How to not gain fat?

Options
Hey guys,

So, I have a food problem but I'm working my way to get better. I want to build muscle and I know I need to put on some weight. I've upped my calories a lot (though still not enough) and I workout 4 times a week (3x weight lifting and one kickboxing. I do 10 minutes of interval training before the weightlifting too).

I know I need to gain some weight but I'm still a little hesitant to up my calorie intake at the risk of gaining fat. I have a decent amount of fat (I don't know my bodyfat% but I'd estimate around 20% at a guess) so I don't want anymore!

I've had lots of tips from various sources but I don't know how accurate my tdee is and I just don't want to gain fat then freak out and start restricting again. Any and all advice is appreciated :)

Ps I'm around 7 stone and just short of 5'3 and I'm 22

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I have no experience with bulking, but this post seems like it might help:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/muscle-gain-mistakes.html
  • hyenagirl
    hyenagirl Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Bulking is a long, slow process. Women don't put on muscle like men do. Bulking can take a good 8-9 months. You are correct that you need to eat more. At your current weight, you can't gain muscle on a caloric deficit. You will gain a little fat too if you eat slightly over TDEE, but you already know how to lose the fat if you've lost 26 lbs for when you "cut". Just keep and eye in the mirror. If you put on too much fat, cut back.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    How long have you been lifting for?
  • doggiesnot
    doggiesnot Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    @auddii, thanks for the link!
  • AnsiStar
    AnsiStar Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Any suggestions with macros at all? I've just started reintroducing more carbs, but keep most of them for post workout. I try and get as much protein from food sources but I do use protein powders to help up my calorie intake. And my fat intake is usually from oil and nuts and peanut butter. Can anyone look at my diary and advise? Like I say, I'm not sure how accurate my TDEE is
  • TheBitSlinger
    TheBitSlinger Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Good quality and plentiful protein are necessary for bulking. Otherwise, your body will tear down existing cells to build new ones, and that's a bad situation. Plus, the more muscle you add to your body, the more calories your body will burn. It's like making the engine in a car bigger; the bigger the engine, the more fuel it will use, even when idling.
  • AnsiStar
    Options

Properly since about October? Then I joined a new gym in Feb and got a program made up but I was at a HUGE deficit and doing lots of cardio. Got a new program in April with less cardio and more lifting. And just gotten another new program which has a circuit and just that 10 min warm up. Then the Kickboxing for aroun 2 hours a week
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Any suggestions with macros at all? I've just started reintroducing more carbs, but keep most of them for post workout. I try and get as much protein from food sources but I do use protein powders to help up my calorie intake. And my fat intake is usually from oil and nuts and peanut butter. Can anyone look at my diary and advise? Like I say, I'm not sure how accurate my TDEE is

I would try for 1g of protein per lb of body weight (a bit higher than sometimes recommended as you are lean and in does not hurt to have a bit extra as insurance) and about about 0.35 - 0.4g fats per lb bodyweight. The rest should be carbs.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Properly since about October? Then I joined a new gym in Feb and got a program made up but I was at a HUGE deficit and doing lots of cardio. Got a new program in April with less cardio and more lifting. And just gotten another new program which has a circuit and just that 10 min warm up. Then the Kickboxing for aroun 2 hours a week

What actual routine are you doing? Are you doing circuits? What rep range are you using? Does your program include progressive loading?

[sorry for the plethora of questions, but a bulk will not be effective unless you have a decent lifting routine]
  • AnsiStar
    Options

What actual routine are you doing? Are you doing circuits? What rep range are you using? Does your program include progressive loading?

[sorry for the plethora of questions, but a bulk will not be effective unless you have a decent lifting routine]

Don't apologise :) I asked for help, but my program is at home and I'm work atm, I can update in about an hour. I can tell you it's day one - chest and back [3 rounds, 2 exercises, 6 reps of 3 different sets...if that makes sense??], day two - legs [3 rounds, 5 exercises, 8 reps], day three - shoulders [same as day 2]
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Don't apologise :) I asked for help, but my program is at home and I'm work atm, I can update in about an hour. I can tell you it's day one - chest and back [3 rounds, 2 exercises, 6 reps of 3 different sets...if that makes sense??], day two - legs [3 rounds, 5 exercises, 8 reps], day three - shoulders [same as day 2]

If you can update when you get a chance - the volume looks low to be effective to bulk with. Are you focusing on gain muscle in your lower half v upper body?
  • AnsiStar
    Options

If you can update when you get a chance - the volume looks low to be effective to bulk with. Are you focusing on gain muscle in your lower half v upper body?

