Would you log walking to the gym?

Options
Would you log walking to the gym? I walk .75 miles to and then .75 miles back (at a pretty fast pace since I'm normally running late to the class lol). I consider it a good warmup/cooldown. I typically don't log it, but since I do it 4-6 times a week maybe I should? What do you think? Would you log it?

Replies

• SergeantG
    Options
    Hell yeah I would log it :smile:

I mean, if you are walking there as part of your 'workout' and warm up, why not? That is a mile and a half round trip....15-20 minutes of additional work out time (if you were walking 15 min miles)....
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    I would log it, especially since you're going at a brisk pace. (:
  • WhatAnAss
    WhatAnAss Posts: 1,598 Member
    Options
    I would totally log it...it's kind of like a warm up and a cool down lol
  • focknfree
    focknfree Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Log it!
  • FrankiesSaysRelax
    FrankiesSaysRelax Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I wouldn't. But if you are eating back workout calories.. feel free to add them in.
  • TipTopMMR
    TipTopMMR Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    For sure log it!!!!!
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    Yup- I'd be logging that!!
  • funkyspunky872
    funkyspunky872 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    I personally wouldn't log it. Instead, I'd change my overall activity level (under Goals on the main page) to lightly active or active.
  • sarahruizfitnessjourney
    Options
    Yep I would log it, it's like your warm up / cool down. Especially if you are going at a brisk pace I would for sure log it.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,607 Member
    Options
    I log my leisurely walk to the gym, even if it is 10 minutes each way. Maybe I am just greedy for calories. But watch out eating low level exercise back, if your HRM reports gross calories (ie you would have to subtract x minutes worth of BMR).
  • crisbabe81
    crisbabe81 Posts: 170
    Options
    I would log it. I walk to and from work and you better believe I log those calories. :)
  • dlionsmane
    dlionsmane Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    If you know how many miles it is and you know how long it takes I would log it. You can find out the MPH by dividing .75 by the number of minutes it takes to walk and then multiply that by 60.
  • jerryvo
    jerryvo Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I would say it depends on what lifestyle factor you chose when you calculated your TDEE. If you said sedentary I would log it because it is an activity that would be out of the norm for that group. If you said you live an active lifestyle I would NOT log it as that has already been taken into consideration to calculate your TDEE and you have already accounted for burning those calories.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Since from your diary you rarely meet your calorie budget and you don't eat back exercise it would be kind of a mute point.
  • Alairissa
    Alairissa Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    yup. :)
  • jess6742
    jess6742 Posts: 146
    Options
    Since from your diary you rarely meet your calorie budget and you don't eat back exercise it would be kind of a mute point.

Sorry I should have put a disclaimer. I'm in the middle of being tested for Ulcerative colitis and Crohn's disease. I normally eat 1500-1600 calories when I'm not having issues. I'm starting to feel like this flare up is coming to an end so I am looking forward to eating normally again! I guess I'm just wanting as many calories as possible lol
  • RockinTerri
    RockinTerri Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I definitely would!
  • sealey0418
    sealey0418 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    It depends what your activity level is set at.. If you have it set to reflect that you live a moderately - highly active lifestyle (which is what I would assume by the nice shape you are in on your display pic!) then your walking places is just you being active. I have mine set to sedentary since I have an office job, although I am walking around the office to and from printers and offices all day and I take public transportation and am up and down stairs and such and walking around for errands.. I have 40+lbs I want to loose and I am determined.. I dont want to take any chances!
    Because, of this I have no shame in counting my to and from walks to my subway line , a 30 minute walk each way at 3.5mph, I could take the bus but , I am making concientious decision to walk ansd work in some extra activity.
    Walking IS excercising !!!! Whether you log it or not should really depend on if you already accounted for it in your daily activity level when you were factoring your daily calorie goal..
  • footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    I personally don't log anything less then 20mins.

I walk my dog A LOT and I take him for quick sprints around the block, they're 10 minutes. I don't log them.

His morning and after work walks are betwen 25mins to 35mins, I log those but at 1 calorie.

I'm not burning much walking.
  • Melissa22G
    Melissa22G Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    I do if I run or power walk- but not slowly walk if that makes sense.