What's the Hang Up?

Options
For the past year and a half I have been watching what I eat and lifting heavy. I have done New Rules of Lifting for Women, New Rules of Lifting, Impact Body Plan, Stronglifts and just started New Rules of Lifting Supercharged. I lift 3 days a week and have started incorporating in an hour long session of cardio 1/2x a week.

STILL I have stubborn fat in the belly and especially the thighs -hello saddlebags! I am at a loss as to what to do or change to get rid of this stubborn fat.

I have found it doesn't seem to matter if I log and track my food intake or not...my weight and body seems to stay the same.

I started logging again this week to make myself more accountable but have felt shaky and light headed so I am assuming I am not eating enough. (food diary open)

Questions -
-Since I am feeling shaky and lightheaded this week am I not eating enough to fuel my workouts?
-How oh How can I get rid of this fat that just won't go away!

-Stats
5 ft 6 in
weigh 130 pounds
38 years old
burn between 500-600 calories per workout

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I lost BF% by running. It was the only thing that leaned me out. It was great to lift and have muscle but it still didn't take away that extra BF I was looking to lose.
  • tlhorsley
    tlhorsley Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I actually gained weight back when I was running. I have incorporated running intervals as part of my cardio but not steady pace running.
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    I checked out your food diary, and your nutrition looks pretty tight except for "homemade crispy chicken wrap" (what is that?).

At 5'6" and 130 lbs, I am not sure how much weight you have to lose......but I'd make the following suggestions: 1) instead of one hour of constant cardio, opt for HIIT (high intensity interval training), 2) make sure you are weighing/measuring your food to the "T", and 3) Measure yourself (BF%, chest, waist, hips, etc.).

Finally, I feel your pain about the thigh fat. Unfortunately, since we cannot spot reduce our problem areas seem to be the last to go. Sigh. At just over 15% body fat, I still have "junk in the trunk".
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    From a glance at your diary, I would say that you are right about not eating enough to fuel your workouts. This is assuming that you are using the standard MFP settings, where the deficit is built in to your goal.

Do you use a HRM for your cardio? That can help with calorie counts, as long as it's "steady-state" (i.e. stationary bike for 30 minutes at a pretty constant speed). That may make it easier to eat more without worrying that you are going to overestimate exercise.
  • chefwrx
    chefwrx Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I have a few suggestions:
    1. Don't eat back calories
    2. Shift your protein macro target up to either 1g/lb. of bodyweight (130grams) or 30-40% of your intake.
    3. Set your TDEE somewhere near 1700 calories.
  • mtbke5
    mtbke5 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    What helped me (and everyone is different) is increasing my fat and protein intake and decreasing my carbs. I also cut out most gluten and alcohol.

I have my carbs set at 30% protein 40% and fat at 30%

Coconut oil and avocados are great sources of good fats.
  • tlhorsley
    tlhorsley Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I really don't need to lose weight I just need to get rid of some fat.

My cardio's are almost always intervals on the treadmill and the stairmaster. No steady pace for me -I get bored way too easily.

And the crispy chicken wrap is a clean whole wheat tortilla with a little cheese, a little sour cream, chicken breast and brown rice cooked on a griddle with some olive oil spray :)
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    I really don't need to lose weight I just need to get rid of some fat.

My cardio's are almost always intervals on the treadmill and the stairmaster. No steady pace for me -I get bored way too easily.

And the crispy chicken wrap is a clean whole wheat tortilla with a little cheese, a little sour cream, chicken breast and brown rice cooked on a griddle with some olive oil spray :)

Thanks for elaborating. I would definitely suggest that you measure key areas of your body (I don't see ANY difference in my hips/thighs, but the tape measure tells me differently) and find somewhere that performs Dexa Scans/BodPod/Hydrostatic weighing and get your body fat measured. Eat LOTS of protein (1-1.5g/pound of lean body mass). Keep lifting weights. Be patient, grasshopper. :smile: