Exercise to get rid of that pesky "bra bulge"

Options
So I've tried switching bra sizes, and changing strap length, etc...but unfortunately I can't seem to avoid getting that "bra bulge".

Can anyone suggest any upper/mid back exercises or any exercises that may reduce this issue? Maybe some good trap exercises or serratus exercises that I can do without a gym?

Replies

• jbonow1231
    jbonow1231 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Rather than different sizes, have you tried different styles or different brands?

Even with upper back exercises, if the bra really isn't the best fit for you, it may still lead to weird bunching or bulging.

Otherwise, there's this: http://www.prevention.com/fitness/strength-training/back-exercises-get-rid-bra-fat
  • emirror
    emirror Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I've only found two things to get rid of it:

1 - lower body fat percentage

2 - a bra like this one:
    http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/genie-bra-comfort-bras-medium-medium/ID=prod6091741-product

The ones I have (and love) were made by Spanx, but I don't think they make that style anymore.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Go braless of course. That fixes all of these issues.
  • sharonfoustmills
    sharonfoustmills Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    light weights will do it if you are not very overweight, if you are very overweight then keep losing weight and you can do these moves- by the time you get to normal weight you will look awesome

go here to see the moves http://www.fitnessblender.com/v/full-length-workouts/?body_focus[]=36
  • helenling
    Options
    My fitness instructor said that it's genetic and even she has the problem... :smile:
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    You cannot spot reduce fat, and women usually have a lot of fat in that area. Some of it is breast tissue.

Get fitted for a bra--that should solve the aesthetic problem.
  • emuravyeva
    emuravyeva Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I did the first week of Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred and a lot of my own bra bulge disappeared. You can find the videos online for free.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Reduce overall body fat. I know it's not what you want to hear, but it's the truth. I've lost over 30 lbs and gained some back in muscle in the last 2 years, and I've always had the "bra fat" (not a lot, but it's there when I wear a tight-ish bra). The only way for me to lose it is to probably get down to around 15-17% body fat. But I'm not comfortable in that range... so I'll deal with the "bra fat".
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    Your ticker says you have 20 lbs to lose.

When you lose that, the bulge will be gone.
  • fatalis_vox
    fatalis_vox Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I've actually done a lot of studying on bras lately, because it turns out I've been doing it wrong my entire life.

If you're having backfat/bra bulge issues, the bra is either too large or too small. (If the band is too large, then it could be pulling on the straps the wrong way, and causing the band to ride up, causing an upward pressure which can cause a "bulge." If it's too small, then it's biting into the flesh in the wrong way and causing the bulge above and below the band because the flesh has to go somewhere.)

Any woman of any size can have this issue. Here's the best way to check your bra size:

1) Take off your shirt and your bra. You want to measure your body, not your clothes.
    2) Bend over so that your back is parallel with the floor.
    3) Measure your ribcage at the base of your breast. Try to keep the tape as straight as possible. The tape should be snug, but not uncomfortably tight. This is your band size. No adding or subtracting random numbers, just use that as your base. (Of course, different women like bras in different sizes. I measure 30, I like to wear a 32 because it's most comfortable. Last time I got measured, they called me a 34, which is simply too big for me to feel spported.)
    4) Next, while still bent over, measure around your ribcage at the center of your breasts. Usually when bent over, this is in line with your nipples.
    5) Subtract the bust measurement from the band measurement and the difference is your cup-size.

1 inch = a
    2 = b
    3 = c
    4 = d

Etc.

The reason for bending over is because when you're standing, gravity is shifting your breasts around, making any measurements inaccurate. The ideal is to get all of your breast tissue into the cup. This also helps prevent the unflattering side-boob-under-arm-crease, because the breast tissue on the side of your ribcage (Because yes, breasts go over that far!) is no longer being mushed backward by a wire that's too small for the bast of your breast.

I can't access it from work, but when I get home I'll link a few charts and photo-references, as well as the original post from which I got this information.

I'd been wearing a 34B for the last fifteen years or so. Turns out I'm a 32D/DD (I've got a half-inch bust measurement and a whole-inch band.). That's a huge difference, and I've noticed how much difference it makes in my body when I wear a properly-fitting bra.

Good luck!

Edit: This isn't "it," but the information is pretty good.

http://www.wikihow.com/Measure-Your-Bra-Size
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    1.) make sure your bra properly fits

2.) continue to lose body fat (no such thing as spot reducing!!!)

3.) Wear a tank top- I often wear 2 shirts- it's easier and help smooth EVERYTHING out- and helps keep my shirt tuck where I want it.
  • losttogain
    losttogain Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Thank you all! I really appreciate your suggestions and will definitely take all of your suggestions to heart.