Food Irradiation - Solid argument for paleo

Options
I normally wouldn't post this type of thing but I'm sure a lot of people are completely unaware of how much rat feces is considered allowable in food by our governments. And that alone makes a solid argument to eat paleo style, IMHO.

Food irradiation is the process of treating food with a specific dosage of ionizing radiation.[1] This treatment slows or halts spoilage by retarding enzymic action or destroying microorganisms and it can also inactivate foodborne pathogenic organisms (reducing the risk of food borne illness). Further applications include sprout inhibition, delay of ripening, increase of juice yield, and improvement of re-hydration. Irradiation is also used to prevent the spread of invasive insect species that could be associated with fresh produce (e.g. fruit fly pests).

Ionizing radiation affects cells and microorganisms by damaging their DNA beyond its ability to repair, breaking down cell membranes and interrupting enzymic pathways. Organisms can no longer successfully continue the process of cell division. The major effect of irradiation is to generate short-lived and transient radicals (e.g. the hydroxy radical, the hydrogen atom and solvated electrons) that in turn damage DNA and intercellular structures. The target organism ceases all processes related to maturation or reproduction. At high enough doses the target organism does not survive.[1] Irradiated food does not become radioactive, as the particles that transmit radiation are not themselves radioactive. Still there is some controversy in the application of irradiation possibly due to it being confused with radioactive contamination and an imputed association with the nuclear industry, and also perhaps because people think that chemical changes will be different than the chemical changes due to heating food (as ionizing radiation produces a higher energy transfer per collision than conventional radiant heat). However, research has found that most, if not all, of the substances formed in irradiated food are also found in food that has been subjected to other processing treatments and are not exclusively formed by irradiation. Furthermore, the quantities in which they occur in irradiated food are not significantly higher than those being formed in heat treatments.[2][3][4][5]

Food irradiation is currently permitted by over 50 countries, and the volume of food treated is estimated to exceed 500,000 metric tons annually worldwide; however, the extent of clearances is varying significantly, from a single food category (dried herbs, spices and vegetable seasonings) in Austria, Germany, and many other countries of the European Union to any food in Brazil.[6][7][8][9][10]

Irradiation is a more general term of the exposure of materials to radiation to achieve a technical goal (in this context "ionizing radiation" is implied). As such it is also used on non-food items, such as medical devices, plastics, tubes for gas pipelines, hoses for floor heating, shrink-foils for food packaging, automobile parts, wires and cables (isolation), tires, and even gemstones.

Replies

• pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    Now I understand why I shouldn't eat legumes but highly manipulated brassica cultivars are ok. Irradiation!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Are you arguing for or against irradiation? The Wikipedia article that you cut and pasted doesn't seem to suggest that there's any risk associated with consuming irradiated foods other than the "imputed association" and perception.

and, what does this have to do with rat feces in food?
  • Summer_Lunatic
    Summer_Lunatic Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    My understanding of the article is basically irradiation is done, in part, to kill bacterias that are caused by rat feces. Among other things.
  • BrianSharpe
    Options
    My understanding of the article is basically irradiation is done, in part, to kill bacterias that are caused by rat feces. Among other things.

So then it's a good thing if it kills pathogens......
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    Are you arguing for or against irradiation? The Wikipedia article that you cut and pasted doesn't seem to suggest that there's any risk associated with consuming irradiated foods other than the "imputed association" and perception.

and, what does this have to do with rat feces in food?

It's a Wiki cut and paste? Oh dear.....

Also bear in mind that we can not eat like palaeolithic humans because the food you buy isn't anything like the food they ate. This even applies to the food you can grow at home.
  • Summer_Lunatic
    Summer_Lunatic Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Lunatic farmer - “Isn’t it incredible,” he asks, “that the people who put Froot
    Loops and Pop-Tarts at the base of the food pyramid, who
    tell us that feces in our food is OK as long as it’s irradiated,
    that GMO food is safe but raw milk isn’t—these are the
    people in charge of our food?”
    They’re also the people in charge of food labeling, and
    according to Salatin, the “organic” label just ain’t what it
    used to be.
  • stefjc
    stefjc Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I'm another who got lost there.

Isn't paleo about eating real food, so that, like all foods, would have been in contact with all sorts of erm, stuff.

I mean, do you really never ever eat a blackberry straight off the bush? Never wipe dirt of a carrot with your hand and munch it? Pick a peapod, bean and eat it?

I am absolutely certain that wherever you get your food from much of it has stuff on it you really wouldn't want to be eating.

So maybe irradiation is a good thing? If you are really worried about eating some rat poo then I won't mention the spiders we all eat every year. And what about the occasional fly you swallow, or worse the one that gets caught in your eye and wiggle through to your tear duct?

