Using MFP During Pregnancy?

Options
So... My Fitness Pal is pretty amazing during pregnancy. I am using it to keep track of my calories so I dont end up eating for two! Ha ha. Also, it helps me to input my cardio to see how many more calories I need to be consuming throughout the day so I wont lose weight! Are there any ladies out there who have used MFP effectively during pregnancy to help keep up with calories and activity?

Replies

• taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/1903-fit-fabulous-pregnant

A whole group for pregnant ladies.

Also, congrats on the pregnancy :)
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Im 16 weeks and Im still using it. My doctor wants me at 2200 calories but that seems far too much so Im sticking to 1800. So far Ive been bouncing between 0.9lbs gained and 2.4lbs gained. Not bad for 4 months.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    I did! I was about 20 lbs overweight when I got pregnant. I netted a 0 weight gain in my first 20 weeks because of how sick I was, so it was good to have something to help make sure I was eating enough calories (but not too much). My total gain was 17 pounds, which was about right considering where I started (as per my doctor).

After my little one was born, I kept using MFP to track, and there is even an entry for breastfeeding (it's under food, and gives you negative calories :wink: )

There's also a couple of groups/thread out there of pregnant women. Or at least, there were 2 years ago
  • AwesomelyAmber
    AwesomelyAmber Posts: 1,617 Member
    Options
    I've followed many friends' pregnancies here and let me tell you.... I WISH I HAD KNOWN ABOUT MFP when I was preggers!!! Maybe wouldn't have put on 57# of the 63# I had lost prior :grumble: :blushing:
  • dandelyon
    dandelyon Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Yes, this pregnancy is off to a much better start than my previous ones, thanks to MFP giving me a closer relationship with moderation and accountability :p
  • MelMoly
    MelMoly Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    I did! and it was about 6 months before I got to my pre weight! :flowerforyou:
  • Seaglass1123
    Seaglass1123 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I hit my goal weight right before getting pregnant. I am using it to keep my calorie intake where it should be and stay active. I still have the support of all my awesome buddies (and still support them as well) and I am so thankful for that.

Congrats and wishing you a happy and healthy pregnancy!
  • JennypegMarie
    JennypegMarie Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Hi guys, I know this is a fairly old topic but one I think will be used a lot.

I'm 6 weeks pregnant and noticing a weight gain already!

3lbs on this week. I'm still sticking to my 1400 calories a day to loose weight before I can talk to my midwife but never expected to quickly gain like that, I know some gain is inevitable during pregnancy but can anyone give me any advice on weight gain or diet with pregnancy? I would be very grateful.

I've still got 42lbs to loose on my weight loss journey so, any advice on trying to maintain or be careful during pregnancy would be great.

Thank you :)
  • timberowl
    timberowl Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I have never been pregnant and have no medical background, but one of my coworkers was pregnant and the doctor told her to eat an extra 300 calories per day.

I'd just plug my stats into MFP and add 300 calories to whatever it says your daily target is.

You could also try getting a BodyMedia arm band (I have one and love it) and it should automatically take into acct any extra calories you're burning by making that baby!

If you search the food database, you'll see "breastfeeding" and it'll give you extra calories for the day. =)
  • jshay295
    jshay295 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    These threads can make me nervous. I'm not a pregnant woman by any means, but please, if your doctor recommends a certain number of calories please do your best to reach it! So many defects can be caused by the mother's malnutrition. If you really think your doctor is off with calorie estimation, find a doctor whose opinion you trust.

I really, really, am not trying to come across as being rude, I am simply genuinely concerned for the growing life inside of you.

Congratulations on your pregnancy :)
  • minimalistmom
    Options
    I counted calories my first 2 pregnancies putting on only 15-20 lbs. and it caused problems. This time around I counted up until about 20 weeks, then the doctor advised me not to count calories, instead to make healthier choices. It worked for me in the sense, I put on about 38-40 lbs., I having a c-section a week and a half ago, and I'm an inch away from fitting my "fat" jeans which are size 18 just after 2 weeks and I'm still retaining fluid. Never have I done that after 3 pregnancies.

I am also one who think eating balanced contributes to how you gain and lose weight. I eat balanced most of the time, when I do want to splurge I half the portion size, but that's what works for me.

Use your best judgement and do what works for you. I say, don't count but log your food, eat what you want in moderation, and enjoy your pregnancy. Now is a time about you and baby, not just you.

