How to manage weight loss and drinking?

Options
I don't drink much but gonna have a party this weekend that includes lots and lots and Lots of alcohol and basically I wanna drink and drink enough to feel really good but I heard alcohol has a lot of calories how do you manage that? Should I workout twice as hard the day before or the day after or should I lower my daily food calories? I'm sooo confused!

Replies

• Krista916
    Krista916 Posts: 258
    Options
    Don't think to much about it. Just consider it a cheat day. You can't out exercise lots and lots of alcohol.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    One day won't kill you. Stick to clear liquors for your lowest calorie hit.

However, if you are determined to meet your daily goal, then you could exercise beforehand to "earn" your drinks or reduce how much you are eating.

Just stay hydrated.
  • slatts75
    slatts75 Posts: 32
    Options
    And dance!
  • prdavies1949
    prdavies1949 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    In the last 10 months during which I have been quite successful in losing weight, there have been a number of occasions when I have had to be "sociable". In fact on a number of occasions I have been "sociabled" out of my mind. All I do is enjoy the party then get back on the new lifestyle the next day and get on with my life. It won't derail your weight loss as long as you do get back on the wagon straight away.
  • Shelby1582
    Shelby1582 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    ok don't listen to anyone else. I got this---

I did not want to give up drinking just to get in shape and I didn't. Guess what? I still got results and am at my smallest size ever with a 6 pack. All with alcohol. I tried to drink a little less than before but it really hasn't been that much less. I just work out five days a week and eat healthy and I make sure that my cocktails are low-calorie. I love white whine and drink that and haven't had a problem. I'll drink low calorie beer too or vodka and soda with lemons. There are flavored waters too and I mix those with vodka and it's delicious and the only calories are coming from the vodka.

It can be done, yes it may slow you a little but I continued to have success with my weight loss while drinking.
  • crisbabe81
    crisbabe81 Posts: 170
    Options
    One day won't kill you. Stick to clear liquors for your lowest calorie hit.

However, if you are determined to meet your daily goal, then you could exercise beforehand to "earn" your drinks or reduce how much you are eating.

Just stay hydrated.

^^^ This. Log honestly (as best as you can). I would work out so you have some extra calories. Depending how far over you go you can shave 100-200 calories a day to make it up. Then it will be like it never happen.

I find personally the day after drinking (as long as I didn't drunk eat) I'm down, even if I went over calories. This is because alcohol is a diuretic. I did, however, have a gain the following day.

Drink responsibly. And it's one day. One day won't undo all the work you have put in thus far. :drinker: Cheers
  • candifeola
    candifeola Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    vodka soda 64 calories just saying
  • klp1017
    klp1017 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I drink 1-2 times a week. I just make sure I do it on a day I burn a lot of calories, I eat a lower calorie dinner (usually just a protein and lots of veggies), cut out my nighttime snack and drink vodka waters. I'm 90% of the time under within my calorie goal and it hasn't stopped my weight loss yet.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Weight gain and drinking have always gone hand and hand with me. With that being said, one night of partying does not make a failed diet.
  • seventysix06
    seventysix06 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    probably the biggest risk is the next day--when you want bacon and grease for bfast, then maybe lunch and so on. so prepare for that accordingly. make sure there's something decent in the fridge. Oh, and drink plenty of water (at least two glasses) before going to bed. maybe a turkey sandwich too. :)
  • lesspaul
    lesspaul Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Red wine.
    Light beer. (I can't stomach the stuff myself)
    Rum, Vodka, or Whiskey mixed with diet sodas.
  • WinwillLose
    Options
    One day won't kill you. I would however suggest you avoid the scale for a few days after and drink extra water to flush your system. For me the scale is crazy cruel after a few cocktails, so it's better to avoid it for a day or two and be extra careful not to skip workouts and watch the food immediately following. I'll be having some cocktails tonight, I mix my wine with 0Cal Flavored Sparkling Soda water, so I'm drinking socially but not killing the diet.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    ok don't listen to anyone else. I got this---

I did not want to give up drinking just to get in shape and I didn't. Guess what? I still got results and am at my smallest size ever with a 6 pack. All with alcohol. I tried to drink a little less than before but it really hasn't been that much less. I just work out five days a week and eat healthy and I make sure that my cocktails are low-calorie. I love white whine and drink that and haven't had a problem. I'll drink low calorie beer too or vodka and soda with lemons. There are flavored waters too and I mix those with vodka and it's delicious and the only calories are coming from the vodka.

It can be done, yes it may slow you a little but I continued to have success with my weight loss while drinking.

I am sorry but you just disqualified yourself from giving advice with that low calorie beer thing.

OP, just drink whatever you like--it's a special day. To incorporate alcohol into a restricted calorie diet on a more regular basis, plan for it and log it as you would anything else. You will soon figure out which drinks require more room in your plan. On days when I plan to have more than one or two drinks, I make sure to get all of my protein right.
  • WinwillLose
    Options
    And if there is dancing, by all means Dance.
  • TheBitSlinger
    TheBitSlinger Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    If you're going to drink, rampage through downtown Tokyo while doing so.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    I am ashamed to admit.. i've been drinking the enitre time and I am losing. (I swear I'm going to to stop tomorro ha..) The biggest danger is if drinking tempts you to eat pizza and junk food. That's really how it can ruin the weight loss.:drinker:
  • xtruexlove1988
    xtruexlove1988 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    have vodka it has the lest amont of cals n can mix with any thing
  • xtruexlove1988
    xtruexlove1988 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    smart!!!
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    have vodka it has the lest amont of cals n can mix with any thing

this, but watch out for the mixers- they can get expensive calorically. Stick to club soda (seltzer) with a piece of fruit; My "usual" when I used to drink 4 nights out of the week was ketel one and club soda. If you need a bit of sweetness, add a splash of cranberry.
  • BrofessorPHD
    BrofessorPHD Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    as anyone else has said - clear liquids with diet soda...don't even worry about your macros

/end thread