Disney world and diets

Options
We are heading to Disney World (16 days, woot!!!) and im wondering how I should go about counting my calories and my calories burned while there. I know from last time we went I will walk about 8 miles per day, but at the same time there are food I will be eating that I dont normally eat (creme brule mmmm)

Part of me just wants to say screw it and enjoy myself and it will all work out in the end. :/

Replies

• amandzor
    amandzor Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    If you don't have the MFP app for your mobile, I recommend it. It's quick, easy, and has a barcode scan feature.

A few days of "screw it" is fine, but if it's a week or two, I think you should definately still keep an eye out. Maybe not as much because it's vacation, but be mindful of what you're putting in to your mouth.

Take it one day at a time. Enjoy a snack or dessert once a day, rather than all day. It's the little choices that make the largest impact.

Most importantly, have a good time!
  • nyrina4life
    nyrina4life Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    We are heading to Disney World (16 days, woot!!!) and im wondering how I should go about counting my calories and my calories burned while there. I know from last time we went I will walk about 8 miles per day, but at the same time there are food I will be eating that I dont normally eat (creme brule mmmm)

Part of me just wants to say screw it and enjoy myself and it will all work out in the end. :/

I went to Disneyland, and spent 3 days there. My calorie burn was higher than normal because I was on my feet for a long period of time, walking and running and excited! We ate and didn't really watch the intake. Still came home with positive numbers.

It's a vacation, enjoy yourself. If it goes up 2 pounds it may be water weight so don't sweat it.

(I know someone will grill me for this, but ... oh well. I'm speaking from experience).
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind, too, that you will be walking all day
  • booyainyoface
    booyainyoface Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    there is lots of healthy food at disney, and getting a kids meal can save you some money and keep portions appropriate.
  • nathalier71
    nathalier71 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I actually lost weight while at disney! You walk soooooooo much you can't not lose weight! lol!

Enjoy every minute! It truly is a magical place (coming from someone who never wanted to go to begin with!)
  • melimama2
    melimama2 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    keep your portions under control and you'll be fine! It's a vacation...ENJOY!
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    A pedometer can cost as little as $5-$10 dollars, some of which track the calorie burn along with how many steps. That'll give you a better gauge of how much you're walking. Most of the foods you'll find there are in the database of MFP, so I'd suggest still tracking.

- Split foods you want to try with friends or family.
    - Drink water with every snack/meal.
    - Don't worry about it too much! If you know you're going to be over regularly, it might be an issue, but if you allow yourself to indulge in moderation you'll have nothing to worry about.
    - Hotel-room workouts. Bodyweight movements. Or the hotel gym.
  • laurahamm96
    laurahamm96 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I am going to put a pedometer with a calorie burned tracker on my shopping list, I totally forgot I could likely find one local. Thank you!!
  • hnsr1021
    hnsr1021 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I am going in a few months. :) SO excited! I plan on just trying to make sure I don't completely make a pig of myself, just stay mindful of what I eat and drink plenty of water. We have the dining plan plus (1 sit down meal, 1 quick service and 1 snack) So I figure that should keep me on a limit somewhat. Have fun!!!
  • eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I actually lost weight on a trip to Disney. So much walking!!!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Turkey legs...
  • nyrina4life
    nyrina4life Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, they have fruit stands now! :heart: :heart:

So there is an alternative, but truthfully, how often do you eat while at the park??? At most, I got a total of two meals, and most days it was just one. Not by choice, but with everything going on, it's hard to fit in food when you want to ride, rides. :happy:
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I'd just enjoy it. All that walking will negate most or all of your excess intake. Hell, last time I went on a vacation like that I lost 3lbs. Several hours of walking burns a surprising amount of calories. Who cares anyway, how much damage could you really do? A couple pounds? Oh no!

Have fun.
  • Adirafox
    Adirafox Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I've never been to Disneyworld (Land when I was a kid), but it's such a dream that I occasionally do research. And given how much I love food, I often read about the delicious food there. I seem to recall seeing an article about healthy choices at both parks, so if you google that, you might be able to make some plans for specific places to eat.

Another suggestion is to follow the "Slim Fast" rule....maybe eat sensibly for 2 meals, and then go WILD for one meal. Or decide which foods you MUST have, and resist the rest?
  • Adirafox
    Adirafox Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Plus, remember that everything there costs 5x what it would anywhere else, so that might help you walk past the funnel cake!
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    Log it, but don't fret it.
  • buzzcockgirl
    buzzcockgirl Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    We were at Disney World back in April, and I wore my pedometer most days just to see how much I walked. Like you- I think in an 8 hour day at a park, I walked around 5-8 miles. Not fast, but still-- lots of walking. I tried to be mindful of what I ate-- but I was away and not able to prep food at home (obviously!) so I was sure I'd gain at least a pound or two in 6 days. But I didn't!! I was shocked when I got home-- not a pound gained! I stayed away from all sodas and drinks- just brought tons of bottles of water into the parks in my backpack (froze them the night before and tucked 3 or 4 in my bag, refilled at water fountains as needed!) and then I bought their fruit at some of the stands, and a salad with chicken for lunch. My breakfasts were usually big (at the Jambo house hotel buffet) but I'd swipe an extra apple or two, and tuck those in my backpack as well. So really- water and apple and maybe a salad each day... then an 'ok' dinner...
    You just have to plan. Bring some snacks and water-- try to eat those each day. Allow yourself ONE favorite item each day- and try to choose something sensible off the menus at dinner time. Know that eating out at restaurants means tons of sodium-- so it's important to just drink lots of water each day. It can be done!!!
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Turkey legs...

Yes this!
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I don't know about Disney World but Disneyland has a lot of healthy options. I have a hard time resisting the corn dogs there, and usually I don't !
  • laurahamm96
    laurahamm96 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    We are on the dining plan, and we will be eating at a lot of buffets (need to see mickey!) so I am assuming I will be able to make semi good choices. In the long run I dont think going over for a few days with the added walking wll kill my progress.