Ladies who lift: Side bends?

Options

Replies

• Amyp7777
    Amyp7777 Posts: 79
    Options
    Lots of great ideas here. I'm dealing with a broken foot at the moment, but once I'm free and clear to do more I'll incorporate more plank moves. I will also look up iron crosses. And now, I have "Baby Got Back" stuck in the brainpod.
  • DashDeV
    DashDeV Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    I chuckle when I see people do these with a dumbbell in each hand. Physics. One acts as a counter weight for the other and you aren't really lifting anything at all, other than the benefit you get from simply holding them.

No offense if you are doing it this way, but please take a moment to consider.

I do them with a 25 lb disc weight. I lift the weight up to my chest on the opposite side I am leaning each time. It works your shoulder muscles.

ETA: I have noticed a difference in abs since starting them.

I've done them but cut them out because I found other exercises that I found more effective. I think planks (regular or side) are more effective if you're aim is the abdominal area. If you are looking at shoulders, I'd say push ups, shoulder presses or raises (lateral, front, scaptions).

There is an exercise I came across on bodybuilding.com called Iron Crosses that work both shoulders and hamstrings. Kicks my butt! hahaha.

I like them because they're easy :P I do them every night. I also do planks.

I hate push ups, I think this has something to do with my 11th grade basketball coach. I will look up Iron Crosses. :)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    If they are easy- you are doing them wrong.

And you shouldn't be doing ab work every day... really.. it's like any other muscle. you shouldn't do it EVERY day.

Are you doing as much back work as ab work??
  • DashDeV
    Options

And you shouldn't be doing ab work every day... really.. it's like any other muscle. you shouldn't do it EVERY day.

Are you talking to me or OP? (I said they were easy so assuming you're talking to me)

Have you ever done side bends? They are easy. Well, easy in comparison to other ab workouts such as planks or hanging knee lifts. I do them every day without weights, in the bathroom stalls, before I go to bed, when I get out of the tub, etc.

I do them with the 25lb disc weights 2 - 3 times a week.

I'll assume you were asking OP about the back work..
  • Amyp7777
    Amyp7777 Posts: 79
    Options

Yes, that was DashDev. They are not all that easy for me yet. I assume they will be at some point, and hopefully I have some heavier weights by then. I have been doing body-weight back work given to me by my doctor for an old injury, but quite honestly I probably need to learn more about weighted back exercises. I do deadlifts, but don't have the equipment for extensions.
  • JoRocka
    Options

Are you talking to me or OP? (I said they were easy so assuming you're talking to me)

Have you ever done side bends? They are easy. Well, easy in comparison to other ab workouts such as planks or hanging knee lifts. I do them every day without weights, in the bathroom stalls, before I go to bed, when I get out of the tub, etc.

nope- I was addressing you :) I assumed b/c it was immediately following it would be clear- should have quoted you. Sorry.

I don't know why you would want to them if they were easy. I have done them- I don't do them currently (unless as noted above in Triangle Pose). I don't do anything that's easy when I work out. If it's easy- it's not heavy enough- or the variation isn't hard enough- so me personally I don't do anything I would label as "easy"... make the weight harder or do a different variation (triangle pose is a start) or just do a different exercise.

Why are you doing them so often and if they are easy why continue to do them?? (not being snarky I'm truly asking you)

The point is to progressively get harder/stronger/ more balanced more whatever by challenging yourself right?

There are few things I drill constantly- but they are dance moves- not strengthening things- so I don't believe in doing squats every day or 30 day XX challenge- or 100 day (insert whatever challenge) I just don't see the gain from it other then potential injury from over use. I believe in getting stronger- not just doing more.

But yes- if you are doing THAT much ab work- you most certainly should be doing that much back work.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

nope- I was addressing you :) I assumed b/c it was immediately following it would be clear- should have quoted you. Sorry.

I don't know why you would want to them if they were easy. I have done them- I don't do them currently (unless as noted above in Triangle Pose). I don't do anything that's easy when I work out. If it's easy- it's not heavy enough- or the variation isn't hard enough- so me personally I don't do anything I would label as "easy"... make the weight harder or do a different variation (triangle pose is a start) or just do a different exercise.

Why are you doing them so often and if they are easy why continue to do them?? (not being snarky I'm truly asking you)

The point is to progressively get harder/stronger/ more balanced more whatever by challenging yourself right?

There are few things I drill constantly- but they are dance moves- not strengthening things- so I don't believe in doing squats every day or 30 day XX challenge- or 100 day (insert whatever challenge) I just don't see the gain from it other then potential injury from over use. I believe in getting stronger- not just doing more.

But yes- if you are doing THAT much ab work- you most certainly should be doing that much back work.

You are assuming Dev's workouts aren't hard. I do a lot of exercises that I push hard as hell on, but I'm not above throwing in an easy exercise or two in the week to do some light work with.

And if you do supersets, it can be okay to include an "easier" exercise that keeps you moving but isn't going to fatigue you like hell when you hit the main.

