Waking up hungry.

Options
I have been with MFP since January 2013 and have lost 18 lbs. I know it is not a great amount but I am feeling happier and healthier. The only problem is I wake about 3 am hungry and have to eat. If I do not eat I am back up at 430, 530 and then wake at 6 and this leaves me tired. What to do?

Replies

• strongmindstrongbody
    strongmindstrongbody Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    In for suggestions. I recently lowered my calorie intake, just slightly, but the hunger at night is making it hard to stay asleep. I just figured it'd go away as my body gets used to the lower intake. I hope you haven't been hungry at night since January, lol. Have you? :frown:
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I checked your diary, and you haven't been logging foods, so it's hard to offer suggestions without that information. The first thing that comes to mind is that your calorie goal may be too low, but if you aren't logging food and doing it accurately, no way to get a better idea of what's going on.

ETA: I looked back further in your diary, and the days I see recorded you are definitely not eating enough. Your NET calories should match your goal, as a weight-loss deficit is already built into that amount. Falling far short of your goal on a regular basis actual hinders your progress. Try eating ALL the calories MFP gives you each day for a few weeks. You'll feel better and your weight loss will still continue.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Plan you calories during the day to leave you with room for a high protein snack just before bed. If you are waking up with legitimate hunger in the night then you aren't eating enough and the right times in the day. Also, keep a large glass of water beside your bed and take a big drink if you wake up.
  • rosiecbolton
    rosiecbolton Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Plan you calories during the day to leave you with room for a high protein snack just before bed. If you are waking up with legitimate hunger in the night then you aren't eating enough and the right times in the day. Also, keep a large glass of water beside your bed and take a big drink if you wake up.

I eat a lot in evenings but it is the bad stuff eg crisps. What is a high protein food you would recommend (I am vegetarian)?
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I'm not and have never considered being vegetarian so I'll have to leave that to someone else. My go to's would be be full fat yogurt, cheese, eggs or lean meats. If you aren't including protein sources in your diet that could be the reason you are hungry and binge on junk foods.
  • WhiteGirlWasted13
    WhiteGirlWasted13 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Found a link that lists several good protein sources. I'd also like to caution you to NOT be afraid of healthy fats. Our bodies need them to function. Ok, having said that, here is the aforementioned link: http://www.care2.com/greenliving/vegetarian-protein-sources.html
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    High protein vegetarian snacks:

Quest protein bars
    Greek yogurt
    Raw nuts/seeds
    Eggs
    Mozzarella and tomato slice broiled on a piece of toast (bonus if the bread has good protein in it, too)
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Couple of thoughts:
    -keep a glass of water and sip it if you wake up
    -get used to feeling hungry and it won't bother you after a while
    -an active stomach at night can lead to acid reflux so you're best off being hungry or not eating an hour or two before bed
    -you won't die if you don't go without food for several hours - I'm not being facetious but I used to eat all the time and hate going to bed hungry; then I discovered Intermittent Fasting and now hunger doesn't bother me. As long as I know I've had my planned cals for the day I will be fine.
  • jaymek92
    jaymek92 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    being veggie is not an excuse to not get enough protein. unless you have other dietary restrictions, there are tons of protein sources.
    dairy has a decent amount of protein, so try milk, yogurts (greek especially has more protein than normal yogurt), cheese.
    eggs and nuts have protein and fats, so they're pretty filling. beans, soy products, and meat substitutes are also good sources of protein. so instead of having "bad stuff" in the evening, have a veggie burger with some yogurt or a glass of milk and maybe try a protein drink mix before bed.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Try to eat something higher in protein and fats before bed. I used to have the same problem if I didn't.

Try apple slices or celery sticks with peanut butter or almond butter. Cheese and crackers. A slice of toast with avocado on it.. or a nut butter. I normally do half a slice wit some peanut butter. You could have a protein bar if you have the calories for it... or half a protein bar. Nuts or seeds are great. Greek yogurt as well... add in some fruit and you're set. Try not to eat so much of the bad stuff to save some room for better things that should keep you from waking up hungry. I find if I eat a lot of junk in the evening I wake up hungry. I usually allow myself one treat after dinner than save some calories for a snack before bed. In the evening I fill up on water and herbal tea.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    My favorite night time snack before bed if I am hungry is some kind of nut butter (sunflower is my current fav) and an apple. You may not be eating enough to support your metabolism so, if you are not eating TDEE minus 20%, please at least calculate your TDEE and BMR to see where you stand as far as your caloric intake goes.

I am 45 and am weighing in at 110 lbs and people at restaurants have commented about my size and how much I eat. I support my metabolism by eating enough, before I found MFP and learned about all of this, I was mad and hungry all the time. Now I am happy and healthy, eating enough is my friend. :)
  • teamnevergoingback
    teamnevergoingback Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Bump! Awesome info, I wake up in the morning STARVING, but will definitely try these suggestions!