How do you log complex meals (buffets, parties, bbq)?

Options
Hey all, could use some advice. I have no problem logging food in when I cheat, I want to be accountable. But how have you logged in ultra complex meals.

Case in point I'm going to a party tonight that will have tons of small portions (appetizers) of different things. I plan on trying them. Same thing goes for BBQ's. Do I just leave it off MFP and chalk it up for an over-calorie day or what would your advice be? No way I'll be accurate either route.

Thanks!

Replies

• DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    There's a Chinese all you can eat near me that I go to reasonably frequently, I usually guess what I have but bear in mind that that day is probably going to be over calories. One day off every once in a while isn't going to hurt. I log it in case I suddenly want to know what I had that day for any reason, but other than that I don't think there's all that much point in logging it if you know it's going to be particularly inaccurate. If you're worried about extra calories go to the gym earlier in the day.
  • FerretBuellerr
    FerretBuellerr Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Write it down in a small notebook if possible, then you can at least make a guess of how much you've eaten when you enter it later. I find even if it's a rough estimate, and I think I'm going over, it's still good to track so I can get an idea of what I've consumed that day for similar events in the future
  • Jaimie6171
    Jaimie6171 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I typically do a rough estimate. I know it won't dead on but I like to have an idea. I have also gone the route of just having a free day to enjoy what I want, but then I usually end up feeling pretty guilty.
  • glin23
    glin23 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I also roughly estimate or just take it as a cheat meal or whatever. Generally for those types of things, I'd start at 1200 calories.
  • daniellemm1
    daniellemm1 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I always have my phone with me so I pull it out and best guestimate how much of each item I have on my plate and log it. I like to track everything to refer back to later and to remind me why the scale isn't moving or I feel blah, etc. I know that I will go over and I know my guesses won't be 100% correct but I try to keep track for accountabilities sake. I certainly don't stress over it but I may throw in an extra workout just to make myself feel better about the over indulging :)

Enjoy your parties!!!
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Estimate. Use a restaurant menu calorie count like this one:

http://www.cheesecakefactorynutrition.com/restaurant-nutrition-chart.php?

and find entries that are similar. I like that one because they have a huge variety and most of it is made without much regard to healthy eating, so yo aren't likely to underestimate.
  • 1longroad
    1longroad Posts: 642 Member
    Options

and find entries that are similar. I like that one because they have a huge variety and most of it is made without much regard to healthy eating, so yo aren't likely to underestimate.

Wow! The calories in the appetizers alone scares me!!! lol
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Case in point I'm going to a party tonight that will have tons of small portions (appetizers) of different things. I plan on trying them. Same thing goes for BBQ's. Do I just leave it off MFP and chalk it up for an over-calorie day
    This is what I do
    No way I'll be accurate either route.
    And this is why.
  • mandeenicoleb
    mandeenicoleb Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I try to find something similar. I log in portion size by eye-balling it. It's not terribly accurate, but better than not logging. After months of measuring food, you'll find that you can come pretty close by just guessing when you look. Sometimes I break it all down (if I have time). For instance a burger I would log each thing individually, including any sauce. If you have ribs and notice it has tons of bbq sauce (slathered), log the ribs and maybe some extra sauce on the side.

Even if it's not accurate, I like having a record of what I ate, even on cheat days. It's nice to go back and look if you need to. I.E. I can look back and see what did and did not work for me if I have to re-analyze my caloric intake in the future. I try to be as honest as possible. I was over all week, but it's all there :D
  • TammTammS
    TammTammS Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    i take pictures of what i eat so i can remember and my phone is always near.....The app sucks for me, so i log it when i get home
  • sirenical
    sirenical Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I take photos of my plates with my phone to check later, if that isn't possible, there is a "potluck plate" listed in the foods. I use that and over estimate to get the calories into the tracker.
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options

Wow! The calories in the appetizers alone scares me!!! lol
    Yep. Skimming that before you go to a buffet or party puts things in perspective. Keep in mind that appetizers are multiple servings - that chart can be confusing. All the way down it says "1 each" and it means one menu item. If it says in the description that it is 2-4 servings, then you divide the calories. Still, you will be lucky to stay under 1500 if you fill up on food like that.
  • judyde
    judyde Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I take photos of my plates with my phone to check later, if that isn't possible, there is a "potluck plate" listed in the foods. I use that and over estimate to get the calories into the tracker.

This is a great idea to help remember what you ate without having to write each item.
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I also take pictures of my plate, and if it's a potluck and appropriate I ask about the ingredients. Example, "I love this fruit salad! What kind of apples did you put in there? I can never find an apple that isn't too sweet or too sour...."

I also generally stick with 4-5 items instead of sampling everything there. Just easier to simplify.
  • Juniper3411
    Juniper3411 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I have often wondered about this as well! I just had a potluck at my house last night and trying to break it all down was veeerrry difficult. But yes, I'll just assume that it was an over day, logged what I could, I'm sure that I forgot a few things but it does help to have some idea of what I ate.

It's so much easier when you cook it or it's a restaurant that is included in MFP!
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I go to a Chinese buffet every once in a while but I've found that I tend to get the same things when I go there. So I did log everything once, then saved it as My Meal. Sometimes there are variations, but I figure not enough to where it's going to change the calories too much.

Other than that - I think I'd take an exaggerated guess and put it in as Quick Add Calories.
  • cqp1
    cqp1 Posts: 41
    Options
    If its a well know buffet MFP has some calories already inputted, otherwise I try to find something close. It's not the most accurate and of course I already know that I'm going to be way over my goal for the day. I have to log it though because when I look at a report of the last week, month, etc. I want to know I was over that day not have it look like I was under.
  • dj0jazzy
    dj0jazzy Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I log each item separately and guess portion size
  • seabee78
    seabee78 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Whenever I'm at a buffet or potluck dinner, I try to keep my portions in terms of 1/4 cup, 1/2 cup, 1/3 cup, etc.
    That way when I log it, they are already in measurement units and if I'm lucky, the entry in MFP is already in cup units. Else I then have to convert grams or ml to cups.
  • Kettle_Belle14
    Kettle_Belle14 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I usually just use the "Add quick calories" function and put something crazy in there like 25,000 calories. :laugh: