Bacon and eggs get a bad rap

Options
Two whole eggs and two strips of bacon is only about 220 calories. I had that this morning along with a scoop of protein powder and a whole frozen banana blended in skim milk (love my Vitamix blender!), and the whole thing came out to just over 500 calories for breakfast.

Why do bacon and eggs get such a bad reputation? It's really not very high in calories at all.

Oh yeah, and it's ridiculously tasty.

Replies

• Faery_Dust
    Faery_Dust Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Who gives it a bad rap? Bacon and eggs is quite popular on here I think.
  • IamUndrCnstruction
    IamUndrCnstruction Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    In for the bacon!
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    What I don't understand is what's so great about turkey bacon? It tastes meh, and for a few measly extra calories I can have center-cut, delicious pork bacon.
  • carrietehbear
    carrietehbear Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    That reminds me... I need to put bacon on my grocery list!
  • nadz6012
    nadz6012 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I think people object over the amount of cholesterol. I wish people would see that dietary fat does not necessarily =high blood triglycerides...
  • justwanderful
    justwanderful Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    What I don't understand is what's so great about turkey bacon? It tastes meh, and for a few measly extra calories I can have center-cut, delicious pork bacon.

Don't be confused. Turkey bacon is not bacon.
  • beekay70
    beekay70 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I think that this goes back to the low fat movement in the 80s (which has been turned on its head) and the once-touted connection between cholesterol in foods with cholesterol levels in humans (which has been mostly debunked).
  • Crazy4Healthy
    Crazy4Healthy Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Love me some bacon and eggs. Making egg sandwiches with bacon is one of my favorite post-workout dinners. YUMMY!!
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    i love me some bacon (the eggs are pretty good too!)
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I have (turkey) bacon and eggs every morning. Every single morning. Four eggs, and four-five slices of (turkey) bacon every morning. With melted cheddar cheese on said eggs. For 580 calories.

580 of pure delicious calories, I might add. 44 grams of protein doesn't hurt either.
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options

Don't be confused. Turkey bacon is not bacon.

We should start calling it "smoked turkey strips."

That said, I had an egg sandwich with smoked turkey strips this morning (was out of regular bacon) and it was OK.
  • ebgbjo
    ebgbjo Posts: 821 Member
    Options

I LOVE turkey bacon! I also love pig bacon, but turkey bacon is my main go to these days.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    The bacon I fry up is 100 cals + a slice depending on how thick I cut it
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Why do bacon and eggs get such a bad reputation? It's really not very high in calories at all.

Some people look at more than just calories.
  • yankeedownsouth
    yankeedownsouth Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I have bacon and eggs almost every morning. It's easy to make at work and super yummy!
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Did someone say BACON??????

bacon-1024x754_zps85120231.jpg
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Nom nom nom nom nom...

bacon-egg-spinach-tart.gif

bacon-egg-muffin-cups.jpg
  • FerretBuellerr
    FerretBuellerr Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I don't get it either. Especially the whole "are eggs actually good for you?" debate. I just choose to ignore it.

I eat one or two eggs every day, and I don't think I could ever give up bacon. It's just...nature's candy :tongue:
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Buttered eggs and bacon can get you some nice calories. Don't assume you're getting a low cal meal with those ingredients if you go out to eat.

Some people have been told by doctors to reduce cholesterol intake. Eggs are high cholesterol. I think that's about it for eggs.
    There was the great fat scare of the 80-90s that gave bacon a bad rap.

I think bacon gives eggs a great taste, and it's a really easy combination to make.