Busy teacher and mother trying to find time to exercise

Options
Hi everyone -- Just looking for some advice from people who may be in a similar situation to myself.

I am 29, a teacher and mother of a 2 1/2 year old. I've been off for the summer and (as I usually do) have been able to take much better care of myself in respect to overall health, exercise, nutrition etc. I am working on the c25k and have been successful because I get up every morning and go to the gym before my husband goes to work. I've been doing so well and feeling fantastic and I don't want to fall into my "typical" pattern that I go back to school and get overwhelmed and stressed out and never find time to fit in getting to the gym. I am usually OK with my eating because I am so busy and stick to a pretty good schedule (eat at the same time every day, pack healthy lunches). What I am afraid of is that because for the last three school years I gain back every bit of weight I lose over the summer and I just start looking much less toned because I can't find time to workout. My plan is to leave school as soon as possible (don't get stuck there doing more paperwork/grading/conversations with co-workers.... I can bring stuff home if I need to) and go to the gym. I have a window of time between 2:30-3:30 before I pick up my son from daycare that I could definitely use at least three times per week. I am hopeful this will work out but.... just looking for any tricks people may have that work for them to make sure they fit it in. Generally my lack of motivation in the afternoon comes from being up at 5AM (I need to be at work at 7AM), driving 45 mins to work, teaching high schoolers and then knowing I need to go home, cook dinner, spend some time with family and do it all again....

I am pretty sure if I can fit in the gym right after school it will give me the burst of energy I need to get through the rest of the day. Rather than stopping for that extra iced coffee that I usually do. I know getting there and doing it will be the challenge. Anyone else in a similar spot? Thanks in advance.

Replies

• Me2FitMe
    Me2FitMe Posts: 1,284 Member
    Options
    Videos will work if you do not have time for the gym. That window is very small and driving to a gym cuts your time even more (possibly). If you do make it to the gym that is awesome! Though cutting out the iced coffee alone may help. Just put your best effort and things will workout in the end :)
  • leadiax3
    leadiax3 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I am also a mom and full time educator. I get up early... 3:30 am to be precise. I workout at my 24 hour gym then go home and get ready for work. It gives me time of my own. Its peaceful and therputic to have the gym almost sll to myself! In thr afternoon i always need a nap whether i get up early or not, so i definitely cant exercise then. U owe it to urself to carve out a time to workout. It is important. Be kind to ur body and make it work.
  • meghan_lovely
    meghan_lovely Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I agree and wish I could get up early to go to the gym. I am much more of a morning person.... there is no 24 hr gym close by. The earliest one opens is 5AM and that isn't early enough.
  • Crosbinium
    Crosbinium Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I am also a high school teacher and a caregiver (parent). I get up and do 20 mins on my treadmill at 4:45 am 3 workdays a week. The other days I walk after school. After I clean up my classroom and pack my bags I either make a loop of the walking trail around the school or make 2 laps around the inside of the school. (It helps that it is a big school). I have found it doubles as stress relief.

My other trick is to plan a menu for the week. Every sat am I sit down with the store flyers and make my grocery list and menu for the week. My husband does the shopping so I am less tempted to stray from the plan.
  • Scienceteacher42
    Scienceteacher42 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I am in the same predicament and am planning on riding my bike to school as often as I can - weather permitting - and getting time in on the weekend. I am worried about shorter colder days and just not getting it done as well. Obviously if you have a 45 minute drive, you can't do this.

One thing that used to work for me when I would go to the gym was to have someone that I worked out with. This will keep both of you going. If you can find someone at work who will work out with you, or even someone else, having to meet someone there at a certain time, will help.

Good luck. If you want to friend me and we can try to encourage each other to keep going, we can try that as well, of course as school starts, I will spend less time on this site.

I teach High School Science, and my first day of back to school meetings is today, what about you?
  • joolywooly33
    joolywooly33 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I work full time and have two young boys 2 and 5. I also have to do a drop off at school and then nursery on both journeys adding a bit to my working day.

I don’t go to the gym as I am rarely away from my children, so my time is once they are in bed at night. I am currently doing insanity and I also like my weights. I have just started fitting in jogging in my lunch break a couple of times a week.

It’s not ideal as sometimes I am pretty exhausted by the time it gets round to 'me time'. But as I get stronger and see great results rarely miss a work out now.... actually I’m sure the house work suffers as a result!

