Reversing Type 2 Diabetes - new research Newcastle Uni

Options
For those trying to lose weight to improve diabetes or reduce the risk of getting it, this might prove a very interesting link. Essentially it's about following a minimum calorie diet for a couple of weeks to spark the pancreas back into action. The trials have been very successful. Here's the link: http://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres/research/diabetes/reversal.htm :happy:

Replies

• AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    Fantastic, thanks for posting.
  • Rambopal
    Rambopal Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this. Interesting.
  • AlabasterVerve
    Options
    Can this be taken seriously? The study was from two years ago but I haven't heard anything about it -- did I just miss it? I would have thought there would have been more coverage of this but so far the only thing I've found was this article:

http://www.healthcanal.com/metabolic-problems/diabetes/41385-tv-special-shows-diet-reverses-type-2-diabetes.html

That and this line from the site you linked to has me wondering...
    Do bear in mind that your doctor will be wary of information from the internet – but this comes from Newcastle University.
    Why isn't this a thing? Is it because there's something wrong with the research?
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Can this be taken seriously? The study was from two years ago but I haven't heard anything about it -- did I just miss it? I would have thought there would have been more coverage of this but so far the only thing I've found was this article:

http://www.healthcanal.com/metabolic-problems/diabetes/41385-tv-special-shows-diet-reverses-type-2-diabetes.html

Do bear in mind that your doctor will be wary of information from the internet – but this comes from Newcastle University.
    Why isn't this a thing? Is it because there's something wrong with the research?

So, if it isn't announced via the media then it isn't "real"? You do know that what we are presented on tv is only the part of the story right? You know how tv gets to us-it's funded by certain interest groups. Research that has shown processed foods to be detrimental to health rarely get airtime but "research" that suggests things like "eating eggs as bad as smoking cigarettes" does (and the study actually shows no such thing). Do ya think there might be a reason for that? Seen any commercials lately? What kinds of food are being advertised? Ok, now stick with me... those companies are the ones paying for your program.
  • bmreed0920
    bmreed0920 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Looks interesting. Thank you for sharing.
  • SirBonerFart
    SirBonerFart Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's any secret losing weight can prevent type 2 diabetes
  • AlabasterVerve
    Options
    So, if it isn't announced via the media then it isn't "real"? blah blah blah
    '
    I don't watch TV -- I don't even buy cable just some sort of antenna service so no, I haven't seen any commercials lately. I also haven't seen anything about this research anywhere mainstream or alternative outlets. So if you stick with me... is this credible?
  • AlabasterVerve
    Options
    I don't think it's any secret losing weight can prevent type 2 diabetes
    You didn't read the information that was linked to did you?
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    "Only when a person has more fat than they can cope with does type 2 diabetes develop. In other words, once a person crosses their personal fat threshold, type 2 diabetes develops. Once they successfully lose weight and go below their personal fat threshold, diabetes will disappear."

Interesting claim. I wonder how much research they've done into helping doctors determine what their patients' thresholds are. Certainly, keeping a healthy weight is going to be the goal, but some people may be in more danger of crossing over than others, and need more aggressive intervention.

That totes sounds like a drug intervention, lol.
  • Binkie1955
    Binkie1955 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    thanks so much keep sharing what you find. we're obviously not well informed by American media.
  • MutterGans
    MutterGans Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Glad some of you good folks out there found this interesting....I'm a bit of a science geek. University research departments have trouble getting their research out there and to us, so I always try to go to the source. If any of you LOVE science research to (all science, not just diet related) then I can recommend http://www.sciencedaily.com/news which will provide you with a plethora of great links to the latest research.

There's some really exciting research currently being done on gut bacteria - not just bifida etc, but the thousands of other types that keep us alive by living in our digestive system. The most groundbreaking treatment for IBS etc at the moment is faecal transplants. Yup, they stick someone elses poo in you! Also they've discovered that our gut bacteria isn't just related to the food we eat and the country we live in, but is consistant with where our ancient ancesters were from.
    Interesting that as we wipe out thousands of strains of friendly gut bacteria, our rates of cancer are going through the roof isn't it? So think twice about taking those antibiotics!
  • nataliea683
    nataliea683 Posts: 64 Member
    Options