For instance, sometimes I'd do chest press and regular push up supersets. I'd hit hard on the chest press, but go easy on the push ups (rep wise).
  • JoRocka
    Options
    I understand having an "easier" exercise to super set- but my impression wasn't that was the case. Although- even if I"m super setting- I still don't want it to be easy- I want it to be "easier" (like I super set Squats/Mountain Climbers- MC are obviously EASIER than heavy squats- but 50 MC's still isn't 'easy'

And I didn't assume she wasn't working hard... I read what she wrote.

"they are easy"

shrug- if there was another way to interpret that maybe I am not clear on the definition of "easy".

:) I'm not opposed to doing them- but I am missing the core concept of doing something if they are easy so I do lots of them (not attacking- just simply stating I don't understand)
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I understand having an "easier" exercise to super set- but my impression wasn't that was the case. Although- even if I"m super setting- I still don't want it to be easy- I want it to be "easier" (like I super set Squats/Mountain Climbers- MC are obviously EASIER than heavy squats- but 50 MC's still isn't 'easy'

And I didn't assume she wasn't working hard... I read what she wrote.

"they are easy"

shrug- if there was another way to interpret that maybe I am not clear on the definition of "easy".

:) I'm not opposed to doing them- but I am missing the core concept of doing something if they are easy so I do lots of them (not attacking- just simply stating I don't understand)

I like taking brisk, "easy" walks with my dog. Should I stop doing that and run every time just because I don't want it to be easy?

Also, you might want to ask for clarification on "easy". She could very well be saying that the exercise is easy to do/incorporate (in other words, doesn't require too much set up or the form is hard to master). This doesn't mean that it is actually light/easy for her to do overall.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    That's your decision. I'm not saying she can't.

and walking your dog is different than a specific exercise I would think. I'm really actually not trying to be a *kitten* about this. I"m just curious as to why someone would incorporate a specific exercise and then say "they are easy"

you are right- they are easy to do... they are easy to set up- they are uncomplicated (in theory)... but she didn't say that- so I don't know.

Hence why I was asking.
  • DeeBrownBaker
    Options
    I'd like to add that working your lats (back) and shoulders can help you create more of a waist and an hourglass shape.

This is on point!! I am still 80 lbs from my goal weight but I have been doing lat work... and its whittled my waist... I used to be a circle... now I have that hourglass shape!
  • Sonj1973
    Sonj1973 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I've been doing them for just over a week, only small weights but can already see a difference in a few days....Will defo be continuing and will probably increase the weights when I can get some heavier weights :)....I also do the twists as well with the weights. :)
  • Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    What's the best posture to do them?

Any benefit to doing them while in a quarter squat?

I'm all about incorporating as many compound movements as I can.

Thanks!
  • leadiax3
    leadiax3 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I do themon an incline with 10 lb plate. 40 reps on each side and then repeat. I vary the 40 by changing the position im holding the plate and by lifting one leg up as i bend my side up. It hurts when u first start, but i think i have good results.
  • ChrisLindsay9
    ChrisLindsay9 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I have also heard people say "don't do them or you will get bigger in your waist" and for me it can't be further from the truth. i used to avoid them or never did them, it wasn't until i started to do the side bends of the standing bench with a 10 lb plate that i saw my obliques for the first time. i love them!
    I may have said this in the past (or something along these lines), but I generally try to elaborate so that I'm not misconstrued as saying "don't do an exercise."

I wouldn't tell people not to do them if their goals are to build strength, lean muscle. But if someone's looking for an aesthetic goal of a small waist, then I am pretty sure that if he or she continues to increase the weight in side bends, then it will make the muscle bigger.

So if a person gets to a waist size that he or she likes aesthetically, then he or she may want to consider keeping the weight and reps the same so as not to increase the muscle size. This doesn't happen overnight, obviously. So it's conceivable to keep that exercise in your routine but modify it so that it suits your desired outcome.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    What's the best posture to do them?

Any benefit to doing them while in a quarter squat?

I'm all about incorporating as many compound movements as I can.

Thanks!

hips under/tail bone tucked (so don't arch your back)

you can definitely do them in a plie/squat stance.

I wouldn't call this a compound movement at all- but there are ways to make it more challenging- adding a squat- or going heavier- or throwing the other arm up in the air with a same same weight.
  • DashDeV
    Options

and walking your dog is different than a specific exercise I would think. I'm really actually not trying to be a *kitten* about this. I"m just curious as to why someone would incorporate a specific exercise and then say "they are easy"

you are right- they are easy to do... they are easy to set up- they are uncomplicated (in theory)... but she didn't say that- so I don't know.

Hence why I was asking.

lol too funny how that one phrase has set you off on a speal of several paragraphs. I didn't make this post, I wasn't asking for help, and if I did need some advice I have several very knowledgeable friends on here.

My reason for doing them is because they are easy and why not? Why do you have such a problem with that?
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I do side bends...and I lift more than you.

ETA: sigh...it doesn't matter. just lift.
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options

Hence why I was asking.

lol too funny how that one phrase has set you off on a speal of several paragraphs. I didn't make this post, I wasn't asking for help, and if did need some advice I have several very knowledgeable friends on here.

My reason for doing them is because they are easy and why not? Why do you have such a problem with that?

I'm pretty sure DashDeV is saying that "easy" means "simple," not "puts no strain on me."
  • JamieM8168
    JamieM8168 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I do side bends too even though they're easy. Not everything has to be difficult to be effective.