Being Made Fun Of For Eating Healthy...

Options
So my family always told me that I needed to start eating healthier and exercising more. They never thought that I was overweight or necessarily needed to even lose any weight, but they said it just because I never exercised and I ate a lot of junk food. So now I have gotten more conscious of myself and I have been eating healthy, counting calories, and working out everyday. And now I get made fun of and laughed at by the same people who always told me to do what I am now doing. Am I the only one having a hard time making the cross over to a healthier lifestyle? It makes it a lot harder to keep with it when everyone just laughs at you for adding up the calories in what you're eating or for making a salad instead of eating something unhealthy.

Replies

• CMB1979
    CMB1979 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Time to part ways with some people in your life.
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    I"m a school bus driver. When I was training and brand new, I had packed my healthy lunch of a sandwich on whole grain bread with dark chocolate and water bottles and a few of the veteran drivers made fun of me and said, "Do you drink milk when you go to the bar, too?" But I look at them, and look at myself, and they can make fun all they want, b/c at least 70% of my coworkers are morbidly obese...

Take it with a grain of salt. They're not the ones who have to shoot you with insulin if you become diabetic!
  • GlutesthatSalute
    GlutesthatSalute Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    No you're not the only one who gets made fun of for making different choices.. No matter where you go people are going to judge you, comment on things you do good or bad. You have to remember you can't make everyone happy.. BUT you can make yourself happy.. so say F em and do what makes YOU feel good. I eat clean for the most part and when I do go off track I don't hide it from friends or co workers.. it's my life/body and I'm going to do what makes me HAPPY..

YOU have to have the IDGAF attitude.. in almost ALL aspects of life. :flowerforyou:
  • GetFitE
    GetFitE Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Try to ignore them and just keep doing what you're doing. I had coworkers who would look at me sideways and laugh because I would measure out my foods and came to work with a lunch box full of small containers to assemble my meals together, but my journey is not about them. So you just have to keep sticking with it and doing what you're doing and ignore them. It's all about you and what YOU want to do!

Good luck!
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Sometimes family members are stupid and annoying.
  • tiffany24601
    Options
    It gets awfully hard to do that when those people are parents, step parents, grandparents... lol
  • vhanquist
    vhanquist Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    all I can say from experience of my own is SOMEONE IS ALWAYS GOING TO BE UNHAPPY WITH WHAT YOU DO! The most important thing is if YOU are happy. Don't let others control you and your mindset so much. Its hard but once you let go and stop caring what others think you will truly feel great about yourself :) Hang in there!
  • cwaters120
    cwaters120 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I know first hand that family can be difficult. While happy to tell you what you need to do, you will never do it right - even if you do it like they told you to in the first place. If you find it difficult to listen to or easily get derailed by the negativity, you may need to distance yourself from them for a while (provided it's possible) until you can be confident enough in your routine and progress to not get derailed.

That being said, have you spoken to them? Have you explained to them how difficult you find the negativity and how unappreciated it is? they can have differing opinions and still not be so "poo-poo" about it. Make sure you've come across clearly about the necessity of positivity around you right now.

SOme of those family members may need you to take care of them one day - how can you do that properly if you aren't taking care of yourself? Just a thought :wink:

Good luck with them all! :flowerforyou:
  • christyallgood
    christyallgood Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    My husband is the number one person who makes fun of me and, laughs and criticizes me on what I do and eat. I tend to hide what I am doing from him. I am tired of hearing him. In fact, right now I am making myself dinner when he is at my son's football practice because I won't eat what I made for him.lol He threw a tantrum last week (again) about not having food for him in the house. He means frozen tv dinners, ice cream, cookies, and any other processed fast food he can think of. He will not get on board with healthier lifestyle at all. It is frustrating.
  • Girlrose
    Girlrose Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I find that people constantly make little judgments about what I eat (healthy or not) at whatever weight I am. For example, I ate a cupcake when I was at a heavier weight and my mom told me (years later, when I wasn't overweight anymore) that she thought, "She really shouldn't eat that cupcake. Her thighs are so big!" Fast forward to now, when I'm at a healthy weight. I was at a baby shower where there were sweets. My cousin walked around with a tray of cupcakes and encouraged me to have one. "You should have one," she said. "You're thin."

Now that I have started to exercise and eat healthily, my family members tend to make a lot of comments. My sister said, "Why are you eating spinach for lunch? You're not fat." It's like they have the mindset that you need to be overweight to have a healthy lifestyle.

I've learned to ignore what is said and to not let it affect my healthy eating. It sure would help to have supportive people around, though!
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I am thousands of miles away from my family but my husband is very supportive. My parents eat a lot of tv dinners so I think if I went home to visit for an extended period I would have to buy and prepare my own food.
  • bohica36
    bohica36 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Just tell them that you're eating healthy because you want to look good at their funeral.
  • Shesaid_destroy
    Options
    Just tell them that you're eating healthy because you want to look good at their funeral.

That's a good one ! I liked the comment about them not being the ones shooting you with insulin.

I am fortunate enough to have a supportive bf and supporting family. My co workers however will gaze at my change of ways, just because they knew i used to never turn down an after work beer and now i have pledged no alcohol until further notice. But it's slight fun they are poking at me, they are intrigued.
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    Let them revel in their jealousy. It's a bitter pill.
  • BonnieandClyde29
    BonnieandClyde29 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    No you're not the only one who gets made fun of for making different choices.. No matter where you go people are going to judge you, comment on things you do good or bad. You have to remember you can't make everyone happy.. BUT you can make yourself happy.. so say F em and do what makes YOU feel good. I eat clean for the most part and when I do go off track I don't hide it from friends or co workers.. it's my life/body and I'm going to do what makes me HAPPY..

YOU have to have the IDGAF attitude.. in almost ALL aspects of life. :flowerforyou:

^^this
  • Shetchncn1
    Shetchncn1 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    They know they should be doing the same thing but they are just displacing their guilt. Just say "whatever" and blow them off.
  • drefaw
    drefaw Posts: 739
    Options
    I hear it at work almost daily... Doesn't bother me at all. Like was said earlier, they are usually the one's that could use it more than myself. I actually got the cafe here at work to start offering more healthy options, so they all ***** about the junk food that was taken away to put the healthy options in place ...hahahahahhahaha

They actually sell protein shakes, ect here now ....and you get a discount on healthy snacks or meals .....

So, no matter who whines about it to me, it is still a big WIN in my book .....
  • frizbeemom
    frizbeemom Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I hear it from family, friends and coworkers... not too meanly but I'm considered a little "crazy", but I don't mind it at all. This works for me and is getting me closer to my goals... while most of them are jealous of the progress I've made but aren't willing to do it themselves.
  • Idreamoflean
    Options
    Don't let it get to you. Human nature is for people to comment/chat about others. You're doing the right thing and getting healthy. There's probably a bit of jealousy in there from others too! People try to offer me sweets and biscuits when they know I'm counting calories :grumble: