Eating MORE to weigh less success stories...pls.

Options
I'm going to humble myself for the next 90 days and eat more ( A LOT more than I'm accustomed to:blushing: ). I'm doing this program (5:2 fasting--I'm doing this for Spiritual reasons FIRST priority and weight loss secondly) and when I calculated how much I should be eating...it says on my non-fast days (Everyday EXCEPT Mondays and Thursdays) I should be eating 2122 per day cals:noway: that sounds like a HUGE amount of food to consume on a daily (five days per week basis)--HUGE. Eating this much food sounds terrific, but I have to humble myself to do this, because it doesn't sound natural to/for me--that's why I don't do it...but will starting---TODAY:noway:

All I know is, I've been consistently eating and drinking super healthy stuff--I LOVE eating low cal and high quality foods and drinks , usually staying at my daily 1375 cals mark and actually less, usually 1250 per day (eating some of my exercise cals back) and I'm just NOT seeing any results. I've been eating like this for over a year and consistently losing and gaining the SAME blasted 2-5 pounds over and over again:sad: 2120 cals sounds outrageously high to me...VERY doable when I eat junky but yummy foods--processed foods, but hard as the :devil: when I eat like I love to eat, healthy, organic, light fare.

So, even though this topic has been written about much--If anyone is like me and is/was scared as the :devil: to dare to eat more to weigh less, will you please share your success story? How did you get your head around the eating more and what were your results and when did you start seeing results? :flowerforyou:

ETA: Here's my Stats....

Your BMI is: 32.4
Your BMR is: 1543
Your TDEE is: 2122 calories

Maybe I'm wrong and should be eating 1543 cals (which is also way more than I normally eat daily) per non-fasting days....that sounds more reasonable to me. Is it the 2122 cals (TDEE) or the 1543 (BMR) that I should be eating????

Replies

• sarahertzberger
    sarahertzberger Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    bump for responses, I've just began eating more too and I have seen a difference in the way I feel and in my body so we'll see
  • LeahT84
    LeahT84 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    The way I always see is that you should eat TDEE- 20%.

Look for the road map that people often get referred to, that should help you figure out what you're supposed to eat. I eat based on what my dietician and my doctor have planned for me, so I am of no help there.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

Look for the road map that people often get referred to, that should help you figure out what you're supposed to eat. I eat based on what my dietician and my doctor have planned for me, so I am of no help there.

{{{{{{{{{ :smooched: HUGS :smooched: }}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Thank you so much!!!! I subtracted 20% from my number and came up with 1695 cals on my non-fasting days!!!! This is A LOT more than I usually eat, but much more "reasonable" and much less scary and doable--with joy! YAY!!!

:flowerforyou:
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    TDEE is just an estimation and it can be off anywhere from ten to fifteen percent. SO if you calculate it at 2000 and you are off 15% on the high end, well that 20% cut just turned into a 5% cut..whoops...

You really need to go trial and error with your intake and find out at what number you lose, what number you gain, an what number that you maintain...

I pretty much know that if I eat in the 2000 to 2200 cal range that I will lose; if I eat about 2500 to 2600 I maintain, and 2601 and above I start to gain....
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

Thank you so much!!!! I subtracted 20% from my number and came up with 1695 cals on my non-fasting days!!!! This is A LOT more than I usually eat, but much more "reasonable" and much less scary and doable--with joy! YAY!!!

If you are 5:2 fasting you eat your TDEE 5 days a week and a lot less (usually around 500 calories) 2 days a week. The TDEE - 20% method gives you a goal to hit every day. If you were to combine it with 5:2 fasting you'd be undereating. Don't mix your methods.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    TDEE is just an estimation and it can be off anywhere from ten to fifteen percent. SO if you calculate it at 2000 and you are off 15% on the high end, well that 20% cut just turned into a 5% cut..whoops...

You really need to go trial and error with your intake and find out at what number you lose, what number you gain, an what number that you maintain...

I pretty much know that if I eat in the 2000 to 2200 cal range that I will lose; if I eat about 2500 to 2600 I maintain, and 2601 and above I start to gain....