So why dont you consider supplementing your gym with other types of exercise that might be easier to fit in as your work shedule picks up? I am out of the house from 8 - 830 am and usually not home until 5pm with two hungry boys, homework, washing to do etc etc... but I dont let it be an excuse!
  • MsAnn07
    MsAnn07 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem! Loose weight in the summer gain it all back during the school year.
    Here is my plan:
    1-Pack the healthy lunches and snacks
    2-On the days I plan to exercise after work I will change at school before heading to the gym. Once I'm in my workout clothes everyone (including myself) will know I mean business and I've got to go at the end of the day.
    This appointment at the gym will be as important as a doctors appointment!!!
    3- Hand weights at my desk to fit in a few arm excises during my lunch period.

Hope this helps..fell free to add me.
    Ms. Ann
  • 13suzie
    13suzie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    My best advice is to use that one hour window (that you have three days a week) for running time. If you can map out a 5 or 6 mile path and run near school or from the daycare, you will maximize the one hour window before getting your child - no commute to gym and running has a pretty high calorie burn in comparison to other exercises. Logging 15 - 18 miles of running a week will make a difference in your weight loss and fitness. I understand how that window can disappear - I teach at a university and often find myself in conversation and then 30 mins later realize the time on my watch. You'll have to be diligent about bolting to a bathroom when you hear the final school bell ring and transform into running clothes!

Sounds like 5 a.m. is your morning limit, but perhaps the other two days a week you can wake up at 4:15 and get 30 minutes of running in your day. I use a "head light" that I bought from Sports Authority (~$15) to light my path. If you can do this, your running is up to 5 days a week. If you can bargain for a weekend day, you are at 6 and you are doing super-duper-burn!

Life can be difficult when it comes to juggling kiddos, work, exercise and the rest of life. My best tip is to be economical with what exercise you choose so as to maximize the output. Running is my answer. If you are not accustomed to running, simply buy excellent shoes that really fit your foot well (at a running shoe store) and ease into the running by going very slowly at first. Before you know it, you will be hooked and accustomed to high mileage and regular runs.

p.s. don't forget to eat an apple every day. There's something to it...I swear by apples - they are made to keep teachers alive!

Good luck!
  • nsagley
    nsagley Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Maybe if you know you're not going to have time to go to the gym, try fitting in a walk during you're free period if you have one.
  • mookybargirl
    mookybargirl Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    You won't like my answer but it really depends on how much you want to maintain what you're doing.

Set your alarm 30 mins earlier, so 4.30, and complete a workout dvd

I live in a small house with little space to do even a jumping jack but I make it work. I know it's hard. After having my now 1 year old, I have to get up over 2 hours before I used to just to find the time to exercise before I need to get my little one up, get him dressed, off to daycare and get myself to work. It's hard, but it's the only way that I know I can fit it in. I know by the time that I come home at night, I'm knackered and just won't find any sort or motivation to exercise. By the time my son's in bed, I want to sit with my hubby, have our dinner and relax for a little while.

...... 30 mins of sleep isn't a lot to lose and you'll easily adjust and you could do it maybe 2 or 3 times a week if you can't face it every day. That has to be better than falling into doing nothing. :flowerforyou:
  • glowgirl14
    glowgirl14 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I don't know what works for you, and I am nowhere near the exercise level of most people here, but when I'm busy...I try to do multiple smaller sessions. Would it work at all to do maybe half in the morning, and half in the afternoons. I don't go to the gym, but I will do laps around my house if I need to in order to meet my (admittedly dismal) fitness goals.

