Apps that record mileage for your runs..

Options

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I used to use Endomondo, which was super great at what it does, but stopped using it once I got my Up.
    Someone says that they're pretty sure Endomondo overstates burned calories. I agree, but all those maps do so too.
    I think they all overstate calories. Endomondo is giving me about 158 calories per 10:30 mile and I weigh 170. I think that is high by maybe 25% or so, comparing it to calculator at Runner's World:
    http://www.runnersworld.com/tools/calories-burned-calculator
    a recent run that Endomondo said was 1338 came up as only 1079 at Runner's World.

FWIW my Garmin Forerunner 610 comes in very close to Runners World's net calorie calculation works out to for me.....

http://www.runnersworld.com/weight-loss/how-many-calories-are-you-really-burning?page=single
  • Mtfd02
    Mtfd02 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    mapmy run or nike + I use Nike + so I can map and distance my runs etc.
  • sammyneb
    sammyneb Posts: 257
    Options
    There are a lot of them out there, an honestly they are all good in their own right, and most of them free (mapmyrun, runtastic, Nike +, etc.) but one good feature of mapmyrun (I know Nike doesn't do this, not sure about the others) is you can sign on you computer and map a run a head of time. That is great on longer runs, so you aren't just going out there and running circles trying to get your mileage in. Just an FYI :)
  • buchy2009
    buchy2009 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Be careful about trusting the distance that these apps give you. When I used Mapmyrun, it was overstating the mileage of my runs by about 10% pretty consistently.
  • blohndie_77
    blohndie_77 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know of an app for an android phone that maps out the routes and miles you run, while you run? I’m doing the couch to 10k and am about at the stage where I need to start mapping out routes, rather than just blundering through woodland.

I’m in the UK, if that’s relevant (I don’t really know how apps work)

Or would an HRM do the same thing?

Help!

I have Couch to 5K and it maps the runs. You just have to turn the GPS on on your phone.
  • IowaJen1979
    IowaJen1979 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I like Map My Run (or Map My Fitness). It records your pace and split times, and you can post it to Facebook and Twitter. It also shows routes people have taken in your neighborhood.
  • lois4468
    lois4468 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I LOVE using RunKeeper.. it works with MFP and my Fitbit . I can make routes, add friends, and do more than just run. My husband and I do it for walking. EVeryday!!
  • belinus
    belinus Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I like RunKeeper because of the GPS bugs out, I can use GoogleMaps as a backup with clicking and snapping to streets.
  • MatthewLewis81
    MatthewLewis81 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I like MyTracks by Google. It tracks by GPS and is really accurate. It tracks route, distance, average speed, maximum speed, total time, and total moving time. You can view all of this as you go along, which I use to increase my speed if I find I need to get my average up a bit.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Mapmyrun fr me!
  • TheRunningGuppy
    TheRunningGuppy Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    MapMyRun, free, it does give you the splits at each mile on the free version.
  • Runs4Wine
    Runs4Wine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    RunKeeper - I've been using it for about 3 or 4years.

I never got the GPS for MapMyRun to find me no matter where I went so I bagged it for RunKeeper. Haven't looked back.
  • wilmaln
    wilmaln Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    bump
  • elebel82
    elebel82 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I really loved endomondo but found it to be a total battery drainer.

I've been using runkeeper lately and so far so good, but unlike with endomondo you have to be careful to "save" the run. I lost my first real 10k using runkeeper because I hadn't worked this out beforehand, alas. I do like the way it tracks your progress though.
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I really loved endomondo but found it to be a total battery drainer.

I've been using runkeeper lately and so far so good, but unlike with endomondo you have to be careful to "save" the run. I lost my first real 10k using runkeeper because I hadn't worked this out beforehand, alas. I do like the way it tracks your progress though.
    Odd. I have sometimes forgotten to exit Endomondo and left it running overnight. Seems to have only a slight effect on the battery. I have a Droid Razr M and the battery is only good for maybe 36 hours top even using a battery extending app, so I charge pretty much every day anyway. Endomondo use doesn't make me have to charge any more often.

ETA - I usually run every other day about 90 minutes. I ran last night and I just plugged my phone in to charge. It had 55% left, which is pretty close to normal for a day with or without having used Endomondo.
  • Alwayssohungry
    Alwayssohungry Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I have been using MapmyFitness, but several people have told me to try Endomondo so I'm trying it starting today...
  • DPernet
    DPernet Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Sports Tracker :smokin:
  • claudialenz711
    Options
    I've just started using RunKeeper. I'm still figuring it out but so far I like it.

I LOVE RunKeeper. Its awesome! You can set it to tell you how far you've gone based on time or mileage and when you're done it shows a map of where you've been. You can sign up for different training plans too. Right now I'm doing the half marathon plan. Almost all the training plans are free too.

Another great point - RunKeeper updates to MFP for you with the time you ran and how many calories. Its so nice!

Used runkeeper for over 6 months to track my bike rides and walks. But always had to manually put it in to MFP although they're linked. Runtastic does a much better job (even my squats and crunches ;))
    Though not sure about it on android as I'm on iPhone.
  • fgsaiffe
    fgsaiffe Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have tried several apps. My favorite by far is Adidas MiCoach. Not only is the GPS great, gives you maps, miles, calories etc but if you want, it has an actual Coach telling how fast or slow you should run along your route. It's fantastic. Moreover,,it's free. It's great on Android or Apple phones. Check it out http://micoach.adidas.com/
  • smithed812
    smithed812 Posts: 289
    Options
    I use Nike+ and love it!