Okay, terrific...this is soooo GOOD to know. Ya know, I'm pretty good and many things and pretty lousy/dumb with many things too. A couple of things I'm not so good at is math & technology stuff (even though I do by hand, complicated taxes each year--it's pretty much a miracle that I do them accurately---anyhoo, all that to say the calculator I used was with my TDEE @2120 cals....sooooo, I'll experiment with this 1695 (which is a lot) because do you think I should aim for the 2120 or the 20% less or the 1695? Thanks again so much for your reply!
  • gpiercebutler
    gpiercebutler Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    If you find it hard to get the calories in add in high calorie density food. Almonds, avacado, nuts in general, whole milk. You could make yourself a banana milkshake or a smoothie with yogurt, oats, berries and stuff in. Lots of extra nutrients as well as cals.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options

If you are 5:2 fasting you eat your TDEE 5 days a week and a lot less (usually around 500 calories) 2 days a week. The TDEE - 20% method gives you a goal to hit every day. If you were to combine it with 5:2 fasting you'd be undereating. Don't mix your methods.

{{{{{:heart: HUGS :heart: }}}}}}}

Ohhhhhhhhhh....okay!!!! By GEORGE, I think I have it now. Thank you EVER so much for your reply. :flowerforyou:

ETA: 2122 cals (I thought it was 2120) is a WAYYYYY lot--but I'll give it go, it's scary as :devil: to my way and understanding totally... I'll have to do this by FAITH for sure--yikes--I'm going for it:noway: :love: :indifferent: !
  • southerndream24
    southerndream24 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I eat my TDEE-20% at 1831 calories and I'm 5'3. I've followed if for 60 days. I started out 13lbs heavier than my pre-injury weight. I'm now back into my smallest jean size (which were way too tight 60 days ago), my ab lines are showing again, and I look better than I did before. I've concentrated on fat loss over weight loss and I couldn't be happier. Hope this helps.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    If you find it hard to get the calories in add in high calorie density food. Almonds, avacado, nuts in general, whole milk. You could make yourself a banana milkshake or a smoothie with yogurt, oats, berries and stuff in. Lots of extra nutrients as well as cals.

Terrific idea...I love Walnuts, Almonds, nuts and usually avoid them because of the high cal count...I'll add some today. I've also been avoiding steel cut oats for sometime, because of the high cal count...I miss that and will add that too. Thank you my dear:drinker: :flowerforyou: :drinker:
  • mommy3457
    mommy3457 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I eat my TDEE-20% at 1831 calories and I'm 5'3. I've followed if for 60 days. I started out 131lbs heavier than my pre-injury weight. I'm now back into my smallest jean size (which were way too tight 60 days ago), my ab lines are showing again, and I look better than I did before. I've concentrated on fat loss over weight loss and I couldn't be happier. Hope this helps.

What is your activity level?
  • southerndream24
    Options
    Exercise 6 days a week. Five days twice split between strength training and marathon training.
  • Docpremie
    Docpremie Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I started at 1200 & lost weight, but was tired & not quite right. I then hit a weight loss plateau. I calculated my TDEE (confirmed with Fitbit One) & BMR and adjusted by calories accordingly with TDEE-20% deficit. I've continued to lose weight & now feel great & have tons of energy. I have spent most of the summer doing heavy gardening, landscaping, etc. That has included moving 20 yards of topsoil & mulch by the wheel barrel load, lifting heavy concrete pavers to build retaining walls & edge beds, plus planted a ton of shrubs, trees & perennials. I could never have done that last summer, as I didn't have the energy & did NOT tolerate heat. This year it has been hard work, but not impossible. I've actually been quite proud of myself, as I've out worked my 18-20-something year old nieces many times over. They dropout & I keep going. We've completely redone/rebuilt my parents' yard & deck. I'm 54-y.o. & feel better than I have in more than a decade! It works!!!!
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    I eat my TDEE-20% at 1831 calories and I'm 5'3. I've followed if for 60 days. I started out 131lbs heavier than my pre-injury weight. I'm now back into my smallest jean size (which were way too tight 60 days ago), my ab lines are showing again, and I look better than I did before. I've concentrated on fat loss over weight loss and I couldn't be happier. Hope this helps.

:drinker: :heart: :drinker: YOU ROCK! Thanks so much for posting!!!
  • megginanderson
    megginanderson Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    dont you think that it also depends on your activity level?
    While doing Insanity, I ate 1900+ and lost 2 pants sizes. But after the 60 days I switched to a lesser program and I had to reduce my calories down to 1500 to continue.
    I just started Insanity again and increased again too, and continuing to lean out.
  • southerndream24
    Options

:drinker: :heart: :drinker: YOU ROCK! Thanks so much for posting!!!

