table you want, then yeah. The only cap on the amount you can eat is you and your goal. I'm 5'3 and my goal is 1725, for point of reference
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Is this ok to eat as long as I'm exercising? Also my hair falls out with the 1200 calorie a day. :(

how much are you exercising?
    what does MFP tell u to eat?
    are you losing on that?
    don't lose ur hair.
    wrkout cals?
  • Mitzigan94
    Options
    MFP says bmr is 1200, workout cals is usually 100-300 a day. I workout four to five times a week.
    My water intake is sufficient enough I think. I take in 8-9 8 oz glasses of water a day.
  • Mitzigan94
    Options
    what does MFP say you should eat a day?

I'm not exactly sure coz I'm still new to the MFP. All I know is I'm set to 1200 calories a day.

I eat 1300 to 1500 calories a day on days that I exercise. Still, I don't understand whyI I'm having small amount of hair fall.
  • Noiram55
    Noiram55 Posts: 43
    Options
    Hair loss probably nothing to do with your calories. My daughter lost hair when she was under stress. :smile:
  • tjthegreatone
    Options
    The only way you'll know is to suck it and see.
    Eat at 1800 for a month and see what happens.That will inform your next strategy.
    The problem with the BMR/TDEE calculators is that they are rough estimates at best and you'll still be out one way or another.
  • adorable_aly
    adorable_aly Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    It depends what your goal is? Are you looking to lose half a pound a week? One pound a week?

I'm 4"11 too and eat 1550 cals, but my fitbit tells me I burn 1700 a day (sedentary) so it might be possible if our exercise is intense enough. But i imagine you'll be looking at half a pound a week.

Why don't you try 1600 and see how you feel? You shouldn't be hungry on that and you'll get nutrience that you need.. If your hair is falling out make sure you're getting a balanced diet, think about a multivit and see your doctor.
  • astartig
    astartig Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    imho, if your hair falls out at 1200 calories when you are at 4'11 a doctors visit is required... if you're eating a balanced diet you should be able to get all your nutrients at that calorie level. Something is going astray there. You're not in starvation mode. (unless you are climbing mountains... ) your bmr is only 1400 ish, 1200 is not far under that at all.

go to your doc and get bloodwork done. something else is going on. probably anemia or something along those lines.
  • Th3stral
    Th3stral Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    If your hair is falling out you should really considering seeing your doctor. It could be a hormonal issue which needs checking out.

With regards the 1200 calories a day causing problems, it might be worth looking at what you are eating, so for example are you hitting your protein/carb/fat intake or are you having 1200 calories worth of added sugar/sodium? This is where the 'if you meet your macros' thing comes in. Treats etc are great and not off limits, but you need to make sure they fit in with a balanced diet for health as well as weight loss.

I'm 4'11 and I couldn't loose eating 1700-1800 calories a day, but we are all different and you can always try and change it if it's not working.
  • Nicola0000
    Nicola0000 Posts: 531 Member
    Options

I eat 1800 cals a day and I'm 5'7", not trying to lose
  • Mitzigan94
    Options
    If your hair is falling out you should really considering seeing your doctor. It could be a hormonal issue which needs checking out.

With regards the 1200 calories a day causing problems, it might be worth looking at what you are eating, so for example are you hitting your protein/carb/fat intake or are you having 1200 calories worth of added sugar/sodium? This is where the 'if you meet your macros' thing comes in. Treats etc are great and not off limits, but you need to make sure they fit in with a balanced diet for health as well as weight loss.

I'm 4'11 and I couldn't loose eating 1700-1800 calories a day, but we are all different and you can always try and change it if it's not working.

Oh, yes my 1200 calories a day iare worth of added sugar and sodium. That probably explains.
  • Mitzigan94
    Options
    Hair loss probably nothing to do with your calories. My daughter lost hair when she was under stress. :smile:

Actually Im super under stress right now. Just recently lost a loved one from stomach cancer (my grams).. ALso, I have a friend who recently died from tragic car accident. that probably explains. (:
  • Buddhasmiracle
    Buddhasmiracle Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    I'm 4'11" and consume about 1600 calories daily. I am in the last stretch of weight loss (I lost 27 lbs using another site). All of the calculators, including MFP, are estimates. Your height is already factored into the various equations. I'd suggest at least upping your calories to 1300 NET.

In addition to the unfortunate losses that you have recently experience, some people report hair loss after being on 1200 cals daily over a period of time.
  • RosyBest
    RosyBest Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I'm no dietician, but that seems a bit high. I am 5'10 and I eat 1650 a day and have been losing inches and weight. That just seems like a lot of calories for such a small frame.
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/
    Don't know your weight or age, so I can't do it for you, but this will tell you roughly how much to eat.
  • essjay76
    essjay76 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    If you're burning about 100 to 300 calories a day, then 1700 to 1800 may be too much for you. That may be your TDEE. Take a little off of that for a loss. Maybe 1400? Experiment with the numbers.

Personally, I am 4'10" 103 pounds and I maintain on about 2000-2200 calories a day, but that's because I also run quite a bit. (burn about 700-1000 calories a day). I lost 9 pounds by eating at 1600 calories a day gross, plus my exercise. Again, it worked for me because of my activity level. It may not work for you.

The hair loss may be stress. Talk to your doc. Biotin helps.
  • Mitzigan94
    Options
    My workout before was on a stationary bike and burn 300-500 calos a day. But as of now I was put on arm ergometer by my physicians due to leg weakness. I'm guessing the arm ergometer burns less calories than a bike. Probably when I was doing stationary bike workouts I must have stayed on 700-800 calories a day due to calories burne by the workout.
    Uggh. These number of bmr, cal intake are giving me headaches.. LOL. But, guess I'll have to try again and not pressure myself much on the losing weight part.
  • carrietehbear
    carrietehbear Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Just for a frame of reference: I am almost 5'1" tall. I started off eating 1200 calories but I did get to a point where my hair was falling out and I was tired. So I upped my calories to 1400-1600 depending on my exercise. Right now I'm maintaining my current weight around 1950 w/ 5-6 days of exercise.