It might not be ideal. But if you don't have the time, you don't have the time. And giving yourself even less sleep is not going to do you any favors.
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    I'm also a teacher. As hard as it is, if that is your block of time, then that is your block of time. Treat it just as you would a doctor's appointment or parent conference or any other important meeting. Put it on your calendar, and learn to say NO to other people. On the days that I go to the gym, I bring my gym clothes to work and change right there; it seems to help keep me from getting sidetracked. If you are planning to run, consider mapping out a route near the school to save you the commute time to the gym. You could also run outside in the morning. I am like you though, morning workouts just don't work for me and I'm far more successful in focusing my energy on staying committed to my afternoon/evening times rather than trying to force it in the morning. If you are going to the gym in the afternoon, be sure to have a plan. Your time window is small, so you want to make the most of what you have.
    There is a lot of pressure on us to cater to everyone else's needs. I found that the only way I could be successful is to make my workout time a priority. You are looking at three hours a week. That is not a lot of time and not at all unreasonable to ask for.
  • Hoppymom
    Hoppymom Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    I am also a teacher, Head Start. I drive about 45 minutes each way everyday, plus I work a full 8 hours. I only used my gym a couple of times last year and put on 30 of the 70 pounds I lost when I was out of work the year before. :( I am trying hard to figure out a schedule that will work for me too. I can't wake up earlier than I already do or it disrupts other people in the house. Plus I am NOT a morning person. I do try to run three laps in the gym with the kids mid-day but that's it until I get home. Then it's; cook supper, do dishes, laundry and cleaning and school prep. Plus my husband and I have a small business and that is when we have to do that stuff. Jim goes to bed at 9 or 9:30...that's when I have to head to the basement and get on the elliptical or Gazelle or use the kettlebells. Unfortunately most nights I am too tired. It's a real problem and my kids are all grown. It's a frustrating problem. Wish I lived closer to work. That would give me at least an extra hour a day to work out.
    One of the things I wish I had done as a young mom is take more time to take care of myself. Becoming obese was a bad example for my kids. Hire a neighbor to come to your house two evenings a week so you can go to the gym. Or have their dad watch them if possible. Your kids will be fine because you will be a better happier mom if you take care of yourself. I thought I always had to be there for them and that I would be a bad mom if I took time to do things like work out. It felt selfish to me. IT's not. Good luck. I wish I could have helped more.
  • meghan_lovely
    Options
    Thank you for your responses and advice! Yes --- I am hoping to just do the best I can and fit in what I can. I know the gym can get monotonous and that is why I am working on my running so hopefully I can run outside near my school right after work when the weather is good. I want to have a few options other than just the gym in the afternoon on weekdays. In the past I have taken some classes on the weekend (zumba usually) We don't start for a couple weeks so I have a little time left to stay on my "good" routine before the craziness hits. I would love to find some people on here to help keep me motivated... I am not always the best about logging my food every day but I am going to try...
  • meghan_lovely
    Options
    Wow!! Thank you so much for all your thoughtful posts. It makes me feel so much better to know that so many of you are in the same boat as me. I totally agree that making this "hour" a priority like an appointment or other meeting is the most important thing I can do. My plan is to bring my workout clothes to school, change and go.... luckily the commute to the gym isn't a problem because I literally drive by it to pick up my son, so I don't have to go out of my way. Once my running improves I am going to transition to outside. Last year I would always get stuck doing something during that time that I could have been exercising. I definitely had the Mommy Guilt for a while.... figuring I am away from him all day.... I should pick him up ASAP. Luckily our babysitter is very flexible about what time I pick him up (when there have been those long days with faculty/department meetings when I don't get out till much later) But I have learned I am a better Mom when I get my exercise in because my head is in the right place and I have more energy to do what I need. Rather than coming home grumpy and more likely to grab snacks that I shouldn't.
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    If you are a high school teacher, you need to exercise just to cope with the stress. My suggestion is to wear a pedometer, and try to get in 12000 steps every day. Be active in every way you can think of, and avoid sitting as much as possible. Stand and use a counter-top to grade papers, or to do classroom preparation. Take walks during lunch hour, and if you are on supervision, move during that time.

Having a treadmill or exercycle at home to use in 20 minute increments would give you more flexibility and more opportunity to exercise. Try doing a family recreational activity once per week, be it bowling, or hiking in the wilds. Make your date night out an active one: go dancing---square dancing is fun and it burns lots of calories.

In a busy life, activity is paramount, if you can't take the time off for a 2 hour session at the gymn.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Running is always quick and can be done anywhere. I live in MN and run year round. If you dress correctly there is no reason you can't run all year. You can run before or after work 2-3 times per week then another type of workout on weekends. Exercise is great but you will lose or maintain based on your diet.
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    I go straight from school to the gym, take everything with me in the morning. I've been doing it for years, it's the only way that works for me.
  • rhall9058
    rhall9058 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    A good majority of the group exercise instructors at our gym are teachers and mothers. If your looking for the motivation to stick with your gym, how about getting paid for going. I believe most of them are spin instructors, but I've seen some of the step instructors as well as the CX instructors. Just a thought though................look into a group exercise certification at your favorite gym.
  • upnorthgirl01
    upnorthgirl01 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    My suggestion would be to bring your running clothes with you in the morning and run right after you are done work....a quick change back to street clothes and a freshen up in the bathroom and you're ready to pick your son up. Maybe when the weather is not so nice a brisk walk up hill if you can find one.