Options
bushokie
bushokie Posts: 180 Member
how did you loose a 100 lbs and how long did it take

Replies

• 1JenMilam
    1JenMilam Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I logged my food. Made sure to watch my portions by weighing and measuring. I work out 5 days a week. It took just under 2 years to lose 115 lbs. That seems slow to some but if I only have to lose the weight once I'm good with the amount of time! :drinker:
  • NewMnky1
    NewMnky1 Posts: 264
    Options
    I started on a modified Optifast (two shakes a day, meal then a snack), did that for 6 months, then went to one shake a day and remaining meals for the day of regular food (for one month). Stopped shakes and started all food Dec 2012. Cardio (5 days a week) and strength training (twice a week), logging everything I eat and most of all willpower (willpower has wained a bit lately, but I am back on track).
    Started June 1, 2012, currently (Aug 9, 2013) at 132lb loss, still 7 more lbs to go.
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    I switched to a plant based diet and started doing a lot of walking. I think it took me about 10 or 11 months to lose the first 100 pounds.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Ate less than I burned.

Specifically, I weighed and measured my food, cut back my eating to proper portion sizes, ate more fruits and veggies, started exercising every day. I don't cut out foods I like. It took 13 months to lose 100#.
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    I didn't quite. :wink: But I lost 85 lbs in 18 months, eating around 500 calories per day under TDEE and exercising regularly. Then I reduced my deficit so I was eating just a little under maintenance and I've lost about 10 lbs since then (about 8 months).
  • JoshuaL86
    JoshuaL86 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Weighed and measured my food, worked out 5-6 days a week, increased fruits and veggies but still ate pretty much what I wanted. It took me about 10 months to lose 100 lbs.
  • bushokie
    Options
    awesome thank you
  • buckshot1969
    Options
    Originally I love 106lbs in one year kept it off 5years gained back 60 after a loss of a family member. Exercise 4 times a week, more veggies and fruit but honestly its all about portion control and logging your food. I never gave up Carbs, actually I never gave up sweets it was all moderation. Now the second time around I have lost 40lbs total I lost weight prior to finding MFP. Good luck to you!
  • fredf2112
    fredf2112 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Basically the same as others have said. Logged everything. Weighed the portions. Walking. C25k.
    I didn't set my original 'goal' to lose 100 pounds instead I did increments which I found less daunting. The first goal was 65 pounds. Then another 25 pounds. Then 15 pounds. And so on.

It took 240 days to make it past the 100 pounds total mark.

Hang in there, it is not impossible.
  • BoboGritt
    BoboGritt Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Consumed mostly whole foods, drank high volumes of water and exercise 6 days per week 60-120 minutes
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    My ticker says 86, but I lost about 20lbs before joining MFP last October 1st. So it took me about a year to lose 100lbs. My entire philosophy is eating at a weekly average calorie deficit. That's all it takes for successful weight loss. I do not believe in depriving myself, so you will see some 'dirty/junk' foods in my diary, (chocolate bars, Poptarts, chips, ice cream, etc make up about 10-20% of my daily calories) and you'll see some over days and some under days. I don't worry about sodium or sugar, only water, fiber, and meeting my macro goals. But it is a lifestyle I find sustainable. I also exercise. I started with Aquafit classes and bought a recumbent bike and then progressed to running on a treadmill and kickboxing classes. I have a Bodymedia Fit and that has helped me keep an accurate weekly deficit. Most days I burn 3000-3500 calories and eat 2000-2500 calories and I am getting fitter and do not feel ever deprived.
  • lilbearzmom
    lilbearzmom Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Well I did have WLS, but I work my butt off to keep on program. So, calorie restriction (low carb, high protein) and moderate exercise. Lost about 123 lbs in 16 months and 20 lbs to goal.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Lowered the amount of calories I was taking in and figured out a way (could barely walk when I started @ 560 lbs. so used the pool at our YMCA to be able to stand long enough to exercise) to get moving.... My first 100 lbs. I took off in 6 months to the day..... Best of Luck
  • prdavies1949
    prdavies1949 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Portion control, weighed and measured everything that went in my mouth, cut back on the booze. Home cooked food instead of prepackaged rubbish. Revised all recipes to cut back on cooking oil, butter, fats. Started running, Went to the Gym in winter. Cals in less than cals out. Still ate all of my favourite things but in moderation. Booked a cruise for 1 year ahead as motivation. (Had to lose weight to get into a new tux for the formal evenings) No pills, tablets, or quick fixes. No fad diets. Just MFP forums.
    It took me 10 months
  • 6spdeg
    6spdeg Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    i did 120lb loss... over prob 5 yrs did hardcore dieting and exercise for about 9mos out of the year then took off 3 gained about 15 ea time to let my body rest. was hoping for not so much excess skin but.. still got stuck with lots.

