Is a lot of urinating a sign for something?

Yasmine91
Yasmine91 Posts: 599 Member
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
Lately, I've been needing the toilet a lot even if I have a few gulps of some drink. I've heard that this is a sign of weight loss but I'm not sure.

I had a plip on monday and I had a sneak peak at the scales the next day and it said I gained 7lbs, maybe this was water?

What do you guys think?

Replies

• aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    I'm not sure about the water but if you went up 7 lbs, it's cause you're eating too much salt and or not drinking enough water. Divide your weight in half and drink that many ounces of water per day. Say you're 180. Drink 90 ounces of water per day. That translates to about 11 8-oz. glasses of water. This will definitely cause you to pee a lot.
  • Adusenka
    Adusenka Posts: 108 Member
    I thought that if you have to pee a lot, that may be a sign of pregnancy :flowerforyou:
  • Of course there are tons of reasons someone would be urinating more - obviously drinking a lot more water is one. Also if you are eating more fruits and veggies you are getting more water. It could also be a health issue though so if you aren't upping your water a lot and find you are urinating a lot more often then usual for a bit you might want to just ask your doctor about it. I am not trying to be a downer - but it's pretty much what lead me to realizing I had diabetes. I was peeing allllll day long and always thristy. This went on for months and I thought little of it but just happened to mention it at a yearl exam (back a few years ago when we had insurance). The doctor said hmmmm and ordered a test for me to take a few days later. Sure enough, diabetes. It can also be a sign of a UTI. So while most likely it's just from a change in your lifestyle habits (more water yay!) I wouldn't ignore it if it goes on. Also I know that most people LOSE a few pounds when they become diabetic - I of course skipped that symptom (the only one I didn't get was the one I wanted) and gained quite a bit but probably because I was getting headaches, feeling light headed etc... so I'd eat thinking that was what it was.

Anyway just my .02!
  • What I think won't be of much use to you .... But what your doctor says just might be of use. It could just be because of water retention, and that could be the cause of the sudden weight gain as well. These symptoms can be a warning of Type II Diabetes, and it's definitely a good idea to let your doctor in the loop. If it isn't you haven't lost anything except the time, but if it is diabetes you will get the treatment you need. This isn't meant as a scare ... And most DEFINITELY IS NOT to be taken as a diagnosis. Just info to consider.

KIM
  • Oompa_Loompa
    Oompa_Loompa Posts: 1,099 Member
    Oh my gosh you have nooooo idea how often I pee during the day. It's redic
  • yeah, i've heard diabetes... not to freak you out, though.
  • Could be a sign of diabetes ... However, more than likely if you drink a lot of water + eat lots of fruits & vegetables then its most likely because of that. Lots of fruits such as oranges, watermelon, etc. are basically flavored water lol. I wouldn't really worry too much about it but if it gets worse or you get worried then definitely go to the doctor.
  • healthygrl
    healthygrl Posts: 33 Member
    :laugh: Me too! It drives me crazy! I've even up in the middle of the night, once sometimes twice.
    Oh my gosh you have nooooo idea how often I pee during the day. It's redic
  • cbirdso
    cbirdso Posts: 465 Member
    I practically have go every couple of hours - even during the night - or I just about pee my pants, but I am NOT diabetic. Also, I eat a low sodium diet, not because MFP tells me to, but ever since I can remember, too much salt intake gives me horrible, painful, excruciating headaches.

I would mention it to your doctor, it could be nothing at all.
  • H_82
    H_82 Posts: 418 Member
    I have an itty bitty bladder when I drink anything. I drink a lot of water w/ lemons in it throughout the day, so needless to say, I pee a lot too. Nothing to be worried about, water just cleanses your system.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    What goes in must come out!....sooner or later. Sometimes you could swear that more is coming out than went in.....
This discussion has been closed.