Congrats and best of luck!
  • dandelyon
    dandelyon Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Hi guys, I know this is a fairly old topic but one I think will be used a lot.

I'm 6 weeks pregnant and noticing a weight gain already!

3lbs on this week. I'm still sticking to my 1400 calories a day to loose weight before I can talk to my midwife but never expected to quickly gain like that, I know some gain is inevitable during pregnancy but can anyone give me any advice on weight gain or diet with pregnancy? I would be very grateful.

I've still got 42lbs to loose on my weight loss journey so, any advice on trying to maintain or be careful during pregnancy would be great.

Thank you :)

Check out the group linked above. If you didn't eat an extra 10k calories then you didn't gain 3lbs - bloating is super common in early pregnancy and if you've been losing weight, you may not recognize it as bloating (I didn't, because my pants still fit fine!) Hormones are being dumped in your body left and right and you WILL see the weight on the scale fluctuate as a result.

I would recommend eating at least maintenance calories, unless your doctor specifically okays you to eat less, and if you go that route you'll want to pack your diet with nutrients. If your doctor just says "you can/should eat less because you are overweight" then I would seek a second opinion.

I don't think there is any harm in logging all your food, because on the weeks you DO have a big "gain" you can at least say, "well, it's not pounds of fat." But there certainly can be harm in restricting your calories if you are not getting enough nutrients. I found that aiming for protein, calcium, and fiber goals made it a lot harder for me to fill up on sweets.
  • JennypegMarie
    JennypegMarie Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Thank you all guys for you input on this subject, I am going to talk things over with my midwife, I am conscious of baby's needs as well as keeping a healthy Mummy.

PS Dandelyon was right I didn't eat 10K extra that would have taken an amazing McDonald's meal to do that! lol... I am very bloated. I'm -2 lbs since.

I'm not going to be majorly worried regarding the scales now understanding the fluctuates with being pregnancy. Thanks again for this support. I will update on how my pregnancy goes!
  • spunkone
    spunkone Posts: 13
    Options
    I'm back to using MFP while I am pregnant mainly to make sure I am eating ALL the food groups and to track my calories. Last pregnancy I actually lost twelve pounds but not from trying to lose weight, I had quit drinking alcohol and pop which was about 7 or 8 lbs of that and the rest was eating healthier then I had been. This time around I really want to eat healthy. I don't care if I lose or gain during my pregnancy as my health nurse and doctor said as long as I am not trying to lose weight and I am eating healthy, if I lose great and if I don't "oh well". My health nurse also told me not to start adding calories until the second trimester then only add 100-200 calories then in the third trimester to add 300-400 calories.
    I do wish MFP would add something to track the amount of food group servings you have logged and how many more you need for the day.
    I also think that when I have the baby, I will already be on track with MFP to continue my weight loss journey the healthy way.
    Does anyone know anything about exercising while pregnant. I haven't done much all winter cause it has been sooooo cold but now that it is getting nice, I would like to get out and start walking and going swimming and stuff. Does anyone know how fast or how much I should increase my exercise?
  • kerryradz
    kerryradz Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I'm back to using MFP while I am pregnant mainly to make sure I am eating ALL the food groups and to track my calories. Last pregnancy I actually lost twelve pounds but not from trying to lose weight, I had quit drinking alcohol and pop which was about 7 or 8 lbs of that and the rest was eating healthier then I had been. This time around I really want to eat healthy. I don't care if I lose or gain during my pregnancy as my health nurse and doctor said as long as I am not trying to lose weight and I am eating healthy, if I lose great and if I don't "oh well". My health nurse also told me not to start adding calories until the second trimester then only add 100-200 calories then in the third trimester to add 300-400 calories.
    I do wish MFP would add something to track the amount of food group servings you have logged and how many more you need for the day.
    I also think that when I have the baby, I will already be on track with MFP to continue my weight loss journey the healthy way.
    Does anyone know anything about exercising while pregnant. I haven't done much all winter cause it has been sooooo cold but now that it is getting nice, I would like to get out and start walking and going swimming and stuff. Does anyone know how fast or how much I should increase my exercise?

Hi, I'm 33 weeks pregnant and using mfp to ensure i'm getting enough cals each day, most days i actually go over - if you can't enjoy that extra biscuits when you're pregnant when can you enjoy it? lol My midwife told me that I shouldn't start exercise unless I was exercising before frequently, not even light jogging :( although she did say try walking, yoga and swimming as it is less stress on your body so if i was you i'd just start with these :)