Most of it is extra protein - swallow don't chew, and move on!
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Show me the scientific study that hints at irradiation leading to negative effects. Until then, I'm not going to do what you expected people to do when they read your post: freak out

Edit: Also, the entire theory behind paleo is flawed. Eat like the paleolithic man because they never got cancer or heart disease because they didn't eat grains or processed foods. Yea well they also rarely lived past 30 years old so...
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,622 Member
    Options
    Of course this is why we're all fat and on a downward health spiral.

Or could it just be over consumption and lack of meeting nutritional needs?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • stefjc
    stefjc Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    But niner.... irradiating my food not only removes half of its vitamins and minerals it doubles its calories yet seriously prevents me from feeling full.

And anyway, you are horrible. You cannot possibly blame me, I had a childhood!
  • BrianSharpe
    Options
    Lunatic farmer - “Isn’t it incredible,” he asks, “that the people who put Froot
    Loops and Pop-Tarts at the base of the food pyramid, who
    tell us that feces in our food is OK as long as it’s irradiated,
    that GMO food is safe but raw milk isn’t—these are the
    people in charge of our food?”
    They’re also the people in charge of food labeling, and
    according to Salatin, the “organic” label just ain’t what it
    used to be.

I'll agree with you that Froot Loops & Pop Tarts suck (both in taste & nutrition) but you seem to be all over the map here.

Chances are that practically every farmer on the planet grows crops that have been selectively bred to increase yields etc....a form of GMO. GMO is not the villain that it's made out to be (I agree, Monsanto's business practices suck) and in many cases seems to be the lesser of 2 evils, have a crop that has a resistance to certain pests or use more pesticides - remember we have 7 billion people to feed on this planet. I've yet to see on really credible piece of evidence demonstrating the dangers of GMO (there's lots of fear fanned on by the tinfoil hat crowd).

The pasteurization of milk has saved countless lives over the last 120 or so years and that's a simple fact. If you believe PETA modern day milk is 99% pus, laden with bacteria (I know...... a load of nonsense). If you think that the health benefits of drinking raw milk outweigh the pathogen risk be my guest........
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering if maybe the OP has a concussion?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    we get radiated every day...by the sun...

should we black it out?
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Are you drunk? You posted a few shreds of information that are ridiculous when used together for a nonsensical conclusion.

Was this a troll?
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Not getting the connect between rat feces and Paleo. I'm sure paleolithic caves were infested with rats, and any stored food would likely be covered in rat droppings. Rats are not a modern invention.

btw - if you eat organic, you are going to be getting a lot more than rat feces on your food. Cow feces, sheep feces, pig feces, bat feces, human feces... and yes, probably rat too.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    huh.gif
  • caribougal
    caribougal Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Um, this post is a little whacked.

I eat Paleo most of the time. Well, I love dairy too, so technically Primal.

I do not worry about irradiation. Plus, there's no way to know what food has been irradiated, right? It's not on the label, is it?

That said, if you're choosing your fruits and veggies from local organic farms, it's probably not an issue. Same for your meats. But the reason for this is less about avoiding irradiated food, and more about supporting local and sustainable agriculture and eating more nutrient-dense and flavorful foods.

I wash my produce from the local farm, cuz guess what... critters can poop in the field, some humans who pick food the food or hand me the food might not wash their hands properly, and while bugs may be very nutritious and paleo-approved, I prefer not to bite into them unknowingly. Oh, and when I cook the food, I'm doing my own form of pathogen-killing through heat, although perhaps not as effective as radiation.

When I do eat factory-processed food, then I'd rather it be pathogen-free through irradiation.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

I do not worry about irradiation. Plus, there's no way to know what food has been irradiated, right? It's not on the label, is it?

That said, if you're choosing your fruits and veggies from local organic farms, it's probably not an issue. Same for your meats. But the reason for this is less about avoiding irradiated food, and more about supporting local and sustainable agriculture and eating more nutrient-dense and flavorful foods.

I wash my produce from the local farm, cuz guess what... critters can poop in the field, some humans who pick food the food or hand me the food might not wash their hands properly, and while bugs may be very nutritious and paleo-approved, I prefer not to bite into them unknowingly. Oh, and when I cook the food, I'm doing my own form of pathogen-killing through heat, although perhaps not as effective as radiation.

When I do eat factory-processed food, then I'd rather it be pathogen-free through irradiation.

This might be one of the few if not the first post ever on MFP that non-Paleo/Primal and Paleo/Primal people will actually agree on something in regards to this. :laugh:
  • caribougal
    caribougal Posts: 865 Member
    Options

This might be one of the few if not the first post ever on MFP that non-Paleo/Primal and Paleo/Primal people will actually agree on something in regards to this. :laugh:

LOL. Alert the news stations!
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    The point... I'm not getting it.