QUOTE:

i actually used to work for the Professor who done this research and regularly saw the patients who took part in the trial. it really does work if it is followed correctly and under dr supervision. it did get quite alot of media coverage. we also did the diet show with the hairy bikers its the professor on there who developed the trial.
  • nataliea683
    nataliea683 Posts: 64 Member
    Options

QUOTE:

i actually used to work for the Professor who done this research and regularly saw the patients who took part in the trial. it really does work if it is followed correctly and under dr supervision. it did get quite alot of media coverage. we also did the diet show with the hairy bikers its the professor on there who developed the trial.
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    Thanks, been meaning to find the group behind the research paper. The problem with this approach is that many people feel it is unethical to tell someone to eat only 500 calories but when you are facing a life threatening illness, this is really your only best option. Nobody dies due to diabetes, they die to diabetic complications. Two of the biggest diabetic complications include Atherosclerosis(Heart Attack) and cancer.

There is a member of the intermittent fasting forums who was able to put his Type 2 diabetic condition into remission by using the Intermittent fasting approach. He did alternate day fasting. Instead of eating 500 calories everyday for the rest of his life, he alternated between high and low days.

• djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I think this falls under extreme - for one not everyone is overweight but for those who are and can of course there are benefits. I think if someone were considering weight loss surgery this would be the same thing without surgery - in that case it may be safer... obviously with a doctor overseeing.
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    I think this falls under extreme - for one not everyone is overweight but for those who are and can of course there are benefits. I think if someone were considering weight loss surgery this would be the same thing without surgery - in that case it may be safer... obviously with a doctor overseeing.

The American Medical Association has recommended that a BMI of 30 or, 30 pounds of extra fat is when you should be tested for Diabetes. One third of the American population already hits that number, and one third of the American population is estimated to be insulin resistant. Becoming insulin resistant happens right before you become a Type 2 diabetic and the research shows that insulin resistant can be reversed as the paper specifically mentioned that phase 1 insulin response coming back to life. Oral Glucose Tolerance Test is how one can test for insulin resistance, the study in the paper even uses it to determine if phase 1 insulin response came back to life.
  • stefjc
    stefjc Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    It was all over the telly here for a few weeks, the Michael Mosely programme, books etc also refer to it, and other similar research.

It is out there. As more IF studies are being started they all seem to look at many variations of short bursts of calorie restriction. Journals related to endocrinology have some interesting first findings, mainly animal still but more short term human studies too.

I will be interested to see the results of a possible pan European longitudinal study - whilst that would take decades to complete the interim findings will be interesting.

Anyone with type 2 should be able to ask their GP or diabetic nurse and get some helpful info now.
  • MzPix
    MzPix Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Bump.
    (Need to read the article but don't have time right now.)
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Interesting. Here is a link to the PDF of the original article for those interested: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3168743/pdf/125_2011_Article_2204.pdf

The idea for the study was sparked, apparently, by noticing that patients having bariatric surgery had improved blood sugar levels 1 week after surgery - too soon for any weight loss related improvements were expected. So, they studied the idea that sudden calorie restriction might be at play here.

The diet itself was 8 weeks of liquid Optifast with 3 portions per day of non-starchy vegetables. Total calorie intake was about 600 per day. 4 people could not stay on the diet, leaving the 11 diabetics.

The trial was very small, but they do appear to show that insulin production in response to glucose and protein was at least partially restored in these individuals. Of the 11, 7 passed a glucose tolerance test while 3 did not (one did not get retested) 12 weeks after completion of the 8 week low cal diet. H1Ac levels remained low in all.

Average weight loss in the 8 week diet was 15 kg; average weight regained in the following 12 weeks was 3 kg.

The authors suggest that pancreatic fat might act as a marker for toxic fat break down products. And it is the levels of these, not the fat per se, that might trigger T2D in different individuals.

Hepatic fat content fell rapidly in the first week of the diet and a decrease in glucose secretion from the liver was also observed.

So: in summary. It does seem a promising approach, although compliance to a 600 cal/day diet might be low. Also, the sample size was very small and the follow up not very long, so further work is definitely needed before you could say that this approach should be recommended for everyone.
  • MutterGans
    MutterGans Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    It's really interesting isn't it. Certainly I'll be doing more reading on it. Thanks for link.