Need suggestions to stop boredom snacking

Options
Hi guys today is a very slow day at work.... I notice when it's slow and I am bored, I wind up finding stuff to snack on to kill time. This really doesn't help with my goals on trying to lose weight. But I need some advice on ways to stop myself from reaching for something to snack on.

Replies

• TStevens78405
    Options
    Have a glass of water instead! :)
  • EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    I keep some healthy snack at my desk to munch on
    but before I munch do to boredum I check MFP and see if I have room...if I don't then I wont eat it or find something that will fit.

Also I find stuff to do like clean my desk or reorganize the files on my PC
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Find some way to not be bored?

Sorry, that's about all I have.
  • griffith5150
    Options
    Yah done the water thing.. LOL Problem is water comes in... water has to go out! :bigsmile:

Yah I might do that... I been going through my files seeing what I can do. Just hate really ssssssssssssssllllllllllllllllllllooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwww days :sad: its hard because I have ADHD with makes it worse... gotta keep busy or yah... I can get into sooo much trouble :devil:

Yeah trying to find something not be bored lol
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    what's wrong with that?

I purposefully drink water to get me up and moving- I try to get up every hour or so- do walking lunges whatever to keep moving.

Don't have snacks at your desk- OR plan your caloric intake around your snacking.

I snack all day long too- but they are all pre-portioned snacks- I know exactly how much I'm eating and what I eat for the day.

Snacking isn't in and of itself bad- it's bad when you snack- AND eat 3-4 600 calorie meals a day.

I do push ups- squats- planks- and find new music- and of course candy crush. :D
    design new costumes- try to find websites work doesn't block.
  • lisasumner14
    lisasumner14 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I always like to munch when I get in from work so I've had to try and find alternatives. I find that a big plate of cucumber and tomatoes is always good. Perhaps with some ground pepper and balsamic vinegar. Yum. Not many calories either. Like, 50-70 max
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I have pre-portioned snacks at my desk too...almonds, beef jerky, edamame, carrots, the odd time I'll have hard candies. I really struggle with the bored snacking. I also have yummy flavored tea, that seems to help. I also torment my FL on my personal feed on MFP by listing all the foods I want to chow down on :bigsmile:
  • griffith5150
    Options
    I don't work a call center per se, but I do a lot reports for our customers who call in, so I have to stay near the phones. I go through 64 oz water or more through an 8 hour ****, so after awhile I can't hold it.

I thought of using bubble gum to distract me... might be an idea..
  • griffith5150
    Options
    Definitely have the veggies at the desk might be the trick, love apples too so... that might help also :)

Yah I love teas so that might help also thanks!
  • allison0102
    allison0102 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I concuur with above posts. I also plan out snacks. I actually take a lunch box to work daily and inside is a treasure chest of pre portioned snacks that all fit into my daily calorie goal. Foods like carrots, cucumbers, bell pepper sticks have almost no calories so they are great if you find you're cutting it close. Anyway, it seems to be working out pretty good for me to do it this way. Also, I find that when I'm sufficiently hydrated, I tend to not crave as many boredom snacks. Do you have any cool desk toy puzzles, slinky whatevers, slime balls, etc that may help to keep your hands busy when you're bored? Could be something else to try...
  • serafin366
    serafin366 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I pack my bag with tons of fruits and veggies, and eat every couple hours through the day .... carrots, cherry tomatos, celery, grapes, apples, oranges, cucumbers, granola, nuts, string cheese ... keeps me busy without a ton of calories.

Also, I keep scrap paper near by to plan meals, goals, exercises when its slow or I need a couple minute break.

I think someone else mentioned gum.
  • mellypeters09
    mellypeters09 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Spend time researching stuff for weight loss or success stories for weight loss. That's what I do when I am bored. (I don't know what you are able to do at your work though). It helps keep you busy and motivates you to keep eating healthy or maybe even plan a little bit of exercise for later!
  • x_cinder_x
    x_cinder_x Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Some ideas:

* Low calorie hard candies and/or gum.

*Keep a "goal" picture visible. Mine is currently a Halloween costume I want to be able to pull off this year ;)

* Ask management for projects to work on. If they don't have anything bring some ideas to them, like an office walking challenge or find
    a local charity to raise $ for.

*Day dream about something romantic. Hey, who wants to eat when your doing that :laugh:
  • griffith5150
    Options
    Spend time researching stuff for weight loss or success stories for weight loss. That's what I do when I am bored. (I don't know what you are able to do at your work though). It helps keep you busy and motivates you to keep eating healthy or maybe even plan a little bit of exercise for later!

Thanks! That's actually a good one because I do need to figure out what app to use to start adding a more serious strength training program in my weight loss goals
  • nmiller0813
    Options
    Keep Healthy snacks at your desk, along with maybe some gum.
  • threesixten
    threesixten Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I chew Orbit peppermint gum.. I find it stronger/longer-lasting than most gums...it prevents me from wanting to eat anything because I wouldn't be able to taste it anyway, and it keeps my mouth busy.
  • kristamarie91
    kristamarie91 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I do jumping jacks or go for a walk or something else when I want to eat when I'm bored! Find an exercise or a really low calorie snack if you can't resist:)
  • Tony_Brewski
    Tony_Brewski Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    Buwhahaha! I thought the thread header was "Need suggestions to stop BEDROOM snacking" hahahaha - teach me to leave my glasses at home!
  • rosy_08
    rosy_08 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I'm quite the snacker as well, and a nail biter (gross, I know) when I'm bored or have little else to do. What helps me is to have portioned out snack baggies at work. Usually mine are full of unshelled raw sunflower seeds from Sprouts. They're not salted, so that's good to keep sodium intake low, and since they're unshelled you have to work for the seeds. It takes a while to get through. I do the same thing with roasted, unsalted peanuts sometimes. Just make sure it's ok for your diet and calorie budget.

I hope this helps! :)
  • dlionsmane
    dlionsmane Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    OP - pre-portion snacks that fit into your calories and eat those. I eat (at my desk) every two hours so I eat a lot of snack during the day. Its all healthy stuff an fits into my calories for the day. I also drink a ****ton of water so I am getting up bunches during the day but its all good. Increases my number of steps tracked by my fitbit... ;)