Finished my first 5K -- running down depression

Options
Axe34
Axe34 Posts: 37 Member
Well, I did it. I finished my first 5K run this morning, clocking in at just under 35 minutes. While that's hardly the equivalent of qualifying for the Boston Marathon, if you could have seen me just two months ago, it's pretty much the same thing to me.

I was at my lowest point physically, and it sure wasn't helping my mental health either. Being off work with depression has been difficult enough, without the added burden of being overweight and out of shape. It's quite common to see this in people who struggle with mental health.

Us depressives have little energy to work out and we also eat for comfort. We then get more out of shape and eat for comfort, which leads to even less energy to work out. And so it goes.

After my last physical on June 18, I decided enough was enough. I not only started the Couch to 5K program (which I've now finished more than a week early), I made drastic changes in the way I approach food.

Two months later, I'm proud to say I've lost 18 pounds, my blood pressure's down 20 points, I can now run 5K without stopping and yesterday biked 24kms.

Are there days I don't feel like doing anything? Sure. The depression and anxiety are still there but they seem more manageable lately. My self esteem is up and, for the first time ever, I'm looking forward to working out for its own sake and not just the results.

Today when I hit kilometre 4 I actually picked up the pace and focused on how strong and efficient my breathing's become. Not to sound corny, but it was a wonderful thing to experience, especially for someone who could barely finish mowing the lawn two months ago.

Next stop -- Base Borden 5K in October!

1012437_10153119382270174_202020757_n.jpg

Replies

• FlabFighter86
    FlabFighter86 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    That's great! Well done. I am recently diagnosed with depression and am working towards 5k. I always have a good day after a run. I stopped for 3 weeks and my depression just got worse. I hope you keep it up. You are an inspiration.
  • slhass10
    slhass10 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Nice Job!!! I came from a family that suffers from depression, it can be a very difficult issue to work through and overcome. Looks like you are doing great!!
  • WhatAnAss
    WhatAnAss Posts: 1,598 Member
    Options
    Great job! Keep it up!!
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Grats I too was diagnosed with depression along with many other stressful Life issues. Running has not only allowed the depression to fade away without any meds but also allowed me to loose weight get fit and eat better (Still binge on ice cream everynow and now). Grats again
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Excellent! Welll done, and here's to your future running career!
  • LAnne16
    LAnne16 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I have anxiet and depression too... Im so excited to start running tonight adn see where it takes me... See if I can work through my issues with working out (running, walking, weight training)

Congrats on your success!
  • lblert
    lblert Posts: 55
    Options
    Congratulations!

I have major depression, as well, and I know how hard it can be to simply get out of bed in the morning or get dressed. I started running a couple of months ago and I feel better than I have in years. It really has done wonders for my depression and anxiety.
  • Axe34
    Options
    Thanks everyone.

It is certainly tough enough grappling with mental health on a daily basis -- something healthy people take for granted every day -- so it makes it extra special when we accomplish things in spite of our illness.

That's what my father always tells me when I'm down on myself because of the things I've missed out on because of depression -- he'll say "Look at all you've accomplished even with your condition!"
  • anikarox75
    Options
    Amazing job!! You must be extremely proud of yourself!! I was exactly the same before, I had depression and anxiety and always ate junk food to lift my mood leaving me with no energy. I started exercising at the beginning of july and its amazing the transformation-mentally and physically. Keep up the good work!
  • Axe34
    Options
    Just ran 10K.

As Ron Burgandy would say, "Well, that escalated quickly!"

I guess I was using runner's logic -- if I can run 5k, surely I can run 10. =)
  • LAnne16
    LAnne16 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Good job!!
    I started C25k. I had assumed they'd be taking me 5k, so I started on my 5k route I usually walk... But then it was over after like 1.5K
    So further on in the walk every few minutes I'd see if i could keep running... I actually ran for 17minutes!
    It might not seem like a lot, but for me, it was HUGE accomplishment. I went home feeling like I was the master of my own mind and body.

I hope that feeling stays :D
  • terrance250
    terrance250 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Awesome! You set a goal for yourself & and then accomplished it. Bravo sir! Now on to the next :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!