I want an all round lean look. I don't want to be muscles galore or anything but nicely defined. I'll update when I get home :) thanks a lot
  • Brad805
    Brad805 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Aim for a gain around 0.5lb/wk or a little less. A portion of the gain will be fat. That is unavoidable, but trying to gain muscle mass without adding fat at some point is painfully slow. A program like Lyle's (re-composition author) UD2 is efficient at adding mass without adding much fat, but it is not a great deal of fun and takes a level of dedication that might be a bit shocking. There are several women logging their progress with UD2 in his forum. What do you estimate your BF level to be?
  • AnsiStar
    Options
    Aim for a gain around 0.5lb/wk or a little less. A portion of the gain will be fat. That is unavoidable, but trying to gain muscle mass without adding fat at some point is painfully slow. A program like Lyle's (re-composition author) UD2 is efficient at adding mass without adding much fat, but it is not a great deal of fun and takes a level of dedication that might be a bit shocking. There are several women logging their progress with UD2 in his forum. What do you estimate your BF level to be?

I think perhaps anything with TOO much restriction would be unhealthy for me given I'm still trying to recover. I couldn't tell you for sure as my results always come out bizarre and different but I would guess it's around 20%? I have no idea if that's right or not though
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    If you are at 20% body fat, then you are in an okay range to do a short bulk. As others have stated, you will gain some fat in the process while upping to a surplus of calories. First, you need to establish what your maintenance level of calories are relative to degree of activity. Once you know how much you need to maintain, then you can add a reasonably small surplus as recommended by Lyle. You'll end the bulk once your body fat percentage reaches the upper limit that you set and initiate a cut to reduce mass while trying to keep as much of the lean gains as possible. So don't worry about it.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

I want an all round lean look. I don't want to be muscles galore or anything but nicely defined. I'll update when I get home :) thanks a lot
    If you are eating in a deficit right now then "muscles galore" will not be an issue for you. I am sure Sarah was going to recommend this, but you would probably benefit from a program that includes compound lifts - deadlifts, squats, over head press, pull ups/chin ups, rows ,etc...If you do not know these moves then you should learn them and incorporate them into a routine where you are hitting back, legs, shoulders, arms...If I am wrong the I am sure Sarah will correct me :)

If you want to gain then you should slowly increase calories (example increase from 1500 to 1600 for a week, and then 1600 to 1700 a week, and so on) until you find your maintenance level, once you find that you can add another 50 or 100 calories per day and then stay at that level...
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    When bulking, the mirror can sometime scare you. You will end up holding more water which can make you look and feel bloated and make it look like you're gaining more fat than you really are.
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I started out about three pounds underweight and went really slow. I took about 1.5 years to put on 8 pounds, with first crossfit then lifting (5/3/1 specifically if you've heard of that). MFP had me at about 1700 calories for maintenance, and I was netting about 1970 calories a day on average while I was "bulking". Like I said, I went really slow with it (and my strength gains likely suffered for it), but my BF%, according to 7pt caliper measurements, stayed about the same (within a narrow 2% range) the entire time, so like everyone has said, you will put on some fat, that's inevitable, but you can put it on in proportion to the muscle you're adding. This will likely limit strength gains, though, as opposed to an all out bulk.

Personally, I don't think I have the dedication to do strict bulk and cut cycles. I'm used to eating what I want when I want, and I think the cuts would make me angry, so that's why I went this route. But I will say I've never had food issues, either over or under eating, so this approach may not be for everyone.
  • mdizzle99
    mdizzle99 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Some good advice here. Based on your comments, I think one of the first things to figure out is your tdee. There are estimating calculators everywhere, but the most accurate way is to count your calories and figure out how many keep you at maintenance for a few weeks. This will give you a baseline to start adding or taking away calories from. That, and a solid lifting program, will slowly but surely get you in the right direction.
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    Not gain fat when bulking? impossible unless godlike genetics.... You can however gain minimal amounts when bulking, something I try practice.. You just need to eat about 200-400 over your caloric daily requirement :) Your body can ONLY gain __ amount of muscle over a period of time, so eating anything more will only lead to more fat gain, not more muscle gain :)

Take it slow :)