This was a life change so now for the past say 2 years i lift alot 5 days a week and some cardio here and there and i've ran few races just to see what i could do for some conditioning and to break the monotony. Now i could still stand to lose about 20lbs but seems impossible lol... trying lots of different things just cant break it.

Im holding at about 17% BF.

My body type is easy gainer and just simply eating less than i take in unfortunately isnt that simple for my body. Really have to find what works for your body.
  • pienthesky32
    pienthesky32 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I started with Weight Watchers to lose the first 80 pounds in 11 months. Then for financial reasons I quit WW and continued the good habits I had learned and transitioned to MFP. Since I've been solely on MFP, I lost another 27 pounds in 8 months.

In a nutshell, what was different for me this time is I became friends with like-minded people who I could talk endlessly about getting healthy. I weigh and measure everything and try not to estimate anything. I log religiously, even the crap. For the first time in my life, I got moving, for me it was Zumba that changed my whole outlook on activity. I discovered that exercise did not have to be something I dreaded and avoided. I occasionally try weight lifting but I haven't found the "love" for it yet. Find something you love.

I never cut out a food group or something I love entirely, however I am learning what foods fill me up, and which foods leave me ravenous. I am making choices that I can live with forever. I finally realized that it isn't important to have "x" amount of pounds off in "y" amount of time. No matter how fast you get to the finish line, the race is never finished.

I would have to say that finding my PATIENCE and JOY in the journey is what is keeping me on track.
  • sabrafox
    sabrafox Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Lowered the amount of calories I was taking in and figured out a way (could barely walk when I started @ 560 lbs. so used the pool at our YMCA to be able to stand long enough to exercise) to get moving.... My first 100 lbs. I took off in 6 months to the day..... Best of Luck

This is amazing and so inspiring.
    Heck, every story on here is so inspiring. Kudos to all of you. Thank you for reminding us that this is a marathon and not a sprint.
  • bushokie
    Options
    This is truly inspiring ..no joke I willgo to these awesome stories daily and remind myself I can do it..thank you
  • bushokie
    Options
    awesome again thanks
  • long2know
    long2know Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I posted this on your wall too, but figured I'd share here as well.

I lost 110 lbs in about 10 months (from roughly July of last year until mid-March of this year). My "success" story is here as well:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912120-from-fat-to-fit

At any rate, I started with a low-carb diet to lose some weight quickly. The main reason for this was that I was obese and couldn't really walk/run or do any exercise without severe pain in my legs.

Once I had lost about 45-50 lbs, I ditched the low-carb diet and switched to calorie counting with My Fitness Pal. This was late October/early November, I used MFP's pre-defined settings of a 1.5 lb/week goal which, for me, equated to about 1500 calories per day. I tracked religiously and never once exceeded my daily goal. In addition to tracking, I added exercising and was doing walk/runs daily. I quickly ramped up my distance and basically became a running addict. To this day, I still run nearly daily.

By mid-March, once I got down below 190, I decided to just maintain. My weight has stayed in the 183-188 range since that time. I like this weight. From my previous tracking, I developed pretty good eating and exercise habits. So, I don't really track my calories any more. I do however, still track my weight and exercise and remain conscientious about what I eat. As you may notice from my profile, I set my new baseline at 190 lbs because I don't have plans to let myself exceed that weight again. I want to look to the future rather than be reminded of or live in the past. Effectively, I feel like I closed that chapter of my life by shedding the weight.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!