Just realized I originally posted 131lbs and not 13lbs. Oops sorry!!!

But, yes I have melted away the fat and am looking better than before. I was training before this on around 1500 calories. I was always tired and had the skinny fat look. Not this time. I have insane energy, I feel great, and I'm more motivated than ever before.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options

Terrific idea...I love Walnuts, Almonds, nuts and usually avoid them because of the high cal count...I'll add some today. I've also been avoiding steel cut oats for sometime, because of the high cal count...I miss that and will add that too. Thank you my dear:drinker: :flowerforyou: :drinker:

That's funny...I seem to remember steel cut oats (a cup cooked) was like 600 cals when I used to eat it...checking out the food diary, and it seems steel cut oats are 300 cals now for one cup--interesting. Maybe I used to eat 2 cups back then.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    dont you think that it also depends on your activity level?
    While doing Insanity, I ate 1900+ and lost 2 pants sizes. But after the 60 days I switched to a lesser program and I had to reduce my calories down to 1500 to continue.
    I just started Insanity again and increased again too, and continuing to lean out.

My TDEE was calculated at "light exercising" I'll be doing (at least) 1 hour of exercising 3 times per week.
  • Lose30by2013
    Lose30by2013 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if I qualify as a success story *just* yet (smiles) but I can give you my experience. I recently had metabolic testing done (very similar to calculating your TDEE, but done in a doctor's office with oxygen masks and electrodes and all sorts of stuff). Turns out my daily needs (if I woke up and never moved - just my daily needs) are 1441 calories. I burn fat calories at a heartrate between 125 and 139 during exercise. Now - compare that my past - when "dieting" I ate 1200 calories a day. I killed myself with aerobics - insanity, kickboxing - you name it, I've tried it. And yes, I would lose weight, painfully slowly, and put it back on the instant I stopped. And since that kind of lifestyle (for me) was very hard to sustain - I always stopped at some point.

This is my second week on doing it the "right way." I eat back most of my exercise calories so I am eating in the 1700-1800 daily calorie range. I have energy. I feel better. I am sleeping better. My emotional mood is better. The first week I lost 1 pound. This week I am on target to lose 1.5. This thing is - I don't feel like I'm even working hard to do it. It's just - easy. It might be slow - a pound a week - but that's a good, healthy and sustainable goal for me. (As an aside, I still do Insanity, but it's probably hilarious to watch because I do it veeerrrrry slowly and I do it low-impact to keep my heartrate in fat-burning range - however, I'm not exhausted and I actually look forward to doing it. According to my heartrate monitor, I'm still burning 350 calories a workout.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    I'm not sure if I qualify as a success story *just* yet (smiles) but I can give you my experience. I recently had metabolic testing done (very similar to calculating your TDEE, but done in a doctor's office with oxygen masks and electrodes and all sorts of stuff). Turns out my daily needs (if I woke up and never moved - just my daily needs) are 1441 calories. I burn fat calories at a heartrate between 125 and 139 during exercise. Now - compare that my past - when "dieting" I ate 1200 calories a day. I killed myself with aerobics - insanity, kickboxing - you name it, I've tried it. And yes, I would lose weight, painfully slowly, and put it back on the instant I stopped. And since that kind of lifestyle (for me) was very hard to sustain - I always stopped at some point.

This is my second week on doing it the "right way." I eat back most of my exercise calories so I am eating in the 1700-1800 daily calorie range. I have energy. I feel better. I am sleeping better. My emotional mood is better. The first week I lost 1 pound. This week I am on target to lose 1.5. This thing is - I don't feel like I'm even working hard to do it. It's just - easy. It might be slow - a pound a week - but that's a good, healthy and sustainable goal for me. (As an aside, I still do Insanity, but it's probably hilarious to watch because I do it veeerrrrry slowly and I do it low-impact to keep my heartrate in fat-burning range - however, I'm not exhausted and I actually look forward to doing it. According to my heartrate monitor, I'm still burning 350 calories a workout.

What an inspirational and encouraging post...you ROCK!!!! :heart: :drinker: :heart:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!